Heard an Unexpected Rush Song in Public Today

RushBoingo

Well, I was out at a late movie tonight (Hunger Games if anyone cares) and while I was in the bathroom before leaving the theatre (This is at roughly 1:00 AM) Rush comes on the overhead speakers. Now this in itself is no biggie, and normally I would fill with excitement, but one of the oddest song choices came up...THE BIG WHEEL !?! Well, I will say its not totally weird that its playing for it is a rock rush song (unlike the odds of hearing the likes of Tai Shan or BU2B2 which I equate to seeing pigs fly), but the song choice was totally out of left field. Makes me wonder if there is an employee who slips on his iPod once all the managers are gone.

I never really thought much of The Big Wheel in the broad spectrum of Rush, but hearing it there reminded me, its a pretty decent cut from the album, and I love the chorus.

Any similar experiences from you guys?

I am a bigger fan of that song than most people, I think. I had it in mind for one of the deep tracks that I would like to have heard on the Clockwork Angels tour, but that didn't happen.

Anyway...yes, interesting.

• Like 1

I am a bigger fan of that song than most people, I think. I had it in mind for one of the deep tracks that I would like to have heard on the Clockwork Angels tour, but that didn't happen.

Anyway...yes, interesting.

One of my favourite nineties Rush songs, I really like it!

When I was in Vancouver in 2012 to see RUSH, I visited the Rock Shop to find some more rush t-shirts. They were playing all rush all day. Fountain Of Lamneth started playing as I was about to leave.

I would have stayed until it was over. :laughing guy:

• Like 3

I heard the CA album playing in a fashion store. There I was shopping for...stuff...and lo and behold! Awesome music! I flipped and all the poshies looked at me like I was a tramp...lol such picky posies...

I looked better than them anyway.

(Jk jk)

The classic rock station I my hometown regularly plays Limelight, Fly By Night, and Closer to the Heart. Daily at least one of them. At night I once heard Cygnus X-1 (wee hours). Locally owned station. Manager must be a fan.

I made a topic similar to this, but I'll share you my story.

One day, I was bowling with a friend of mine and the radio was playing a combination of hits from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 2010s. Right after they got done with the song Timber by Ke$ha and Pitbull, I began to hear a very familiar drumbeat and synth-bass pattern and it wasn't until I heard "We've got nothing to fear but fear itself, not pain, not failure, not fatal tragedy?" I had a HUGE shit eating grin on my face the whole song. I mean, when I think of a Rush song being played in a bowling alley, I think of Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Subdivisions, Closer to the Heart, or maybe, just maybe, Dreamline. But The Weapon? I wouldn't have predicted that in a million years.

I was at a Rush show and heard a boatload of Snakes & Arrows...

As unexpected as it can be on a tour called Snakes & Arrows. :P

For me The Big Wheel is one of the better songs from a so-so album, considering the Rush standard. Really a great tune and very unexpected to hear in public.

In the late 70's and early 80's we had a thing going on here called Charly 2000. It was kind of a rock circus, traveling over the land with their very nice and fat sound system, blasting the local halls. Those were times when up to 1500 people gathered in a small hall just to listen to 70's Hard Rock songs. :hail: :smoke:

Back then I was there everytime they came through and they never played a Rush song for years. One night I went nuts as I heard the introduction from ATWAS...and I marched up...for Bastille Day.

Great memories.

• Like 1

I was at a pub once indulging in some hot wings when Lakeside Park started playing. I froze with a wing 6 inches from my mouth and my jaw dropped in awe. My friend told me to stop drooling over the waiter that I didn't even notice at our table. It was an awesome/awkard moment.

When I was in Vancouver in 2012 to see RUSH, I visited the Rock Shop to find some more rush t-shirts. They were playing all rush all day. Fountain Of Lamneth started playing as I was about to leave.

I would have stayed until it was over. :laughing guy:

I did stick around to listen to it, and ended up buying a Roll The Bones hoodie. More stores should play Rush, it'd help them take my money.

• Like 4

My classic rock station has the usual stuff in the rotation - Tom Sawyer, Limelight, CTTH, TSOR, Working Man, and Freewill but has played Subdivisions and Red Barchetta on occasion. Once in a very blue moon they'll pull out the single version of 2112, The Trees, or Dreamline.

My active rock radio station plays about half of those and still has Headlong Flight in VERY heavy rotation. Really shows the staying power and how the boys really hit it out of the park with that one.

Weird times:

The dining center at Iowa State has played By-Tor, La Villa Strangiato, and Xanadu before.

My active rock radio station has played Stick It Out a couple times, and even pulled out Test For Echo one time.

Is anybody watching the Winter Classic? It's the outdoor NHL game that is always played on January 1st. They just played YYZ.

If they were playing Wheres My Thing instead, then I'd be more like "HOLY SHIT!!" YYZ is kind of a popular song.

They play Rush at hockey games a lot, but it usually is Tom Sawyer. During our college football season one of the intros was the opening of Subdivisions, not really weird but I was happy they used it. Now if they played OLV...that would make sense :laughing guy:

The two best examples I can think of are...

July 2012

-My then-girlfriend and I are at a local club where our friend Corey (from the Syracuse-area band Candid) was playing a solo acoustic set before the rest of the evening's bands (which were mostly local metal bands, oddly enough) were to go on. Corey gets up and does his thing, then while the second band is setting up their gear, the venue was playing piped-in music over the PA. I start to hear this weird clanging sound, like a train-crossing...then these familiar strings...DIN-Din-dinnnn, DIN-din-dinnnn....DIN-din-dinnn, DIN-Din-dinnnn...I looked at Jen and said "Holy $hit, that's Caravan!" So I rock out for the rest of the song, and was like "wow, that's pretty cool." Then I start to hear this spacey intro, and some familiar slow strumming. I turn to Jen again and said "Holy $hit, that's BU2B! They're playing the new Rush album!" Unfortunately, by the time BU2B was over, the next band had finished setting their gear up and was checking the levels on their guitars. But it was cool that whoever was manning the between-bands PA music was giving CA some play.

October 2012

-Jen and I are driving around Syracuse running errands in her car, and I have it set to 96.9, which is one of those mostly-classic/slightly-modern-rock stations where in a given music set you'd hear White Wedding, followed by Crazy Train, followed by some new Five-Finger Donkey Punch song no one's ever heard of, followed by Welcome to the Jungle. You know what kinda station I mean. So on their way to commercial the DJ goes "after the break we'll have some Van Halen and Rush..." So we endure the commercials, then as promised, Van Halen (I think it was either "Panama" or "Jamie's Crying"...some sort of DLR goodness), and then I hear some familiar, bright-sounding Alex Lifeson strumming. I was like "Wait a minute, this isn't one of the Big Seven (TS, TSoR, Limey, Freewill, WM, FbN, CttH)." It took my brain a few seconds, as CA had only been a few months old at that point, but it was The Wreckers! That was pretty cool. Jen just rolled her eyes, as always, but I was pretty happy. She never truly "got" Rush, but she was a trooper, having attended four of my eight live shows. I'm sure she's glad she never has to hear them again. I'm pretty sure her new boyfriend has never heard of them.

They play Rush at hockey games a lot, but it usually is Tom Sawyer. During our college football season one of the intros was the opening of Subdivisions, not really weird but I was happy they used it. Now if they played OLV...that would make sense :laughing guy:

I heard One Little Victory at a hockey game once.