Nine Inch Nails

Lou Reed

The Smiths

The Spinners

Sting

Stevie Ray Vaughn

War

Bill Withers

Feels obvious Green Day will get the induction, beyond that I feel Stevie Ray Vaughn and Kraftwerk deserve the induction as well. Thoughts?

Bout time Stevie Ray got nominated but as usual no metal or prog bands.

Here's a thumbs up for War and The Spinners. Both are very worthy, especially War.

Edited by driventotheedge

Green Day? Seriously, Green Day?

They have some good tunes, but that's about it.

Green Day? Really?

I will give you some context. Green Day (along with The Offspring) were leaders in the second wave of Punk Rock, and it's main stream acceptance. They also were perhaps the last band to have any hard rock sound to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 (with 2004's Boulevard of Broken Dreams). They are very influential to groups to this day as well. The Rock Hall looks at music as well as cultural impact and lasting influence on rock, and Green Day holds up well in all three categories. I personally think their songs are great too, and reviews tend to agree. They are perhaps the closest thing to prog-punk we will ever get too, considering that they have written 2 multi-part 9 minute songs, two concept albums in the form of rock operas, and a three album trilogy. None the less, these guys do probably deserve it.
  • Like 1

Green Day? Seriously, Green Day?

They have some good tunes, but that's about it.

Green Day? Really?

I will give you some context. Green Day (along with The Offspring) were leaders in the second wave of Punk Rock, and it's main stream acceptance. They also were perhaps the last band to have any hard rock sound to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 (with 2004's Boulevard of Broken Dreams). They are very influential to groups to this day as well. The Rock Hall looks at music as well as cultural impact and lasting influence on rock, and Green Day holds up well in all three categories. I personally think their songs are great too, and reviews tend to agree. They are perhaps the closest thing to prog-punk we will ever get too, considering that they have written 2 multi-part 9 minute songs, two concept albums in the form of rock operas, and a three album trilogy. None the less, these guys do probably deserve it.

how about some of the bands that made green day possible? and NOT just the goddamn ramones, pistols and clash!

• Like 1

but anyway, some of these guys are pretty deserving, and if rap is in and not goin anywhere, well, NWA are as deserving as anyone.

it blows that we still don't have some heavy metal (besides sabbath and metallica) or any prog rock besides rush, floyd and genesis. but who cares anyway?

it blows that we still don't have some heavy metal (besides sabbath and metallica) or any prog rock besides rush, floyd and genesis. but who cares anyway?

Gotta say I couldn't give a fig either way...hows the Kate listens going these days Bathory? :popcorn:

I'm surprised at this list. Only ones I would consider worthy would be Stevie Ray and Sting. I agree about Green Day. What were they thinking? Edited by EagleMoon

I'm a huge Sting fan, but I think it's a crime that he may get in before Yes or Deep Purple.

And Smoke on the Water is such a huge song, especially for beginning guitar players. Deep Purple should be in just for that song if they did nothing else.

• Like 1

Bill Withers? Isn't that the guy who did that song "Ain't No Sunshine" eons ago? Did he ever have another hit?

Yes. "Lean On Me," for example, is an iconic song. Withers also had hits with "Lovely Day" and "Use Me," among others.

I actually find him quite deserving, alongside the Spinners. That aside, I cannot believe Yes still did not receive a nomination. They've sold approximately 40 million albums, and are widely considered one of, if not the best, artists from a genre that they were instrumental in establishing. Moreover, they have influenced more artists than the Rolling Stone Magazine/Springsteen coterie is willing to acknowledge.

OH GOD YES SRV!!!11!1!

Sting deserves it as well.

Green Day?? Nine Inch Nails??? How about we swap out those groups for ones that don't suck? You know...the ones we've been waiting for for years...Yes, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden...

Bill Withers? Isn't that the guy who did that song "Ain't No Sunshine" eons ago? Did he ever have another hit?

Lean On Me was the only one I equate with him. I think it came out when I was in 7th grade....