First album you bought with your own cash

Pags

They were a real fun band, but went well past their sell-by date around the mid-80s. But I loved the albums 'Quo', 'On the Level' and 'Blue for You'. These three albums stayed away from the mainstream crap being brought out on singles. Also, their 'Live' album from 1972 is a must.

Yes, they produced a lot of 'samey' music, but they were fab live. Good for a good ol' rockin' time. trink39.gif

Edited by rickyrob

First album I bought with my own money would have been Captain Fantastic by Elton John when it first came out in ...hmmm... 74 or 75??

First record I owned was These Boots Are Made For Walking by Nancy Sinatra. I bugged my parents to buy it for me. I was 5 or 6 (1965/66) and still living in England. It was a big hit and played on the radio all the time.

I never bought any 8-Tracks, but somewhere I have a copy of 2112 on 8-Track autographed by Neil Peart.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 9 2005, 06:09 PM)
All the worlds a stage- first vinyl purchase

Animals was my first 8 track purchase followed by Nevermind the bullocks........

Wholesome music for a young man to listen to! wink.gif

ohmy.gif

Nevermind the Bullocks was one of the first albums I ever bought. My parents tried to throw it away, and I dug it out of the TRASH!

biggrin.gif

If I remember correctly... one of the first CDs bought with my own money (earned from working a catolog delivery, 88 Wishbooks though 7 apartments...) was either Spice Girls or Backstreet Boys (before I discovered GOOD music) Almost ashamed to say...

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Aug 9 2005, 10:53 PM)
I can't believe I'm admitting this but it was 1979 I believe and It was Amy Stewart 12" single of "Knock On Wood.
062802puke_prv.gif

HEY!! I have that 12" single, and I love that song. cool.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 10 2005, 03:55 AM)
I can't believe I'm admitting this but it was 1979 I believe and It was Amy Stewart 12" single of "Knock On Wood.
062802puke_prv.gif

Sings

"I don't wanna lose you,

you good thing........."

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 10 2005, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 9 2005, 06:09 PM)
All the worlds a stage- first vinyl purchase

Animals was my first 8 track purchase followed by Nevermind the bullocks........

Wholesome music for a young man to listen to! wink.gif

ohmy.gif

Nevermind the Bullocks was one of the first albums I ever bought. My parents tried to throw it away, and I dug it out of the TRASH!

biggrin.gif

I kept mine in a plastic sleever with a strategically placed sticker over the offending word.

Still have it on vinyl, but got a CD replacement a few years ago.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 10 2005, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 10 2005, 03:55 AM)
062802puke_prv.gif

Sings

"I don't wanna lose you,

you good thing........."

OMG - now it's playing in my head. laugh.gif

That's it. I'm putting it on. I have it loaded in my mp3 player.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jul 30 2005, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (queenshall @ Jul 30 2005, 05:16 AM)
QUOTE (queenshall @ Jul 30 2005, 04:06 AM)
wink.gif I think it was one of Roxy Music's albums, cannot remember which!! wink.gif

wink.gif I'll pick your brains, the cover had Jerry Hall dressed as a Mermaid, any idea's anyone? wink.gif

Not sure - taking a guess. Don't know if this is Jerry Hall or not. Is it Stranded?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000256KM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Or is it Siren?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000256KK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

wink.gif Yep it was Siren....thanks for that wink.gif

http://www.lyrics.com/p/placebo/placebo.jpg

Placebo's debut album entitled 'Placebo' was the first CD I went out anfd bought with my own cash. I'd heard it being played round one of my friend's house and thought it was fantastic. Bought it, loved it, still love it, bought all the others near instantly from amazon! cool.gif

AC-DC "Let there be rock" and Rush "All the worlds a stage" was my first 2. My Brother is 6 years older so I just listened to his records until the late 70's and I started buying my own.

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/140/140367.jpghttp://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004YWE4.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Like 1

The first albums I bought weren't with cash, but with gift cards on iTunes, so...this is tougher cuz I have to recall the first album I bought on CD probably.

Probably these five CD's at once:

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

Styx - Paradise Theater

Mumford & Sons - Babel

The Beatles - Abbey Road

but the thing is...that was a kind of allowance money. The first album I bought with my own cash that I earned myself would have to be something I bought offline during freshman year of college, when I had my first job as a sandwich maker on campus. So that would have been...hm. It's hard to say because that year my Dad sent me a number of gift cards...so I may not have bought anything with my own money for a good while into the year...

It would have been one of these:

Soundgarden - Superunknown

David Bowie - Low

Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Getaway

Rush - Exit... Stage Left

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town

The Killers - Hot Fuss

Green Day - Revolution Radio

The Charlie Parker Quintet - Jazz At Massey Hall

Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

Emerson, Lake, & Palmer - Emerson, Lake, & Palmer

The Beatles - Revolver

REM - Life's Rich Pageant

or Megadeth - Rust In Peace

I'm leaning towards it being somewhere between Superunknown and Hot Fuss.

• Like 1

I can't remember that far back. :codger:

I know that the first 45 I ever bought with my own money was Rag Doll by The 4 Seasons. Was 8 or 9 years old.

I think the first album I ever bought was a Rolling Stones album or The Byrds.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road when I was eight or nine. I had obsessively been listening to the family copy of Elton John Greatest Hits and wanted more Elton John. Saved my money and went to Tempo (like K-Mart). I remember a couple older girls -- Jr. High probably -- behind me in the checkout line say, "That kid has good taste!" I felt proud, I thought "I DO have good taste!" :cool:

Anyway, I didn't know at that age what to make of All the Girls Love Alice but I sure did love side 1: Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, Candle in the Wind, and Bennie and the Jets. Great stuff.

• Like 1

The soundtrack to Battlestar Galactica...or so I thought. It was the disco version. I was so bummed I almost cried because I didn't think I could get a refund. I got a refund, about a year later I got the correct album on 8 track tape.
  • Like 1

My memory sucks. I can't remember for the life of me what it was. Once I started buying albums with my own money, I bought them up in bulk pretty quickly after that.

AC/DC was the first band I collected the whole discography from. So, it's a safe bet that it was probably one of theirs. Razor's Edge or Back In Black was more than likely it.

• Like 1