People that call them self for Rush-fans and then complain

YYZumbi

I feel some of you are a bit strict with your definitions. A man can love Yes's 70's albums and think they're the greatest albums in the world and still dislike everything they've done since. It's not whether or not you're a "true fan", it's whether or not you like it and everyone has a right to their opinion. Someone could just like 2112-Moving Pictures and that's fine. They could still consider them a huge fan because maybe that period meant something special to them or made them feel something that none of the others do. There are folks here that love Test For Echo while others loathe it. I'm not going to say they're any less of a fan.

that's kinda how I feel about yes. anything after drama is zzzzzzz

I feel some of you are a bit strict with your definitions. A man can love Yes's 70's albums and think they're the greatest albums in the world and still dislike everything they've done since. It's not whether or not you're a "true fan", it's whether or not you like it and everyone has a right to their opinion. Someone could just like 2112-Moving Pictures and that's fine. They could still consider them a huge fan because maybe that period meant something special to them or made them feel something that none of the others do. There are folks here that love Test For Echo while others loathe it. I'm not going to say they're any less of a fan.

that's kinda how I feel about yes. anything after drama is zzzzzzz

I like the Rabin era stuff.... but I digress.

• Like 1

But it's also completely fine to dislike what the band is currently doing or to dislike certain aspects of them like Geddy's current voice or some of Neil's lyrics. I'd prefer to be among fans that are diverse in opinion rather than fans that blindly follow a band and condemns any negative opinion. It keeps boards like this around longer than one's following bands in complete unison.
  • Like 4

But it's also completely fine to dislike what the band is currently doing or to dislike certain aspects of them like Geddy's current voice or some of Neil's lyrics. I'd prefer to be among fans that are diverse in opinion rather than fans that blindly follow a band and condemns any negative opinion. It keeps boards like this around longer than one's following bands in complete unison.

Nice ^^^^^

I agree.

Were fans, we're allowed to like stuff, and hate stuff and thanks goodness there are places like this that allow us to discuss our loves and hates.

• Like 1

i dont like much maiden past live after death...or any really...

I'm late to the party here, but obviously everyone has their right to their own opinions. I don't think much of Rush before A Farewell To Kings (Though Fly By Night is an exception (the album)). Having said that, I don't consider People who hate post MP to be true Rush fans, they are fans of their influences, the general genre, and therefore enjoy the albums that rush was most heavily influenced by the music they grew up with. Now they can be fans of Rush during that era, but I think a true rush fan has at least a respect for everything they have done, unlike the haters who say they should not have changed whatsoever.

With all due respect. I couldn't disagree more. I have read tons of posts around here over a decent period of time and your use of the word "hate" is a bit much. I am obviously a "non-liker" of post Power Windows stuff in general. I love the band as much as anyone and won't take a backseat.... :)

I completely and fully disagree with this in pretty much every way imaginable. First of all, very few RUSH fans "hate" everything post MP. I don't like that you conveniently leaped to that gross exaggeration to make your flawed point seem more defensible. I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of fans on this forum at least respect what RUSh has done post MP. or at least some of it or we probably wouldn't be here.

Secondly, to say devotees to RUSH's 70's fans are not fans of RUSH, but merely "fans of their influences, the general genre", is pretty ridiculous. The greatest thing about RUSH is that they never really fit into any genre. They created their own sound that was distinct and unique from other hard rock bands. I am as big a fan of RUSH (especially early RUSH) as you will find, and I don't really even like The Who (one of their biggest influences) all that much, outside of a few songs anyway. For roughly the first 5 years or so after i discovered RUSH, I barely even listened to anything else.

Lastly, you say that you "think a true rush fan has at least a respect for everything they have done" but you also said "I don't think much of Rush before A Farewell To Kings". Seems a bit contradictory to me, and by your own argument, you yourself cannot even be considered a "true rush fan".

I am of the opinion that as RUSH fanatics, we are all brethren who share a common bond. I think it's great that there is such passionate younger generation of RUSH fans who love the music they have produced later in their careers. But I also think it's important to remember that without the older fans of RUSH, there would be no post MP RUSH for you to enjoy.

Alright maybe I should elaborate a bit here. What I am getting at is that I meet people (none on this site, I mean in the common public) who would say that they are Rush fans that are close minded and think they suck after MP. I retaliate that they were changing, wanted to try new things, don't want to repeat themselves, to which they would just say well that was a stupid decision. These are the kind of people I was talking about when I wrote my initial post. They are fans of 70s prog and hard rock, and they like Rush's output from that timeframe because they like the general genre. But to call themselves a general rush fan while (like I said) not at least respecting what they did after moving pictures. These people are what I don't call Rush fans. If they were at least understanding of what Rush was doing, I would feel completely different towards them. There are people who just don't like the sound of synthesizers, or grungy rock etc. There are plenty of people on here who don't feel great about their 80s or 90s output, but respect them for it, because it seems to me that they understand and accept that change they made.

I was not trying to upset anyone with that initial post and am sorry for not elaborating.

Some additional comments for Empty Mindless Spectre:

Like I said above, I am not talking about people on this forum, I have never found anyone on here who I have questioned why they signed up.

Most of the people I talk about are people who listen to hard rock radio, they know the Rush that gets played on there, and think of themselves as fans, only to get pissed off when they find out what they did that does not get played on those stations.

Rush is unique, but so are many other bands. I am not saying that everyone likes their influences, but again, these people that I talk of, they kind of mush Rush in the heap of 70s hard rock and think of themselves as fans for liking what they hear on those stations

When I say I don't think much of Pre A Farewell to Kings, I mean that kind of hard rock is not my cup of tea, so I don't listen to those albums much, it's not for me. But I see where they were coming from and don't think its bad music. I pop on the albums once in a while on a low volume, they just don't compare to some of their other albums in my humble opinion, when they were more developed and diverse as musicians, but everyone starts somewhere.

You're last point is good, and I respect that. Without people to love the old music, we would not have gotten the new music. Having said that again, I don't consider people Rush fans if they don't understand why they changed their sound, why they wanted to grow. Maybe if they at least read a bit more into them, listened to some of their deeper cuts, then I think they would understand at least where they were going. But when someone like this calls themselves a Rush fan, it becomes apparent to me they are a fan of 70s hard rock on the radio, or not a fan of synthesizers (it seems to be a 50/50 toss up with people I meet). Finally I do occasionally meet people who did love them up to MP, had every album knew every songs, etc. This is where the divide is, if that fan says, "they suck after MP, they should have just stuck to their sound", then I don't think they are a full Rush fan, they are a 70s rush fan, but if they say "I don't like what they did after MP personally, but I understand why they changed" then I think of them as a full Rush fan, which as far as I have seen, every one on this site is a full Rush fan.

Do you see what I am getting at here?

• Like 1

I'm late to the party here, but obviously everyone has their right to their own opinions. I don't think much of Rush before A Farewell To Kings (Though Fly By Night is an exception (the album)). Having said that, I don't consider People who hate post MP to be true Rush fans, they are fans of their influences, the general genre, and therefore enjoy the albums that rush was most heavily influenced by the music they grew up with. Now they can be fans of Rush during that era, but I think a true rush fan has at least a respect for everything they have done, unlike the haters who say they should not have changed whatsoever.

With all due respect. I couldn't disagree more. I have read tons of posts around here over a decent period of time and your use of the word "hate" is a bit much. I am obviously a "non-liker" of post Power Windows stuff in general. I love the band as much as anyone and won't take a backseat.... :)

I completely and fully disagree with this in pretty much every way imaginable. First of all, very few RUSH fans "hate" everything post MP. I don't like that you conveniently leaped to that gross exaggeration to make your flawed point seem more defensible. I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of fans on this forum at least respect what RUSh has done post MP. or at least some of it or we probably wouldn't be here.

Secondly, to say devotees to RUSH's 70's fans are not fans of RUSH, but merely "fans of their influences, the general genre", is pretty ridiculous. The greatest thing about RUSH is that they never really fit into any genre. They created their own sound that was distinct and unique from other hard rock bands. I am as big a fan of RUSH (especially early RUSH) as you will find, and I don't really even like The Who (one of their biggest influences) all that much, outside of a few songs anyway. For roughly the first 5 years or so after i discovered RUSH, I barely even listened to anything else.

Lastly, you say that you "think a true rush fan has at least a respect for everything they have done" but you also said "I don't think much of Rush before A Farewell To Kings". Seems a bit contradictory to me, and by your own argument, you yourself cannot even be considered a "true rush fan".

I am of the opinion that as RUSH fanatics, we are all brethren who share a common bond. I think it's great that there is such passionate younger generation of RUSH fans who love the music they have produced later in their careers. But I also think it's important to remember that without the older fans of RUSH, there would be no post MP RUSH for you to enjoy.

Alright maybe I should elaborate a bit here. What I am getting at is that I meet people (none on this site, I mean in the common public) who would say that they are Rush fans that are close minded and think they suck after MP. I retaliate that they were changing, wanted to try new things, don't want to repeat themselves, to which they would just say well that was a stupid decision. These are the kind of people I was talking about when I wrote my initial post. They are fans of 70s prog and hard rock, and they like Rush's output from that timeframe because they like the general genre. But to call themselves a general rush fan while (like I said) not at least respecting what they did after moving pictures. These people are what I don't call Rush fans. If they were at least understanding of what Rush was doing, I would feel completely different towards them. There are people who just don't like the sound of synthesizers, or grungy rock etc. There are plenty of people on here who don't feel great about their 80s or 90s output, but respect them for it, because it seems to me that they understand and accept that change they made.

I was not trying to upset anyone with that initial post and am sorry for not elaborating.

Like I said above, I am not talking about people on this forum, I have never found anyone on here who I have questioned why they signed up.

Most of the people I talk about are people who listen to hard rock radio, they know the Rush that gets played on there, and think of themselves as fans, only to get pissed off when they find out what they did that does not get played on those stations.

Rush is unique, but so are many other bands. I am not saying that everyone likes their influences, but again, these people that I talk of, they kind of mush Rush in the heap of 70s hard rock and think of themselves as fans for liking what they hear on those stations

When I say I don't think much of Pre A Farewell to Kings, I mean that kind of hard rock is not my cup of tea, so I don't listen to those albums much, it's not for me. But I see where they were coming from and don't think its bad music. I pop on the albums once in a while on a low volume, they just don't compare to some of their other albums in my humble opinion, when they were more developed and diverse as musicians, but everyone starts somewhere.

You're last point is good, and I respect that. Without people to love the old music, we would not have gotten the new music. Having said that again, I don't consider people Rush fans if they don't understand why they changed their sound, why they wanted to grow. Maybe if they at least read a bit more into them, listened to some of their deeper cuts, then I think they would understand at least where they were going. But when someone like this calls themselves a Rush fan, it becomes apparent to me they are a fan of 70s hard rock on the radio, or not a fan of synthesizers (it seems to be a 50/50 toss up with people I meet). Finally I do occasionally meet people who did love them up to MP, had every album knew every songs, etc. This is where the divide is, if that fan says, "they suck after MP, they should have just stuck to their sound", then I don't think they are a full Rush fan, they are a 70s rush fan, but if they say "I don't like what they did after MP personally, but I understand why they changed" then I think of them as a full Rush fan, which as far as I have seen, every one on this site is a full Rush fan.

I got it. I don't think those "casual" 70's Rush fans would have a Rush tattoo (gotten at age 50) and about 15 Rush shirts of various types that they wear regularly as in my case. I totally understand where you are coming from though. There are folks that just like the 70's era music and Rush "just happened" to be there and they lump them in and say the are a fan. No hard feelings here and nice post..... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I got it. I don't think those "casual" 70's Rush fans would have a Rush tattoo (gotten at age 50) and about 15 Rush shirts of various types that they wear regularly as in my case. I totally understand where you are coming from though. There are folks that just like the 70's era music and Rush "just happened" to be there and they lump them in and say the are a fan. No hard feelings here and nice post..... :)

Thanks, I wanted no bad blood, you seem like a really nice guy.
  • Like 1

I got it. I don't think those "casual" 70's Rush fans would have a Rush tattoo (gotten at age 50) and about 15 Rush shirts of various types that they wear regularly as in my case. I totally understand where you are coming from though. There are folks that just like the 70's era music and Rush "just happened" to be there and they lump them in and say the are a fan. No hard feelings here and nice post..... :)

Thanks, I wanted no bad blood, you seem like a really nice guy.

Appreciate the kind words. Bad blood is never fun and should be avoided at all times. It has worked for me at least. Thanks again for the post....

I guess I see where you were coming from, but I still totally disagree that RUSH's newer songs are better because they are "more developed as musicians". I know you are essentially quoting Geddy Lee when you say this, and I see this sentiment frequently, but I don't think anything they have done post MP is as good from a musicianship standpoint as Hemispheres. If you (and Geddy) want to assert that they are more mature and developed as musicians now than they were in 1976 that is fine and I won't argue, but if you want to tell me that anything they did post MP is better musically than Hemispheres I'm sorry but I ain't buying what you're selling. Of course this is just my opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours and I respect that.

On another note, I think I may have identified why you don't appreciate early RUSH as much as you maybe should. Your quote: "I pop on the albums once in a while on a low volume". See instructions below:

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd499/FLY_IGGLES_FLY/rush_st2.jpg

• Like 3

I guess I see where you were coming from, but I still totally disagree that RUSH's newer songs are better because they are "more developed as musicians". I know you are essentially quoting Geddy Lee when you say this, and I see this sentiment frequently, but I don't think anything they have done post MP is as good from a musicianship standpoint as Hemispheres. If you (and Geddy) want to assert that they are more mature and developed as musicians now than they were in 1976 that is fine and I won't argue, but if you want to tell me that anything they did post MP is better musically than Hemispheres I'm sorry but I ain't buying what you're selling. Of course this is just my opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours and I respect that.

On another note, I think I may have identified why you don't appreciate early RUSH as much as you maybe should. Your quote: "I pop on the albums once in a while on a low volume". See instructions below:

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd499/FLY_IGGLES_FLY/rush_st2.jpg

Thanks for understanding. We are now at a point where it is just different opinions. I don't deny that Hemispheres is great,but I find the later stuff better (there was a bit of relapse here and there) because as great of story tellers Rush is on that album, the music is very distinct in all of its parts. Thats not a bad thing, but for me the best music is very well harmonised. I like having a song that sounds like one large picture, and then on each listen I focus on a tiny aspect of it, something that seems equally insubstantial on its own, but when brought together it makes the grand picture just that grand. When I listen to hemisphers I hear very distinctly what is being played, what should be focused on, and why it's there. Having said that, Hemispheres has some of Rush's best counter point ever written. It feels like they wrote it right after finishing a music theory degree, pulling every little trick in the book, again that is not my thing favorite thing in music, but respect is due where respect is due.

I forgot about that record instruction, and laughed immediatly when I saw it. I actually meant with low volume as I'm not really focusing on it, letting it be backround music to my life, because there is not a ton for me to peice together on that album.

Hi guys. What's going on in here?

Be careful where you walk.

I might be behind you...

and don't take a cupcake if he offers you one. You never know where it's been.

you loved it. Hairs and all.

Okay, NOW this thread has hit rock bottom! :scared:

and this true fan vs false fan shit is so dumb! I don't like four out of fifteen iron maiden albums, and I don't have much of any respect for two of those records. that's a decade of maiden's career that I pretty much 100% dislike. but if anyone tried to tell me I wasn't a true maiden fan, I'd kick his ass!

Are these 4 albums from the second coming of Bruce and Adrian? Because I think those albums rock, especially Brave New World.

If those 4 albums are No Prayer through Virtual XI then I agree with you, those albums suck.

come on, is there anyone out there who honestly thinks 90s maiden is better than 2000s maiden?

Is there anyone out there who honestly thinks 2000s Maiden is better than 80s Maiden? :haz:

and this true fan vs false fan shit is so dumb! I don't like four out of fifteen iron maiden albums, and I don't have much of any respect for two of those records. that's a decade of maiden's career that I pretty much 100% dislike. but if anyone tried to tell me I wasn't a true maiden fan, I'd kick his ass!

Are these 4 albums from the second coming of Bruce and Adrian? Because I think those albums rock, especially Brave New World.

If those 4 albums are No Prayer through Virtual XI then I agree with you, those albums suck.

come on, is there anyone out there who honestly thinks 90s maiden is better than 2000s maiden?

Is there anyone out there who honestly thinks 2000s Maiden is better than 80s Maiden? :haz:

I hope not!

• Like 1

It IS annoying to read the posts of people who clearly haven't given a shit about the band since before I was born. And we do have certain posters that only complain and can't find anything decent to say. I guess it kind of makes some of us wonder why they even bother.
  • Like 2

u sound stressed.

Cupcake?

I think I come off like I'm legitimately pissed a lot when I'm not, but yeah I'll take a cupcake.

I make some killer cupcakes infused with tequila or Guinness, or even rum if you prefer.

It IS annoying to read the posts of people who clearly haven't given a shit about the band since before I was born. And we do have certain posters that only complain and can't find anything decent to say. I guess it kind of makes some of us wonder why they even bother.

That's essentially what the OP was all about, but then he changed his tune to something more conciliatory.

That's essentially what the OP was all about, but then he changed his tune to something more conciliatory.

Changed his tune you say? Is it as good as his old tune?

• Like 2

Hi guys. What's going on in here?

Be careful where you walk.

I might be behind you...

and don't take a cupcake if he offers you one. You never know where it's been.

you loved it. Hairs and all.

Okay, NOW this thread has hit rock bottom! :scared:

I agree. The comment was out of line, but what else would you expect from a Bruce Springsteen fan?

• Like 4