People that call them self for Rush-fans and then complain

YYZumbi

I only get annoyed (and some will say defensive) when people suggest they should "give it up" or "retire" because now it's too excruciating to listen to them live. I couldn't disagree more and hope they have a few more years left in them.

On the other hand, I can sit here and bash Anagram all day long :)

edited to say my disappointment in the production of CA is also well noted.

I can tell you are a good dude and I think you realize that some of us talk this way because we love the band so much. I remember in my youth not enjoying the last year or two of my first sports hero's career. It was painful to watch Mr. Namath try to do what he could no longer. Rush isn't there yet but its coming and that is the truth no matter how difficult it is to accept... :(

Right. I talked about wanting to see them retire while they still have some dignity left. It's running out pretty fast at this point.

• Like 2

I only get annoyed (and some will say defensive) when people suggest they should "give it up" or "retire" because now it's too excruciating to listen to them live. I couldn't disagree more and hope they have a few more years left in them.

On the other hand, I can sit here and bash Anagram all day long :)

edited to say my disappointment in the production of CA is also well noted.

I can tell you are a good dude and I think you realize that some of us talk this way because we love the band so much. I remember in my youth not enjoying the last year or two of my first sports hero's career. It was painful to watch Mr. Namath try to do what he could no longer. Rush isn't there yet but its coming and that is the truth no matter how difficult it is to accept... :(

Right. I talked about wanting to see them retire while they still have some dignity left. It's running out pretty fast at this point.

It sucks and can be lonely being the "voice of reason" sometimes but somebody has to do it.... :cheers:
  • Like 1

I only get annoyed (and some will say defensive) when people suggest they should "give it up" or "retire" because now it's too excruciating to listen to them live.

Why do you let that annoy you?

it's annoying because hey those of you who don't like Rush anymore or think they're too old or whatever don't have to go see them but who are you to say that just because you don't enjoy them anymore they should retire when it still means so much to them and to so many fans.

I only get annoyed (and some will say defensive) when people suggest they should "give it up" or "retire" because now it's too excruciating to listen to them live.

it's annoying because hey those of you who don't like Rush anymore or think they're too old or whatever don't have to go see them but who are you to say that just because you don't enjoy them anymore they should retire when it still means so much to them and to so many fans.

I'm me is who I am. I could get being annoyed if my opinion was that your mom was too ugly to go outside, but we're not talking about anyone's mom here. We're talking about a rock band. Anyone who gets butthurt over someone saying a rock band should retire needs to grow some thicker skin.

• Like 3

I'm me is who I am. I could get being annoyed if my opinion was that your mom was too ugly to go outside, but we're not talking about anyone's mom here. We're talking about a rock band. Anyone who gets butthurt over someone saying a rock band should retire needs to grow some thicker skin.

O my days lets remember this is a conversation! Lets be friends...and eat tea and drink cupcakes.

what shall we talk about?

O thats right! Rush hasn't had a decent sounding record since Power Windows! Haha...pass the scones round...gently...thats my best china...talking of china, tai shan sucked...

whats that...you're leaving??

*like I would stir trouble*

Personally, I'm cool with them playing as long as they can and... they still can. Their playing is still great! Find me a better, more energetic and aggressive bass player than Geddy Lee at 60! The man nails it!
  • Like 1

I've been a fan since i was 9. So for me to hear you're not a real fan...you're just a so called fan is insulting. I love rush. But it is also my right to say they have done some crappy stuff. Doesn't mean i appreciate they're legacy any less.

Damn this keeps drawing me back in, lol

Mick

• Like 5

I've been a fan since i was 9. So for me to hear you're not a real fan...you're just a so called fan is insulting. I love rush. But it is also my right to say they have done some crappy stuff. Doesn't mean i appreciate they're legacy any less.

Mick

Have a cupcake

*passes cupcake to bluefox4000*

• Like 1

because it's not excruciating to listen to them live. I saw them 3 times on CA and they still blow me away, and I've seen every tour going back AFTK. When you say you were more interested in watching Howard run the lighting board, I just don't get it.

And yes it annoys me :smash:

• Like 1

I see a war is brewing

*proceeds to make more friendship foods*

Personally, I'm cool with them playing as long as they can and... they still can. Their playing is still great! Find me a better, more energetic and aggressive bass player than Geddy Lee at 60! The man nails it!

I agree, Geddy's bass playing is still in top form. His voice is shot and neither Alex nor Neil have been able to maintain the facility on the respective instruments they way Geddy has. Like I said before, watching Geddy play is pretty much the only draw for me these days, concert-wise.

• Like 2

Mick

Have a cupcake

*passes cupcake to bluefox4000*

Thanks.

"takes cupcake and munches

I do love Rush....."munch munch"

Mick

• Like 1

I agree, Geddy's bass playing is still in top form. His voice is shot and neither Alex nor Neil have been able to maintain the facility on the respective instruments they way Geddy has. Like I said before, watching Geddy play is pretty much the only draw for me these days, concert-wise.

one happy customer! Have a free cupcake!

*passes a frosted blue cupcake*

Seems to me the OP is just upset that people are basically of the opinion that if they can't stay in their 20's forever then why bother. I see his point. I don't like everything they've ever written but I appreciate their constant desire to change and evolve. Otherwise it would have been a Zeppelinish sounding band forever.
  • Like 1

*sweats his balls off mixing cupcake mix*

Hope this contributes to a fine atmosphere.

now...who actually enjoyed half of Vapor Trails? Real fans hate such crud!

*spills icing mix on apron*

• Like 2

Seems to me the OP is just upset that people are basically of the opinion that if they can't stay in their 20's forever then why bother. I see his point. I don't like everything they've ever written but I appreciate their constant desire to change and evolve. Otherwise it would have been a Zeppelinish sounding band forever.

lol you know you're probably right. but man did i see red, lol. I better just leave this thread alone, lol

Mick

• Like 1

because it's not excruciating to listen to them live. I saw them 3 times on CA and they still blow me away, and I've seen every tour going back AFTK. When you say you were more interested in watching Howard run the lighting board, I just don't get it.

Well I'd never had the vantage point I had on the last show where I could see Howard work his magic. There was a novelty there. Having played in a couple of Rush tribute bands over the years, I have a decent idea of what it takes to produce the songs, instrument-wise, but I was quite surprised to see how many of the lighting cues are still fired off by hand. I had assumed a much larger percentage of the light show as computerized than it is.

"His voice is shot" is a bit strong for me. He still sings on pitch, he just ain't 26 anymore. For a 60 year old guy he does a good job. I'm sure it has been discussed with the band and they don't want to quit just because Geddy doesn't have the range he used to. New songs are written, set lists, tunings and melody lines are modified.

Alex has always been a little sloppy (not bad, just loose) and Neil still plays great. Their not immortal. They age and will still outplay 99% of the bands half their age. Keep it up boys!

• Like 3

lol you know you're probably right. but man did i see red, lol. I better just leave this thread alone, lol

Mick

I see my job is done.

*grabs talking umbrella and flys away*

• Like 1

Geddy Lee sounds different to how he did forty years ago. But to say his voice sucks because it has not aged well is tantamount to ageism and bullying.

aaaaand you lost me.

And I found you! Coochie coochie coo...

*proceeds to make poppadoms as cupcake mix is finished*

Seems to me the OP is just upset that people are basically of the opinion that if they can't stay in their 20's forever then why bother. I see his point.

What's there to be upset about? I mean, I get not sharing that opinion, but to be upset by it?

• Like 1

one happy customer! Have a free cupcake!

*passes a frosted blue cupcake*

Do you have one with oodles of butter cream frosting on it, do you?

*sweats his balls off mixing cupcake mix*

Hope this contributes to a fine atmosphere.

now...who actually enjoyed half of Vapor Trails? Real fans hate such crud!

*spills icing mix on apron*

That explains why I love Vapor Trails I guess. I knew it was too good to be true.