Favorite Song On Clockwork Angels

forcetenrushtribute

Favorite Song On Clockwork Angels  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite song on Clockwork Angels?

• Caravan
    • BU2B
    • Clockwork Angels
    • The Anarchist
    • Carnies
    • Halo Effect
    • Seven Cities of Gold
    • The Wreckers
    • Headlong Flight
    • BU2B2
    • Wish Them Well
    • The Garden

By the way, I'm surprised Carnies hasn't gotten any love. That's in my top three.

Favorite song, singular. I agree it's one of the stronger tracks, with the use of the sheep effect and the strangiato-like arpeggio...Nice playing by Alex.
  • Like 1

It's between Headlong Flight and Clockwork Angels for me. I went with the latter as I can love it if I want to rock or if I want to chill.

The Anarchist.

The older I get, the more important lyrics have become. They've always been the most important aspect of music to me but their influence grows more powerful the older I get. The lyrics in The Anarchist are by far some of the the darkest, if not the darkest, that Neil has ever written.

"I lack their smiles and their diamonds, I lack their happiness, their love. I envy them for all those things I never got my fair share of."

"A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage."

"Oh, they tried to get me, oh, they'll never forget me."

I love revenge tales.

The 3 monsters on this record for me are

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

All three I hope and pray stay in the setlist on the next tour…..EPIC CLASSIC RUSH!!!!

I also do love The Garden…..but I highly doubt we ever see that live again.

In the end…….Clockwork Angels was my choice. Truly the best epic Rush song written since Natural Science/Jacobs Ladder. yeah it's been that long since we got tunes like those from Rush. It just shows how incredible CA as an album really is.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

It's a pretty dark album lyrically, and I'm sure it can trigger depression in some. As I put the CD in the player I ask, "do I really want to go on this trip again"? The production makes it difficult to listen to. I can listen to Signals, Counterparts, and Permanent Waves on 11, for example, but I find myself turning CA down. It's noisy as hell, and the loudness of it is harsh on the ears. The separation between guitar and bass isn't really apparent through most of it. The synths sound weird in the mix. Overall, I don't hear how it's much better than the original VT as far as the production is concerned.

These points are my biggest complaint about the album. Subject-wise it's very dark. Not something I want to listen to and experience on a regular basis. That's the biggest turn off other than the production, which is way too loud and too compressed. The songs that I do like off of the album, Headlong Flight, Caravan and The Garden are a bit more upbeat but they still suffer from the bad production.

I'm a survivor of a deep depression. Have been ok for years now. But i can see how CA could trigger it in some.

The production is crap. Even if you are a huge fan of CA, I don't see how you could talk or rationalize your way around it. It's just.....sonic bullshit. A big ole headache inducing mush.

This is me every time. "I'll give CA another run. maybe it'll be better then....HOLY SHIT, OW!!!!!" lol

Mick

There should...

You should...

It shouldn't sound like...

I can appreciate these thoughts but I'm glad none of you are producers for Rush. You really seem to want the band remain in the past. I'm so done with the past. I can appreciate and enjoy that work but it's time to grow and move on.

Clockwork Angels is a crowning achievement—suck it!

How do you get that out of what we said? You're reading something into what was said that isn't there. I didn't say anything about wanting them to remain in the past. I said the production sucks, and it does. There's good production and bad production and this is bad. No matter what genre of music it is, or who is making it, that's pretty much standard.

There is no standard. Metallica put out Garage Days, which is barely produced, and it is one powerful record. The songs carry the record and tracks 1-12 are hauling the mail.

As for reading into your statement, didn't you proclaim how music SHOULD sound? Just wondering because that's how I read your statement. Anyway...no fuss...just a reaction

I guess that's the difference in somebody who does music for a living and someone who doesn't. I've been doing music for a living ever since I was about 18 so maybe I just have a more discerning ear. There are certain standards for music production just like there are for other professions. I'm sorry if you feel like you're getting your toes walked on but I'm just stating how production standards are. You can choose not to agree, and that's fine. I'm not commenting on the music itself. Just the production values.

I'm sure you're experience as a "current" working musician qualifies you as an expert. I'm certainly not a professional musician so I could never understand your level of expertise. Who am I to judge? You're an expert.

I just know what kicks ass.

Give me Nick's production standard anyday. He's understands the essence of this band profoundly and has delivered FAR beyond my expectations.

Well the thing is, Rush would kick ass regardless of who produced them.

Your credibility as a "professional" wears thin with this statement. See Rupert Hine.

In fact list some credentials that qualify you as a pro. I'm curious to know.

BTW you didn't step on my toes. Please teach us know-nothings about production "standards".

The 3 monsters on this record for me are

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

All three I hope and pray stay in the setlist on the next tour…..EPIC CLASSIC RUSH!!!!

In the end…….Clockwork Angels was my choice. Truly the best epic Rush song written since Natural Science/Jacobs Ladder. yeah it's been that long since we got tunes like those from Rush. It just shows how incredible CA as an album really is.

And the congregation said amen!!!!!

It's a pretty dark album lyrically, and I'm sure it can trigger depression in some. As I put the CD in the player I ask, "do I really want to go on this trip again"? The production makes it difficult to listen to. I can listen to Signals, Counterparts, and Permanent Waves on 11, for example, but I find myself turning CA down. It's noisy as hell, and the loudness of it is harsh on the ears. The separation between guitar and bass isn't really apparent through most of it. The synths sound weird in the mix. Overall, I don't hear how it's much better than the original VT as far as the production is concerned.

These points are my biggest complaint about the album. Subject-wise it's very dark. Not something I want to listen to and experience on a regular basis. That's the biggest turn off other than the production, which is way too loud and too compressed. The songs that I do like off of the album, Headlong Flight, Caravan and The Garden are a bit more upbeat but they still suffer from the bad production.

I'm a survivor of a deep depression. Have been ok for years now. But i can see how CA could trigger it in some.

The production is crap. Even if you are a huge fan of CA, I don't see how you could talk or rationalize your way around it. It's just.....sonic bullshit. A big ole headache inducing mush.

This is me every time. "I'll give CA another run. maybe it'll be better then....HOLY SHIT, OW!!!!!" lol

Mick

There should...

You should...

I can appreciate these thoughts but I'm glad none of you are producers for Rush. You really seem to want the band remain in the past. I'm so done with the past. I can appreciate and enjoy that work but it's time to grow and move on.

How do you get that out of what we said? You're reading something into what was said that isn't there. I didn't say anything about wanting them to remain in the past. I said the production sucks, and it does. There's good production and bad production and this is bad. No matter what genre of music it is, or who is making it, that's pretty much standard.

There is no standard. Metallica put out Garage Days, which is barely produced, and it is one powerful record. The songs carry the record and tracks 1-12 are hauling the mail.

As for reading into your statement, didn't you proclaim how music SHOULD sound? Just wondering because that's how I read your statement. Anyway...no fuss...just a reaction

I guess that's the difference in somebody who does music for a living and someone who doesn't. I've been doing music for a living ever since I was about 18 so maybe I just have a more discerning ear. There are certain standards for music production just like there are for other professions. I'm sorry if you feel like you're getting your toes walked on but I'm just stating how production standards are. You can choose not to agree, and that's fine. I'm not commenting on the music itself. Just the production values.

I'm sure you're experience as a "current" working musician qualifies you as an expert. I'm certainly not a professional musician so I could never understand your level of expertise. Who am I to judge? You're an expert.

Give me Nick's production standard anyday. He's understands the essence of this band profoundly and has delivered FAR beyond my expectations.

Your credibility as a "professional" wears thin with this statement. See Rupert Hine.

BTW you didn't step on my toes. Please teach us know-nothings about production "standards".

I'd rather the Rupert Hine output than the Peter Collins Rush (HYF and CP are 2 of Rush's 3 worst albums IMHO).

Mick

There should...

You should...

I'm just sitting here shaking my head in disbelief because you are not understanding what I'm saying at all. I was saying that they would sound great no matter who produced them as a generalized statement of their abilities. As a band they produce a product. How that product is packaged and presented to the public is something else. All sorts of things can happen from the product stage to the presentation stage. The product itself can be totally changed for the worse. The producer can make or break a band I by how they mix the product.

This is not really the place to go into recording techniques. If you're interested in learning about how it's done there are a multitude of resources out there.

Mick

There should...

You should...

I'm just sitting here shaking my head in disbelief because you are not understanding what I'm saying at all. I was saying that they would sound great no matter who produced them as a generalized statement of their abilities. As a band they produce a product. How that product is packaged and presented to the public is something else. All sorts of things can happen from the product stage to the presentation stage. The product itself can be totally changed for the worse. The producer can make or break a band I by how they mix the product.

This is not really the place to go into recording techniques. If you're interested in learning about how it's done there are a multitude of resources out there.

lol.....let it go. Don't upset the CA bandwagon......oh heavens no, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Ten ninnies.

So far. And one lonely Rush soldier carrying the Halo Effect banner.... :lol

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

God halo effect's flippin awful, as is carnies and two or three others... happily the rest of the album's superb and still getting a lot of play from me

Need some new stuff though, come on lads you're artists we need new material more regularly than this :)

Edited by lifeson90

Despite all of the Garden-haters, my favourite song on the album is "The Garden." I'd never been moved to tears by a Rush song before, but The Garden is just soooo simultaneously beautiful and heartachey. :)
  • Like 2

Crowning acheivement?... put the bong down, TM. CA is what an asteroid is to Antares, when comparing it to any of Rush's circum-1980s works.

bullshit

this coming from a guy that actually called an old Rush song that came out of nowhere and surprised him on the radio a "supernatural" experience

I love me some Rush, but supernatural? Really dude?

Yea - put the bong down indeed.

Edited by eshine
  • Like 1

Why are some of you guys apologizing for liking certain songs? The Garden is not overrated at all. It's a work of genuine beauty.

And CA is a crowning achievement. It was a total surprise - a return to form, containing songs that stand up to anything they have ever written - followed by a massively successful tour with a string ensemble that actually enhanced the music and made the presentation of their new album the highlight of the show.

• Like 5

Crowning acheivement?... put the bong down, TM. CA is what an asteroid is to Antares, when comparing it to any of Rush's circum-1980s works.

This.... IMHO: Its got a couple of good tunes. The production sucks. Its not close to their 74-87 output. But to each his/her own, if people love it, good for them.

• Like 1

This.... IMHO: Its got a couple of good tunes. The production sucks. Its not close to their 74-87 output. But to each his/her own, if people love it, good for them.

:yes: There is no comparison, c'mon now, let's stop all this madness! :madra:

• Like 1