Autism

GhostGirl

Well I see everyone survived World Autism Day and this thread was quite active.

We survived it too. Unfortunately we weren't able to watch any of the CNN World Autism Day coverage, but I guess it's good that they devoted a day to lots of different stories on the subject. And I'm sure as I plod through them on the CNN website, there will be all the happy Autism stories those of us with lower functioning children hate.

Everyday is Autism Day in our World.

This is an epidemic, and in my opinion, the professional Autism community needs to get their collective asses together. There are several organizations dedicated to fundraising for this disorder and education.

Autism Society of America

Defeat Autism Now

Autism Speaks

Cure Autism Now

And whatever else groups there are out there. Let's consolodate and all get under one "umbrella" just like this f*#kin' disorder is all under the spectrum. My son and GG's son are lumped in with Jenny McCarthy's son and the J-Macs of the world. These splinter organizations are pissing me off. Sure they're raising money and I'm sure the appropriate amount is going to research. But lets see, my son is now 10 and we still have Autism. I wonder how much money has been raised in the name of Autism in the last 10 years.

I appreciate the efforts of these groups, and the many celebrities who have attached their names to the cause, but meanwhile Tony and Stephen are still Autistic.

Not sure if this is the right place to come, but I'd like some advice.

I know it's not autism, but I've always wondered about aspergers. My mum has always said I had tendencies of it as did my doctors when I was small, and I was looking up on it and I've still got basically all the tendencies of it. How does one get tested, because I'd really like to know for certain or not, and see if there's any way of treating it, because some aspects of it are really starting to bring me down.

Apologies if this was the wrong place to come.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 11 2008, 03:02 PM)

I know it's not autism, but I've always wondered about aspergers. My mum has always said I had tendencies of it as did my doctors when I was small, and I was looking up on it and I've still got basically all the tendencies of it. How does one get tested, because I'd really like to know for certain or not, and see if there's any way of treating it, because some aspects of it are really starting to bring me down.

do you find you get obsessive with certain subjects like... for example.... Rush?

There are tests for autism spectrum disorders which includes asbergers, you might want to ask your physician for a recommendation.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 11 2008, 05:02 PM)

The best way to know is to get tested by a qualified doctor. I found an online screening test you could take a look at, just to get some ideas. You could print it out and take it with you once you get an appointment.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

This was absolutely the place to come. smile.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 11 2008, 10:10 PM)

do you find you get obsessive with certain subjects like... for example.... Rush?

There are tests for autism spectrum disorders which includes asbergers, you might want to ask your physician for a recommendation.

Yes, i get incredibly obsessed with certain subjects, always did when I was a kid, and I still do now. Also, I find it almost impossible to interact with someone I don't know face to face, which is actually the reason I started worrying about this, and even if I know people, I cannot make eye contact with people because it makes me feel uncomfortable to the point where I want to shout out and ask them to stop looking at me. I find it hard to make eye contact with my family aswell. I only looked it up on wiki, but alot of my behaviour seems to match that of aspergers.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Apr 12 2008, 09:50 AM)
GG, thanks for the help (for my student). His mom was really open to the possibility. Who knew?

I'm so glad it helped. heart.gif

Just waitin for my ride..

We're goin to Night of Too Many Stars at the Beacon tonight! Benefit for Autism Education....you can watch live at 8pm on Comedy Central!

One of my old patients gave me the tix wub.gif

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Apr 13 2008, 06:03 PM)
Just waitin for my ride..
We're goin to Night of Too Many Stars at the Beacon tonight! Benefit for Autism Education....you can watch live at 8pm on Comedy Central!

One of my old patients gave me the tix wub.gif

Sweet! Have a great time Donna! hug2.gif

http://butapilgrim.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/despair.jpg

biggrin.gif

If you've read this thread, you know that haircuts are extremely taxing and traumatic for Stephen (and for his parents).

Today was (finally) haircut day. A few weeks ago I made up what's called a "social story" about going to get a haircut. I wrote simple sentences and included pictures of a barber shop, a barber chair, clippers, etc. I also included a picture of a bathtub because we go to my mom's house for a bath after cuts, and finally, the big payoff---McDonald's (I know, yuck).

We read the story and I kept saying "First haircut, then McDonalds," and we talked about the clippers going BUZZZZZ...

He didn't want to get out when we arrived at the shop, and we gritted our teeth and got him inside. I pointed to his book and then to the barber chair and said, "See? This is where haircut happens."

Now...

Stephen walked over to his dad, who was already in the chair...got into his lap with my help...

And sat there, calmly, while our wonderful hairstylist Ms. Tommie cut his hair.

wub.gif

He flinched a bit like any kid, but he didn't cry one tear. With the first pass of the clippers, he quietly said, "Buzzzzz?" And I said, "Yes, buddy!" He didn't fight or struggle or scream, like he's always, always done.

It was amazing. I cried like a baby with relief.

I'm so proud of him. You guys just don't know what a HUGE deal this is.

Pics to come as soon as I can get him to stand still. smile.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Apr 18 2008, 11:42 PM)
new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Exactly!

As we've been reading in this thread and in your blog, Stephen's ability to communicate has improved dramatically in the past few months (and since his last haircut), and I really think your brilliant little haircut story got through to him. Six months ago, maybe it wouldn't have. wink.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 18 2008, 10:37 PM)
biggrin.gif

If you've read this thread, you know that haircuts are extremely taxing and traumatic for Stephen (and for his parents).

Today was (finally) haircut day. A few weeks ago I made up what's called a "social story" about going to get a haircut. I wrote simple sentences and included pictures of a barber shop, a barber chair, clippers, etc. I also included a picture of a bathtub because we go to my mom's house for a bath after cuts, and finally, the big payoff---McDonald's (I know, yuck).

We read the story and I kept saying "First haircut, then McDonalds," and we talked about the clippers going BUZZZZZ...

He didn't want to get out when we arrived at the shop, and we gritted our teeth and got him inside. I pointed to his book and then to the barber chair and said, "See? This is where haircut happens."

Now...

Stephen walked over to his dad, who was already in the chair...got into his lap with my help...

wub.gif

He flinched a bit like any kid, but he didn't cry one tear. With the first pass of the clippers, he quietly said, "Buzzzzz?" And I said, "Yes, buddy!" He didn't fight or struggle or scream, like he's always, always done.

It was amazing. I cried like a baby with relief.

I'm so proud of him. You guys just don't know what a HUGE deal this is.

Pics to come as soon as I can get him to stand still. smile.gif

Amazing, Belle! I'm so glad you found a way to get through the hair cut. You're brilliant! biggrin.gif

And, I think we DO know what a huge deal this was. yes.gif

Way to go, Stephen! cheer.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 12 2008, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 11 2008, 10:10 PM)

Yes, i get incredibly obsessed with certain subjects, always did when I was a kid, and I still do now. Also, I find it almost impossible to interact with someone I don't know face to face, which is actually the reason I started worrying about this, and even if I know people, I cannot make eye contact with people because it makes me feel uncomfortable to the point where I want to shout out and ask them to stop looking at me. I find it hard to make eye contact with my family aswell. I only looked it up on wiki, but alot of my behaviour seems to match that of aspergers.

Hi Mate

Thought I would throw my hat into the ring here.

If you think you have Aspergers after looking up all the info then you probably do.

I myself have lived with it all my life. To be clear, I have never been officially diagnosed. The closest I came to this was when I was being evaluated by a psychologist after a serious car crash (which caused head injuries) about ten years ago. I remember her saying it was a "cast iron certainty" I had Aspergers and I should get formally tested. Me being me, of course, I didn't eyesre4.gif

I can only sympathise as I am all too aware of what a rough time it can cause you. My childhood at times was a living hell due to it, and I only wish that someone at the time had been interested/cared enough to realise that my "differences" might have had a specific cause rather than me just being "odd"

Do you find that the ability to "read" people instinctively the way others do eludes you?

Do you feel that you are constantly enlarging on a "portfolio" of simulated emotions and responses that you have learned are appropriate through painful experience?

Do you feel that you can never really "let your guard down" and that spontaneous speech is to be avoided at all costs unless you can filter it first?

These are just a few of the daily challenges I (and I suspect you ) face each day.

The good news is you can develop strategies to cope with it. I have arrived at mine via 40 years of painful trial and error and personally don't feel there would be any benefit in seeking professional advice at this stage.

You on the other hand are much, much younger and I would strongly urge you to take advantage of whatever help is available. Go and get tested, your GP should be able to arrange this.

If nothing else, this should at least spare you some of the difficulties I endured.

Finally, I would like to take the opportunity to publicly thank Ghostgirl who I have had some correspondence with about this. It was down to her excellent advice and encouragement (prompted by me contacting her after reading this thread) that I finally found the courage to tell my wife about it, which was an EXCELLENT decision.

Michelle, you are a star and I mean that most sincerely yes.gif

Fridge,

Thanks. I'm not too positive on it because my mum was saying that coming to university would've been almost impossible for someone with Aspergers, so I don't know. Aswell, yesterday, I had to do a 10 minute presentation to the seminar class which I did, however stressful and painful it was to actually, physically address the class.

As soon as I get back I fully intend to get myself tested, so thanks for the encouragement.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 18 2008, 11:52 PM)
biggrin.gif

Today was (finally) haircut day.  A few weeks ago I made up what's called a "social story" about going to get a haircut.  I wrote simple sentences and included pictures of a barber shop, a barber chair, clippers, etc.  I also included a picture of a bathtub because we go to my mom's house for a bath after cuts, and finally, the big payoff---McDonald's (I know, yuck).

He didn't want to get out when we arrived at the shop, and we gritted our teeth and got him inside.  I pointed to his book and then to the barber chair and said, "See? This is where haircut happens."

Now...

wub.gif

He flinched a bit like any kid, but he didn't cry one tear.  With the first pass of the clippers, he quietly said, "Buzzzzz?"  And I said, "Yes, buddy!"  He didn't fight or struggle or scream, like he's always, always done.

It was amazing.  I cried like a baby with relief.

I'm so proud of him.  You guys just don't know what a HUGE deal this is.

Pics to come as soon as I can get him to stand still.  smile.gif

Amazing, Belle! I'm so glad you found a way to get through the hair cut. You're brilliant! biggrin.gif

I too am so thrilled to read this thread and see how much stephen has progressed.

You are doing a fabulous job GG, please don't lose sight of that.

As always, wub.gif hug2.gif and all the positive energy I can give to you and yours...

heart.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 19 2008, 02:10 PM)
Fridge,

Thanks. I'm not too positive on it because my mum was saying that coming to university would've been almost impossible for someone with Aspergers, so I don't know. Aswell, yesterday, I had to do a 10 minute presentation to the seminar class which I did, however stressful and painful it was to actually, physically address the class.

As soon as I get back I fully intend to get myself tested, so thanks for the encouragement.

No problem mate.

I know how tough it can be in social situations. I have learned to mask it over the years, but it took a lot of trial and error.

I don't agree with your mum about higher education though. It is difficult true, but not impossible. I managed it with no support at all, so don't feel it is an insurmountable barrier.

feel free to PM me at any time if you think I can offer any advice

Edited by Fridge

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Apr 19 2008, 08:14 AM)
biggrin.gif

Today was (finally) haircut day.  A few weeks ago I made up what's called a "social story" about going to get a haircut.  I wrote simple sentences and included pictures of a barber shop, a barber chair, clippers, etc.  I also included a picture of a bathtub because we go to my mom's house for a bath after cuts, and finally, the big payoff---McDonald's (I know, yuck).

He didn't want to get out when we arrived at the shop, and we gritted our teeth and got him inside.  I pointed to his book and then to the barber chair and said, "See? This is where haircut happens."

Now...

wub.gif

He flinched a bit like any kid, but he didn't cry one tear.  With the first pass of the clippers, he quietly said, "Buzzzzz?"  And I said, "Yes, buddy!"  He didn't fight or struggle or scream, like he's always, always done.

I too am so thrilled to read this thread and see how much stephen has progressed.

As always, wub.gif hug2.gif and all the positive energy I can give to you and yours...

heart.gif

You did a great job GG!

All that rehearsing did the trick!

What a great day for Stephen and for you!

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Apr 19 2008, 08:32 AM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Apr 19 2008, 08:14 AM)
biggrin.gif

Now...

wub.gif

heart.gif

You did a great job GG!

All that rehearsing did the trick!

What a great day for Stephen and for you!

Great planning GG wub.gif It is heartwarming to hear that the haircut went well. hug2.gif

Look forward to pictures of that handsome little guy of yours... wub.gif