Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Apr 1 2008, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 31 2008, 11:10 PM)
God, I f***ing hate this DISORDER.

Stephen didn't want to get off the computer earlier, but it was time.  He's been up since 3 am and was very cranky.

He went into a full-blown meltdown - kicking and screaming, trying to hit me if I got too close, but then reaching for me the next second as he cried. 

The absolute worst is when he hits himself in the head...HARD.  It breaks my heart.  He gets so frustrated and upset, and it kills me to see him hurt himself.

I hate this.

sad.gif

GG...

I wish there was something that I could say to take

away some of the hurts that you endure each and

everyday. Just hearing that breaks my heart, so I

know that it kills you inside. I hope that you know that

we are all here when you need to vent. When Stephen

calms down, give him a hug2.gif from me.

And here are some for you.

hug2.gif hug2.gif hug2.gif

And if they aren't working...

Try these...

cosmo.gif cosmo.gif cosmo.gif

biggrin.gif

wub.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/ditto3vf.gif

http://www.themaskedblogger.com/images/awarem1.gif

CNN is participating in Autism Awareness month by posting lots of articles...this one caught my eye:

One man's story: When an autistic child grows up

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 31 2008, 10:10 PM)

Stephen didn't want to get off the computer earlier, but it was time. He's been up since 3 am and was very cranky.

He went into a full-blown meltdown - kicking and screaming, trying to hit me if I got too close, but then reaching for me the next second as he cried.

The absolute worst is when he hits himself in the head...HARD. It breaks my heart. He gets so frustrated and upset, and it kills me to see him hurt himself.

I hate this.

When Tony melts down he bites his wrist REALLY hard (his wrist is always swollen and he has permanent teeth marks on his wrist). He throws himself into walls and on the floor (and on people too). It's absolutely no fun, especially since he weighs 115 pounds.

Give yourself a break GG. You need a night out. Get the babysitters lined up and get away from it for awhile.

And CeeJ is right...after a couple of these, hug2.gif drink a couple of these

cosmo.gif.

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Apr 1 2008, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 31 2008, 10:10 PM)

Stephen didn't want to get off the computer earlier, but it was time.  He's been up since 3 am and was very cranky.

The absolute worst is when he hits himself in the head...HARD.  It breaks my heart.  He gets so frustrated and upset, and it kills me to see him hurt himself.

I hate this.

When Tony melts down he bites his wrist REALLY hard (his wrist is always swollen and he has permanent teeth marks on his wrist). He throws himself into walls and on the floor (and on people too). It's absolutely no fun, especially since he weighs 115 pounds.

Give yourself a break GG. You need a night out. Get the babysitters lined up and get away from it for awhile.

And CeeJ is right...after a couple of these, hug2.gif drink a couple of these

cosmo.gif.

hug2.gif Thanks, man.

Stephen is big, too. He's only 8, and he's about 4'7" and 100 pounds.

And people wonder why my biceps are so big. laugh.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Apr 2 2008, 06:11 AM)
I have the ribbon and a link to Autism Speaks.

April 2nd is Autism Awareness Day.

hug2.gif

Thank you!

I hope we can get most everyone to support the cause. If they even just sport the ribbon for the month, we will increase the exposure.

We decorate our sigs for holidays and events and concerts. Lets support our kids, and our future.

If you care - Put the ribbon in your sig.

QUOTE (sundog @ Apr 2 2008, 06:11 AM)
I have the ribbon and a link to Autism Speaks.

April 2nd is Autism Awareness Day.

CNN.com has been focusing on Autism Awareness for a while and has a special section:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/news/autism/

I'm glad there is an increase in public awareness, but I'm shocked at how many people don't know anything about it. There is a story of a family who's triplets each have different forms of autism. The mother said that she had never even heard of it until her boys were diagnosed.

Those who've read my blog know my feelings on lumping all forms of ASD together...this spectrum is SO wide. I feel it's unfair to have all the "feel-good" stories and very few of the realistic ones about kids who aren't high functioning.

For example:

'You get a slice of heaven and a pure love in your home' <----click

Pure love? Yes. Slice of heaven? Erm... unsure.gif

Story Highlights

* Parents share tales of raising children with autism through iReport.com

* "It's going to be hard," Selma Crosby says, but parents of autistic children are lucky

* "I wouldn't have it any other way," says Sandra Trammell, mother of autistic Mila

Well, I don't know Mila or her mom, but I sure as HELL would have it another way for my son, and while I feel lucky to have 2 beautiful boys, I would quite literally give my right arm for Stephen to be "normal."

Wow reading this thread brings back memories from before I knew my son had a autistic spectrum disorder. GG my heart goes out to you as well as everyone else out there and in this forum who deals with this. My son has PDD NOS which is higher functioning but I went thru many of the struggles I've read in here. I know about meltdowns and how bad they can be. Fortunately my son recieves much help through the state and is overcoming alot of things. My son was born with this and not affected by vacines, he was 3 months pre mature. I do believe that vacines have caused many kids to get this disorder. Here is a poem that was published in a Dear Abby column:

Heaven's Very Special Child:

A meeting was held far from Earth

It was time for another birth

Said the angels to the Lord above

This special child will need much love

Her progress may be very slow

Accomplishment she may not show

And she will require extra care

From the folks she meets down there

She may not run, laugh or play

Her thoughts may seem quite far away

So many times she will be labeled

Different, helpless and disabled

So let's be careful where she's sent

We want her life to be content

Please, Lord find the parents who

Will do a special job for you

They will not realize right away

The leading role they are asked to play

But with this child sent from above

Comes stronger faith and richer love

And soon they'll know the priviledge given

In caring for thier gift from Heaven

Thier precious charge, so meek and mild

Is Heaven's very special child

Edited by giantsv

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 2 2008, 09:50 AM)
Those who've read my blog know my feelings on lumping all forms of ASD together...this spectrum is SO wide. I feel it's unfair to have all the "feel-good" stories and very few of the realistic ones about kids who aren't high functioning.

For example:

'You get a slice of heaven and a pure love in your home' <----click

Pure love? Yes. Slice of heaven? Erm... unsure.gif

Story Highlights
* "It's going to be hard," Selma Crosby says, but parents of autistic children are lucky
* "I wouldn't have it any other way," says Sandra Trammell, mother of autistic Mila

Well, I don't know Mila or her mom, but I sure as HELL would have it another way for my son, and while I feel lucky to have 2 beautiful boys, I would quite literally give my right arm for Stephen to be "normal."

Saying it's "A slice of heaven," does seem inappropriate, doesn't it? I suppose that might be the only way those parents have to deal with it. I can only imagine how overwhelming it must be to effectively raise a child with autism and maintain your sanity. Perhaps they have to put on rose-colored glasses just to make it through. It seems kind of a strange approach, though. And, to say that parents with autistic children are lucky? I dunno. fing.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 2 2008, 10:18 AM)
Those who've read my blog know my feelings on lumping all forms of ASD together...this spectrum is SO wide.  I feel it's unfair to have all the "feel-good" stories and very few of the realistic ones about kids who aren't high functioning.

For example:

'You get a slice of heaven and a pure love in your home'  <----click

Pure love?  Yes.  Slice of heaven?  Erm...  unsure.gif

Story Highlights

Saying it's "A slice of heaven," does seem inappropriate, doesn't it? I suppose that might be the only way those parents have to deal with it. I can only imagine how overwhelming it must be to effectively raise a child with autism and maintain your sanity. Perhaps they have to put on rose-colored glasses just to make it through. It seems kind of a strange approach, though. And, to say that parents with autistic children are lucky? I dunno. fing.gif

Right...it might apply to kids who are higher functioning, and I can certainly understand looking on the bright side. I do it myself, but I don't for one second claim that I'm happy with the way things are.

This is why I wish there was a clear distinction between HFA (high functioning autism) and what I call "classic" autism, like Stephen has.

People see the J-Mac basketball stories and so forth, and they say, "Why, that's just great! What are YOU whining about?"

It's just SO different, you know?

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Apr 2 2008, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 31 2008, 11:10 PM)
I hate this.

Hang in there girl... hug2.gif

Thanks, man. smile.gif I am.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 2 2008, 10:20 AM)
Those who've read my blog know my feelings on lumping all forms of ASD together...this spectrum is SO wide.  I feel it's unfair to have all the "feel-good" stories and very few of the realistic ones about kids who aren't high functioning.

For example:

Story Highlights

Right...it might apply to kids who are higher functioning, and I can certainly understand looking on the bright side. I do it myself, but I don't for one second claim that I'm happy with the way things are.

This is why I wish there was a clear distinction between HFA (high functioning autism) and what I call "classic" autism, like Stephen has.

People see the J-Mac basketball stories and so forth, and they say, "Why, that's just great! What are YOU whining about?"

And, that's where the awareness needs to take a step up. With attention increasing, maybe it will evolve to where a clear distinction is made. I guess a lot of people are just learning about autism in its general context, and that's good. With more and more information and scientific study hopefully "Autistic" won't be used as a blanket term.

Exactly right.

Thanks to everybody for doing just that.

smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 2 2008, 11:20 AM)

For example:

Story Highlights

I agree GG. I think the day will come. It's unfortunate, but more and more people are becoming affected in some way by autism, as the rate of incidence increases. The awareness will increase proportionately.

At the same time, those who are not directly affected are becoming aware. Whether it's through the efforts of those who have family members who have autism, or through the various stories we see and hear in the media (regardless of the Larry Kings of the world).

You've certainly gotten through to us here at TRF. And, I think for the most part, people do care. We feel for the people that are suffering or struggling with the disease. We want to help and understand. It's great that kids like Stephen have a mom like you that puts her feelings out there for all of us to read and listen to. There has been so much media attention in the last couple of years, that progress is inevitable.

Hang in there kid.

This is beautiful.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/he...soundslider.swf

Edit: I was touched to see both a young boy and an older young man holding a Thomas the Tank Engine train. Thomas is a VERY popular guy in the autism community. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Mar 26 2008, 10:58 AM)
I don't know if you've discussed this, so sorry if this is old news.

Last night, as I was waiting for everyone else to get home, I was flicking through the on-screen cable guide when I came across a listing on HBO called "Autism: The Musical".

Here's a link to the show's website. Autism: The Musical

This is on HBO right now, about 20 minutes into it.