Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 2 2008, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Apr 2 2008, 09:16 PM)
'You get a slice of heaven and a pure love in your home'

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/...orts/index.html

smile.gif

GG and sully touched on that clip on the previous page. They weren't exactly enamored with parts of it.

My son IS pure love, but living with a child with moderate-to-severe autism is NOT a slice of heaven. Watching him progress and enjoying him as much as possible is wonderful...but "slice of heaven" is stretching it.

Maybe for kids with higher functioning this is appropriate.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 2 2008, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 2 2008, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Apr 2 2008, 09:16 PM)
'You get a slice of heaven and a pure love in your home'

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/...orts/index.html

smile.gif

GG and sully touched on that clip on the previous page. They weren't exactly enamored with parts of it.

My son IS pure love, but living with a child with moderate-to-severe autism is NOT a slice of heaven. Watching him progress and enjoying him as much as possible is wonderful...but "slice of heaven" is stretching it.

Maybe for kids with higher functioning this is appropriate.

I thought the five kids featured in HBO's "Autism: the Musical" very effectively showed the wide range of the autism spectrum. One boy had high-functioning aspergers syndrome, and was capable of telling you everything you ever wanted to know about dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures in detail (while having trouble adapting socially), and another boy was very low-functioning...and was very much trapped in his own world and not capable of much speech at all. The other three kids showed the range in between. The girl who was featured had limited speech ability -- she tended to repeat whatever was said to her -- but she had no problem singing, and sang fairly well.

The opening scenes showed these kids at very early ages in home movies, acting like any other "normal" toddler -- walking, talking, making eye-contact -- reaching all the milestones right on schedule. Then you see them start to withdraw and stop talking as this dreaded disorder started to take them away...it was heartbreaking to watch.

Anyone who isn't familiar with autism, or whose only exposure to it is from watching Larry King and other shows that mainly depict "feel good" stories about high-functioning autistic kids should watch this HBO documentary. It shows a more accurate depiction of just how wide-ranging the autism spectrum is. It's got its share of "feel good" moments, but it shows the ugly side of autism too, with no apologies.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 2 2008, 11:03 PM)

I thought the five kids featured in HBO's "Autism: the Musical" very effectively showed the wide range of the autism spectrum. One boy had high-functioning aspergers syndrome, and was capable of telling you everything you ever wanted to know about dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures in detail (while having trouble adapting socially), and another boy was very low-functioning...and was very much trapped in his own world and not capable of much speech at all. The other three kids showed the range in between. The girl who was featured had limited speech ability -- she tended to repeat whatever was said to her -- but she had no problem singing, and sang fairly well.

The opening scenes showed these kids at very early ages in home movies, acting like any other "normal" toddler -- walking, talking, making eye-contact -- reaching all the milestones right on schedule. Then you see them start to withdraw and stop talking as this dreaded disorder started to take them away...it was heartbreaking to watch.

Anyone who isn't familiar with autism, or whose only exposure to it is from watching Larry King and other shows that mainly depict "feel good" stories about high-functioning autistic kids should watch this HBO documentary. It shows a more accurate depiction of just how wide-ranging the autism spectrum is. It's got its share of "feel good" moments, but it shows the ugly side of autism too, with no apologies.

goodpost.gif

i watched this and also recorded it.

It's currently living in my DVR in *hopes* of burning it to DVD for those who would be interested.

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Apr 3 2008, 07:12 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 2 2008, 11:03 PM)

goodpost.gif

i watched this and also recorded it.

It's currently living in my DVR in *hopes* of burning it to DVD for those who would be interested.

I would be interested - we don't have HBO here in our house. no.gif It's not on our satellite.

Edited by sundog

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 3 2008, 03:03 AM)
One boy had high-functioning aspergers syndrome, and was capable of telling you everything you ever wanted to know about dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures in detail (while having trouble adapting socially),

My son was high functioning. I feel very very lucky. wub.gif

One boy had high-functioning aspergers syndrome, and was capable of telling you everything you ever wanted to know about dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures in detail

This must be my cousin's son.

When I met him, he'd been brought home from his dad's. He knew I was in the house, so he walked in through the door, and ran like grease-lightning to his room.

It took him about 30 mins to come out, and when he did, he subjected me to the ins and outs of a space game he was playing on his computer laugh.gif

It was very interesting, mainly because I like that sort of thing.

I can identify with this somewhat, since I am very similar myself, in that I can rabble on and on about loads of technical things and bore the socks off people. rofl3.gif ...

... like I am now laugh.gif

I wonder whether some of this came from his grandfather (my uncle) as we are very alike.

I think there is a lot of good in telling the world that raising an autistic child is not heaven-like.

It's not a minor inconvenience, or a slight learning impediment, or a mere detail.

It affects so much of your life. The plans you make, the time and effort you put into your child just to get through a "normal" day, the heartbreak and frustration...

It's only through hearing how trying this all really is that folks will understand that there is a real problem here.

After what I've read and seen lately about the topic, I'm not ashamed to admit that I feel like we dodged a bullet. My boy is 8, and we gladly had him poked and prodded just as the medical community insisted. We trusted them... and look what could have happened.

But the mere fact that it didn't happen to us doesn't remove the disgust and anger over how this is being handled - especially in light of the mounting evidence that we (as a society) caused this. We continue to do so.

Why?

Sorry if I'm rambling. I just can't believe that we're here. Every one of you loves your kids as much as I love mine... and it's wrenching to see the real needs of our kids ignored, with the trail of responsilbility undoubtedly leading to a dollar sign somewhere.

I am so thankful that my son does not have autism. I really feel empathy for those of you who have to deal with this. I feel an overwhelming desire to throttle those responsible.

I can't ge tover the fact that I work hard, I'm taxed on my wages, and therefore I've helped fund the problem.

I wish I could do something more productive.... but this isn't about me. It should be about how to help minimize the odds of it happening any more.

I guess talking about it to folks I know who plan to have kids is a start.

sad.gif

Thank you SO much, PM & S...for being candid and just for being willing to do something...anything...to help.

It means more than you know.

When I scroll down through a thread, I see quite a few autism ribbons...you guys are the best.

With love from Stephen and his mom. hug2.gif

hug2.gif

Awareness is a place to start... I posted a link to this thread over at CP. I hope a few folks will click it and, if nothing else, walk away a tad more educated on the subject, and aware that it appears to not be an "accidental birth defect", but environmental, which means there is something proactively to be done by the common man about it.

Edited by Prime Mover and Shaker

QUOTE (Prime Mover and Shaker @ Apr 4 2008, 12:54 PM)
Awareness is a place to start... I posted a link to this thread over at CP. I hope a few folks will click it and, if nothing else, walk away a tad more educated on the subject...

Awesome. trink39.gif

I hate to sound horribly naive about this but since it's being proven that autism is caused by the mercury in this vaccine, is there any way to reverse it? Or is that what studies are currently being done about it...if it can eventually be reversed?

My son plays w/ a boy on the street who I believe has high-functioning autism...he can carry on conversations w/ my son and play w/ him but obvious there is some sort of disconnect when it comes to certain things.

And yes, like PM&S I feel like I've dodged a bullet w/ my son. I find it so heartbreaking that autistic children started out normal and then because of something that was done to them (not contracted or came down w/ but something that could've been prevented) they are irretrevably changed.

My heart goes out to you GhostGirl and all you others that are going through this. I know you love your children as I love mine and this has got to be one of the highest forms of anguish a parent can go through. I guess it goes w/ out saying that I hope someday we can look back on autism as a horrible thing of the past

Good Luck....

hug2.gif

QUOTE (Alien Girl @ Apr 4 2008, 10:29 AM)
I hate to sound horribly naive about this but since it's being proven that autism is caused by the mercury in this vaccine, is there any way to reverse it?  Or is that what studies are currently being done about it...if it can eventually be reversed?

if you read Jenny's McCartheys story she helped reverse the effects of the vaccine injury to her son though diet and detoxification. There is a group of doctors called DAN (defeat autism now) doctors that specialize in this. There's a great website called Generation Rescue that has tons of info on the subject.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 4 2008, 01:36 PM)
I hate to sound horribly naive about this but since it's being proven that autism is caused by the mercury in this vaccine, is there any way to reverse it?  Or is that what studies are currently being done about it...if it can eventually be reversed?

if you read Jenny's McCartheys story she helped reverse the effects of the vaccine injury to her son though diet and detoxification. There is a group of doctors called DAN (defeat autism now) doctors that specialize in this. There's a great website called Generation Rescue that has tons of info on the subject.

Jenny's story is great, but her methods do not work for everyone. GG tried a couple of detox treatments with Stephen and they may have helped a little (hard to tell just how much), but they certainly did not produce the results they hoped for. And she tried different diets, and they actually had a negative effect on him. Didn't help at all.

And Jenny also has the advantage of having the best doctors treat her son, and having the best therapists working with her son every day. Intensive, constant therapy has a HUGE effect on many of these kids, but that therapy is also very expensive, and not covered by insurance. That's where people like Jenny McCarthy have the advantage -- they have the money for these doctors and therapists and special diets. It's very easy for her to write books and appear on TV saying how she "cured" her son's autism, and spell out how she did it...but that doesn't help the THOUSANDS of families who don't have Jenny's money and resources.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 4 2008, 11:07 AM)

Jenny's story is great, but her methods do not work for everyone. GG tried a couple of detox treatments with Stephen and they may have helped a little (hard to tell just how much), but they certainly did not produce the results they hoped for. And she tried different diets, and they actually had a negative effect on him. Didn't help at all.

And Jenny also has the advantage of having the best doctors treat her son, and having the best therapists working with her son every day. Intensive, constant therapy has a HUGE effect on many of these kids, but that therapy is also very expensive, and not covered by insurance. That's where people like Jenny McCarthy have the advantage -- they have the money for these doctors and therapists and special diets. It's very easy for her to write books and appear on TV saying how she "cured" her son's autism, and spell out how she did it...but that doesn't help the THOUSANDS of families who don't have Jenny's money and resources.

it absolutely does not work for everyone. In my daughter's case, I do not believe it was a vaccine injury so I really dont feel this method would help her.

Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 4 2008, 01:07 PM)

Wow, you really DO listen when I yammer on about stuff.

biggrin.gif

Thanks. heart.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 4 2008, 12:36 PM)

Another little-known fact is that her son Evan has epilepsy. He has been treated for it, and has improved. I'm not saying he doesn't have autism, and that the biomed treatments didn't work for him...I'm just wondering how much of his problem is epilepsy and how much is due to autism.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 4 2008, 02:07 PM)

Good Point, 73!

There is a major debate going on politically about the cost of autism due to the rising numbers.

There was a local family on the news last week with three boys, all diagnosed, that is now losing their home due to treatment costs.

Jenny McCarthy's newsbit was positive in the sense that autism was given mainstream media attention. The harm in this kind of exposure, however, is that the general public now may have the illusionary idea that a "quickie fix" is out there if "only parents would do what Jenny did."

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 4 2008, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 4 2008, 01:07 PM)

Wow, you really DO listen when I yammer on about stuff.

biggrin.gif

Thanks. heart.gif

Feels great to be "heard", eh GG!!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif It's what we want most!!!

BTW, I don't believe that autism can be discussed without "yammering". . .

. . . symptoms . . . theories . . . potential treatments . . . may or may not effect . . . unless . . . because . . . only a percentage . . . but if . . . early on . . . later on . . . unknown . . . unlock . . . results recorded . . . information learned . . . behaviors observed . . . except . . . unknown side effects . . . relationships to stimuli . . . environmental factors . . . unrelated . . . in conjunction . . . in isolation . . . etc. . . . wacko.gif

As I've said before, autism expresses some similarities from client to client but even more differences - - each person is unique. Professionals, researchers, and parents, alike, are confused and frustrated by the clandestine complexities of autism.

Yammer away GG - - I learn soooooo much from you! Thanks!

hug2.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 6 2008, 01:55 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/04/04/sara....ref=mpstoryview

Cool story!

That's a great example of a person with high-functioning autism who can appreciate the unique qualities autism has given her. She says she wouldn't want to be cured.

I think when a cure is found, it should certainly be optional.

It's amazing how that young lady has truly found her niche. smile.gif