Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jan 14 2008, 11:59 AM)
Please don't think my comment indicated that I do not consider my son a blessing, because I most certainly do. I just had him later in life, and have two step children who are great, so that was why I made the comment about no more children. I completely love my son, and always will. However, I don't know of any parent of an autistic child who does not wish their child did not have Autism.

I pray for my son every day, and pray for a cure every day too.

yes.gif I understand.

One thing I've come to realize is that while SOME parents who have children with certain disabilities might be able to say, "Oh, I love them just the way they are. I wouldn't change a thing, they're just unique the way they are," as the parent of a child with quite severe autism, I would NEVER say that.

As CGOB said, it's not that I don't love Stephen. I do, with my whole being. But would I literally give one of my limbs to have him become normal? Oh, god yes. I'd give both my legs or arms.

Along with my fellow "parents of autism," I continue to read and research and support finding a real cause and therefore a REAL treatment.

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jan 14 2008, 12:59 PM)
Please don't think my comment indicated that I do not consider my son a blessing, because I most certainly do. I just had him later in life, and have two step children who are great, so that was why I made the comment about no more children. I completely love my son, and always will. However, I don't know of any parent of an autistic child who does not wish their child did not have Autism.

I pray for my son every day, and pray for a cure every day too.

I didn't take it to mean that you didn't love your son!

I certainly sympathize with all the struggles you go through as parents of Autistic children.

I guess we were just blessed because Justin is only moderately affected and such a joy wub.gif

Let's all pray that some day we can find a cure rose.gif or at least the cause.

For now we just love them heart.gif

Could help to further understand autism.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1965]

One of the team, Dr Svetlana Shinkareva, said: "We hope to progress to identifying the thoughts associated not just with pictures but also with words and eventually sentences."

The technique could also have medical applications by, for example, providing valuable insights into conditions such as autism.

Study leader Professor Marcel Just said: "People with autism perceive others in a distinctive way that has been difficult to characterise.

"This approach offers a way to discover that characterisation."

The study, published in the journal PLoS ONE, also showed that different people think about the same thing in the same way.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jan 14 2008, 01:19 PM)
I just now read this about your son, Ghostgirl. So, I understand the comment in the politics thread. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son. I hope everything works out for you.

Thank you. smile.gif

I found this little video/website and thought of you smile.gif

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/arleen2112/TRF/ar2112/autismribbon1.gifclick

*I just wanted to add that I have read your blog a few times, and I truly admire your patience and strength* rose.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Jan 19 2008, 06:03 PM)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/arleen2112/TRF/ar2112/autismribbon1.gifclick

*I just wanted to add that I have read your blog a few times, and I truly admire your patience and strength* rose.gif

Just got this same video in an e-mail today and it prompted me to come here.

I think of this almost everyday but don't always send my wishes along.

So here is to Stephen & gg rose.gif wub.gif

I just read what I wrote a while back....should have thought a little more before I wrote it.

It almost makes it sound like I'm happy that my son is Autistic.

That is NOT what I meant. I would give anything for cure. For him to be able to have a normal life, normal relationships ( not that those are always fun and joy). Puberty wasn't easy for Justin and neither is adulthood. Unrealized crushes hurt and it's not like he can really tell us about it.

Sometimes I do wish that my other kids were as sweet and loving and innocent though.

My prayers to all the parents out there who struggle and fight every day rose.gif

GG, I read your blog on occasion, too, and you definitely are a very strong person and a fighter. You have my deepest admiration for all your dedication to this cause. Thank you.

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Jan 19 2008, 05:03 PM)

Thank you, Arleen...so much! What a sweet video.

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 25 2008, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Jan 19 2008, 06:03 PM)
I found this little video/website and thought of you  smile.gif

*I just wanted to add that I have read your blog a few times, and I truly admire your patience and strength*  rose.gif

Just got this same video in an e-mail today and it prompted me to come here.

I think of this almost everyday but don't always send my wishes along.

So here is to Stephen & gg rose.gif wub.gif

hug2.gif

wub.gif

QUOTE (joanneeeeee @ Jan 25 2008, 05:24 PM)
I just read what I wrote a while back....should have thought a little more before I wrote it.
It almost makes it sound like I'm happy that my son is Autistic.
That is NOT what I meant. I would give anything for cure. For him to be able to have a normal life, normal relationships ( not that those are always fun and joy). Puberty wasn't easy for Justin and neither is adulthood. Unrealized crushes hurt and it's not like he can really tell us about it.

Sometimes I do wish that my other kids were as sweet and loving and innocent though.

My prayers to all the parents out there who struggle and fight every day rose.gif

GG, I read your blog on occasion, too, and you definitely are a very strong person and a fighter. You have my deepest admiration for all your dedication to this cause. Thank you.

Oh, no worries, joanneeee...it's all good. I definitely understand where you're coming from.

hug2.gif

Autism comes in all shapes, sizes and forms.

I have what is now called Aspergers Syndrome. I was diagnosed autistic at age 3 as back in 1979, Aspergers was not existent. As a result was put in special schools but was so advanced that after first grade was put in regular school but with a resource room as a challenge. Since I had 4 older sisters and 3 older brothers, they worked with me to help me break through the classic autistic shell.

First instance of something wrong was echolalia which means I would repeat what my folks and/or siblings would say. I still have some traits like certain obsessive interests (rock band history, Red Sox baseball, Pink Panther cartoons, classic WWF wrestling and other things), talk to myself when either lonely or stressed, staring at a mirror. Hard to explain on rest of symptoms. I did overcome lots of odds (graduating High School at 18, getting drivers license at 19, working at record stores, had a girlfriend (shame she cheated on me and I didn't date after that for fear of heart getting smashed and/or misled/trouble).

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Jan 31 2008, 04:00 AM)

I have what is now called Aspergers Syndrome. I was diagnosed autistic at age 3 as back in 1979, Aspergers was not existent. As a result was put in special schools but was so advanced that after first grade was put in regular school but with a resource room as a challenge. Since I had 4 older sisters and 3 older brothers, they worked with me to help me break through the classic autistic shell.

First instance of something wrong was echolalia which means I would repeat what my folks and/or siblings would say. I still have some traits like certain obsessive interests (rock band history, Red Sox baseball, Pink Panther cartoons, classic WWF wrestling and other things), talk to myself when either lonely or stressed, staring at a mirror. Hard to explain on rest of symptoms. I did overcome lots of odds (graduating High School at 18, getting drivers license at 19, working at record stores, had a girlfriend (shame she cheated on me and I didn't date after that for fear of heart getting smashed and/or misled/trouble).

I was very close to someone w/ Aspergers and this all sounds very familiar.

Thanks for opening up again, floydfanatic. I know you struggle daily, and I admire your openness.

I wish Stephen had Aspergers.

I know that sounds crazy, but I do...if he had to have autism, I wish it was that.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. You've overcome some great odds.

I hope some day my son can say the same as eloquently.

So sorry about the broken heart sad.gif but maybe you shouldn't give up? I know, easier said than done, I'm just a hopeless optimist unsure.gif

It's so great that your family helped you and supported you, we saw too many kids institutionalized because the parents couldn't or wouldn't even try. Lucky my husband is a very strong person.

Just want to say that you have my admiration and wish you the best of luck!

rose.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 31 2008, 10:02 AM)

I know that sounds crazy, but I do...if he had to have autism, I wish it was that.

It doesn't sound crazy at all GG.

We all know you're doing a great job with Stephen and that it is a constant struggle. Wishing that your life was a little easier isn't a bad thing, it's human.

hug2.gif

QUOTE (joanneeeeee @ Jan 31 2008, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 31 2008, 10:02 AM)

It doesn't sound crazy at all GG.

We all know you're doing a great job with Stephen and that it is a constant struggle. Wishing that your life was a little easier isn't a bad thing, it's human.

hug2.gif

Thank you, joanneeee...

The support here is invaluable to me.

hug2.gif

~M

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 31 2008, 11:28 AM)

The support here is invaluable to me.

hug2.gif

~M

Have to agree, there's a lot of wonderful people here smile.gif

And hugs, be them virtual or not, are always nice!

( some very proper English there.....)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/joanneeee/glitters/thgarfield2.gif

QUOTE (joanneeeeee @ Jan 31 2008, 11:14 AM)

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. You've overcome some great odds.

I hope some day my son can say the same as eloquently.

So sorry about the broken heart sad.gif but maybe you shouldn't give up? I know, easier said than done, I'm just a hopeless optimist unsure.gif

It's so great that your family helped you and supported you, we saw too many kids institutionalized because the parents couldn't or wouldn't even try. Lucky my husband is a very strong person.

Just want to say that you have my admiration and wish you the best of luck!

rose.gif

Doctors wanted me on meds at age 3 and eventually institutionalized but my father (whom had just defeated his alcohol addiction on Halloween 1978) and my mom (may she RIP despite her hard partying persona was a tough-as-nails mom) told the doctors to stick it. They said your child will get worse after my folks told them how I was going to be raised. My four older sisters and three older brothers all made sure I would take part in be it wiffle ball games, basketball, baseball, swimming and so forth.

Also, my folks used a baseball game mentality when it came to facing punishment. They used the positive reinforcement trick and it worked. If I made a mistake, it was a STRIKE. If I was well-behaved, my folks would buy me either a cassette tape or two for a reward for good behavior.

My first doctor named Dr Togert (from 1979-early 1984) wanted me hospitalized once a year (for my childhood) for tests and I got scared of being away from family and used to scream and throw tantrums after family left after visits. Then once I got my second doctor, a woman named Kathleen Braden, she was very instrumental in working with me to help me crack the shell of my autism to make what seemed impossible, very possible. She became my unofficial spokeperson when it pertained to things like divorce (she wrote a statement on my behalf saying I should live with my father), testings (placement tests were nor applicable so I went to Boston to do tests) and so forth. There was only one hospitalization for a week for tests to make sure I was fine but after age 9, Dr Braden (bless her) said that I should just do out-patient testing as she realized I didn't like being away from family for too long.

I didn't think I would be running a record store ten years ago. I know how to now. However, my job is going south as my boss hired a third party, a fellow hippie to supplant this bald hard rocker from Beantown. I may open my own store in the not too distant future. There will always be people who want CDs and LPs.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 1 2008, 02:10 AM)

Doctors wanted me on meds at age 3 and eventually institutionalized but my father (whom had just defeated his alcohol addiction on Halloween 1978) and my mom (may she RIP despite her hard partying persona was a tough-as-nails mom) told the doctors to stick it. They said your child will get worse after my folks told them how I was going to be raised. My four older sisters and three older brothers all made sure I would take part in be it wiffle ball games, basketball, baseball, swimming and so forth.

Also, my folks used a baseball game mentality when it came to facing punishment. They used the positive reinforcement trick and it worked. If I made a mistake, it was a STRIKE. If I was well-behaved, my folks would buy me either a cassette tape or two for a reward for good behavior.

My first doctor named Dr Togert (from 1979-early 1984) wanted me hospitalized once a year (for my childhood) for tests and I got scared of being away from family and used to scream and throw tantrums after family left after visits. Then once I got my second doctor, a woman named Kathleen Braden, she was very instrumental in working with me to help me crack the shell of my autism to make what seemed impossible, very possible. She became my unofficial spokeperson when it pertained to things like divorce (she wrote a statement on my behalf saying I should live with my father), testings (placement tests were nor applicable so I went to Boston to do tests) and so forth. There was only one hospitalization for a week for tests to make sure I was fine but after age 9, Dr Braden (bless her) said that I should just do out-patient testing as she realized I didn't like being away from family for too long.

I didn't think I would be running a record store ten years ago. I know how to now. However, my job is going south as my boss hired a third party, a fellow hippie to supplant this bald hard rocker from Beantown. I may open my own store in the not too distant future. There will always be people who want CDs and LPs.

That's very similar to what doctors wanted us to do. Our son was diagnosed before he was two because of an unrelated accident. I have to say that being told that your child will never speak or communicate in any way was tough to say the least. Then being told that he'd HAVE to be institutionalized by the age of 7 or 8 was heartbreaking. Watching him being strapped to a chair for tests, screaming and crying the whole time was too much. Inhuman. Justin is a savant genius but if something doesn't interest him, he will pay absolutely no attention to it.

Ritalin wasn't the way to go either, poor child was literally convulsing from it. Changing doctors definitely helped. You were lucky to find a caring doctor who understood you.

Our whole family made a decision and a promise that Justin will always live with one of us ( unless HE decides that he wants to be on his own, that is). If anything ever happened to me or my husband, one of our older kids can have the house as long as they take care of their brother. Still trying to figure out a way to legally put it in some kind of a trust or something, I'm not good with legalese. He has his own money, enough for his interests.

You are doing incredibly well! I just have to say wow again. Amazing. Congrats and hats off to your dad also, mine didn't do so well. But I'm straying.

Hope your job goes better and if you decide to open your own store I'm sure you'll do great! You seem very determined and motivated.

All my best wishes to you hug2.gif

Anything can happen smile.gif