WHERE did you first hear RUSH?

third hand grace

Bowling Alley.....1981..... Tom Sawyer

I was probably 11 or so and still was into top 40 ( I had a lot of girls in the neighborhood and unfortunately no cool older boys to show me the way). I heard New World Man on Casey Casum's (sp?) Top 40 and was hooked ever since. I had to find out everything I could about them from that point on and have been obsessed ever since.

I was in a band when I was 17 and we were practicing in the basement of our drummers sisters house. He was putting on some music while we were taking a break from playing. I remember asking him what he had and he said he had just picked up a new album from Rush. I remember saying I know who Mahogany Rush is but that I didn't remember if I'd ever heard anything from just Rush. He said that I really needed to hear this one song called Xanadu. So he cranked it up through the PA. I loved it from the very beginning. I don't remember if I went out and immediately bought the album but it was in the first week or so. This would've been the fall of 1977. Edited by EagleMoon

At home. My dad played Moving Picture for me and tryed to make me like it.

No luck, untill he forced me to come and see Rush live.

That's a good dad!! :ebert:

• Like 1

In the car of one of my baseball teammate/friend on the way home from playing a night game in high school. Caress Of Steel 8 track 1976 and some of this too :smoke: if I recall correctly........ :)
  • Like 2

Yep, similar story for me - my Dad tried to get me into Rush for ages, but never really succeeded until he dragged me to a Rush Concert in 2011 - thank goodness he did.

• Like 1

It would have been at my boyfriend's house, at age 16. We had just started dating and he played me Permanent Waves. I got rid of the bf a long time ago, but Rush is still in my life :)
  • Like 1

I was in a band in high school around 1975 and a friend played me the first album. We ended up covering Working Man and In the Mood. They became a big part of the rest of my life - almost my R40!

I guess i'll be the first to say I really don't know. I would say it was probably on the radio or MTV sometime when I was a kid back in the 80s. One thing I know for sure is that it was around 1991 or 1992 when I started getting into them. Edited by J2112YYZ

My older cousins would always listen to Rush. I'd hear them talking about them all the time, but when we had family get togethers, I was excluded from the listening parties. I guess 15 year olds don't want 10 year olds cramping their style. One day back in 1980, I was listening to the radio, and I heard the DJ say "and that's Fly By Night, from Rush". I had heard that song many times before, but never knew it was Rush. I was so excited to finally know what my cousins were listening to. I asked for the Fly By Night album for Christmas that year, and the first time I heard Bytor and the Snowdog...I was in love. :haz:
  • Like 1

I had heard The Spirit of Radio for sure as a kid, but it did not stick out being so young(Nothing really did except novelty songs when I was young), but the first definite time was playing Guitar Hero II and hearing YYZ

A local radio station had changed itself from all-seventies hits to Classic Rock, but they hadn't played any Rush until the T4E tour was coming into town. Suddenly I heard "Tom Sawyer" and "The Spirit of Radio", so I had to buy MP and PeW. And other albums. And a glossy picture book of the band and their stories. So yeah, a fan was born. :)

1981 at the kitchen table eating Cheerios before school. My big brother had a room in the basement and used to blast moving pictures before he went to work every morning. I can still see in my mind the wrecked album cover from him throwing it against the wall out of frustration because he couldn't air-drum to all of it.

Now 33 years later we both own drum kits! (But mines better haha!)

I find it interesting how many people first heard Rush on the radio (even back in the 70s or early 80s). In the 70s I listened to a lot of commercial radio and I don't remember ever hearing Rush mentioned. Come the 80s I learned there is so much great music that doesn't get airplay and didn't listen as much, but I still never heard Rush (and by then they were my favourite band, so I would have remembered hearing them). And I didn't grow up in the boonies; I was in the suburb of a major city.

Yeah, thou he only liked Moving Pictures, nothing else with Rush.

So I have forced him to listen to the other Rush-stuff! :P

• Like 1

something doesn't make sense here. he dragged you to a rush concert but all he likes is moving pictures? there really are people at the shows who only know two songs the boys are playing?? I thought that was just something we joked about

Edited by bathory

something doesn't make sense here. he dragged you to a rush concert but all he likes is moving pictures? there really are people at the shows who only know two songs the boys are playing?? I thought that was just something we joked about

Well he got tickets for free from his work, so thats why he went, or else he wouldent go I guess.