Best 1-2-3 track openings to an album?

Rutlefan

Lacuna Coil- Karmacode: Fragile; To The Edge: Our Truth (then Within Me...I might wee myself Iove this album!)

Khoma- The Second Wave: The Guillotine; Stop Making Speeches; If All Else Fails

Rush- Signals: Subdivisions; The Analog Kid; Chemistry

The Gathering- Mandylion: Strange Machines; Eleanor; In Motion #1;

Alter Bridge- ABIII: Slip To The Void; Isolation; Ghost Of Days Gone By

Bruce Springsteen- Born To Run: Thunder Road; Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out; Night

Nightwish- Dark Passion Play: The Poet And The Pendulum; Bye Bye Beautiful; Amaranth

Fleetwood Mac-Fleetwood Mac (1975): Monday Morning; Warm Ways; Blue Letter

Muse- Blackholes And Revelations: Take A Bow; Starlight; Supermassive Black Hole

Idlewild- The Remote Part: You Held The World In Your Arms; A Modern Way Of Letting Go; American English

The Beatles- Help!: Help!; The Night Before; You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes: Sun It Rises; White Winter Hymnal; Ragged Wood

Rush- Grace Under Pressure: Distant Early Warning; Afterimage; Red Sector A

Love- Forever Changes: Alone Again Or; A House Is Not A Motel; Andmoreagain

Jimmy Eat World- Clarity: Table Fo Glasses; Lucky Denver Mint; Your New Aesthetic

Third Eye Blind- Third Eye Blind: Losing A Whole Year; Narcolepsy; Semi-Charmed Life

The Juliana Theory- Understand This Is A Dream: This Is Not A Lovesong; Duane Joseph; August In Bethany

Edited by Segue Myles

AC/DC - Back In Black (1980): Hells Bells, Shoot To Thrill, What Do You Do For Money Honey

Armageddon - Armageddon (1975) - Buzzard, Silver Tightrope, Paths And Planes And Future Gains

Bad Company - Bad Company (1974): Can't Get Enough, Rock Steady, Ready For Love

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (1970): Black Sabbath, The Wizard, Behind The Wall Of Sleep

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973) - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, A National Acrobat, Sabbra Cadabra

Blink-182 - Dogs Eating Dogs (2012): When I Was Young, Dogs Eating Dogs, Disaster

Blink-182 - Dude Ranch (1997): Pathetic, Voyeur, Dammit

Boston - Boston (1976): More Than A Feeling, Peace Of Mind, Foreplay/Long Time

Def Leppard - On Through The Night (1980): Rock Brigade, Hello America, Sorrow Is A Woman

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy (1972): The Endless Enigma (Pt 1), Fugue, The Endless Enigma (Pt 2)

The Killers - Sam's Town (2006): Sam's Town, Enterlude, When You Were Young

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (1969): 21st Century Schizoid Man, I Talk To The Wind, Epitaph

Kiss - Destroyer (1976): Detroit Rock City, King Of The Night Time World, God Of Thunder

Kiss - Kiss (1974): Strutter, Nothin' To Lose, Firehouse

Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction (1992): Skin O' My Teeth, Symphony Of Destruction, Architecture Of Aggression

Metallica - Ride The Lightning (1984): Fight Fire With Fire, Ride The Lightning, For Whom The Bell Tolls

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975): Shine On You Crazy Diamond (I-V), Welcome To The Machine, Have A Cigar

Queen - A Night At The Opera (1975): Death On Two Legs, Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, I'm In Love With My Car

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (1988): I Remember Now, Anarchy-X, Revolution Calling

Queensryche - Rage For Order (1986): Walk In The Shadows, I Dream In Infrared, The Whisper

The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely (2008): Consolers Of The Lonely, Salute Your Solution, You Don't Understand Me

Rush - Clockwork Angels (2012): Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels

Rush - Permanent Waves (1980): The Spirit Of Radio, Freewill, Jacob's Ladder

Rush - Roll The Bones (1991): Dreamline, Bravado, Roll The Bones

Styx - The Grand Illusion (1977): The Grand Illusion, Fooling Yourself, Superstars

Triumph - Allied Forces (1981): Fool For Your Love, Magic Power, Air Raid/Allied Forces

Triumph - Just A Game (1979): Movin' On, Lay It On The Line, Young Enough To Cry

U2 - The Joshua Tree (1987): Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With Or Without You

Van Halen - Fair Warning (1981): Mean Street, "Dirty Movies", Sinner's Swing!

Yes - Close To The Edge (1972): Close To The Edge, And You And I, Siberian Khatru

Yes - The Yes Album (1971): Yours Is No Disgrace, Clap, Starship Trooper

+44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating (2006): Lycanthrope, Baby Come On, When Your Heart Stops Beating

A LOT of great ones on this list. Nice.

Power Of Equality/If You Have To Ask/Breaking The Girl

London Calling/Brand New Cadillac/Jimmy Jazz

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness/Tonight Tonight/Jellybelly

The Waiting/A Woman In Love/Nightwatchman

Poundcake/Judgement Day/Spanked

Mean Street/Dirty Movies/Sinner's Swing

Last Exit/Spin The Black Circle/Not For You

Don't know how I overlooked this one; without any exaggeration, each of the first three tracks is a masterpiece:

The Best of Leonard Cohen -- Suzanne/The Sisters of Mercy/So Long, Marianne

First heard this album on a long Midwest road trip many years ago. Gray winter day. Tedious, isolated, lonely. A fellow passenger lent me the cassette and I spent the next several hours listening to it as naked trees and empty landscapes passed by. I was imprinted; now can't hear these songs without thinking of that drab van trip, and how this album redeemed it.

Edited by Rutlefan

King's X Gretchen Goes to Nebraska: Out of the Silent Planet; Over My Head; Summerland

King's X self-titled: The World Around Me; Prisoner; The Big Picture

Genesis Selling England by the Pound: Dancing with the Moonlit Knight: I Know What I Like; Firth of Fifth

Genesis A Trick of the Tail: Dance on a Volcano; Entangled; Squonk

Black Sabbath Mob Rules: Turn Up the Night; Voodoo; The Sign of the Southern Cross

Blue Oyster Cult Cultosaurus Erectus: Black Blade; Monsters; Divine Wind

Godsmack self-titled: Moon Baby; Whatever; Keep Away

Lamb of God Ashes of the Wake: Laid to Rest; Hourglass; Now You've Got Something to Die For

Edited by Chronos
  • Like 1

Rush: 2112 (2112, Bangkok, Twilight Zone)

Rush: AFTK (AFTK, Xanadu, Closer to the Heart)

Rush: PeW (TSOR, Freewill, Jacob's Ladder)

Rush: MP (TS, Red Barchetta, YYZ)

Led Zep: LZ1 (Good Times, Bad Times, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, You Shook Me)

Led Zep: LZ2 (Whole Lotta Love, What is..., The Lemon Song)

Led Zep: LZ4 (Black Dog, RnR, Battle of Evermore)

Led Zep: Houses (TSRTS, The Rain Song, Over the Hills) (perhaps the best opening on perhaps the best album)

Beatles: Sgt. Pep (Sgt Peppers, With a little help, Lucy in the Sky)

AC/DC - Back In Black (1980): Hells Bells, Shoot To Thrill, What Do You Do For Money Honey

Bad Company - Bad Company (1974): Can't Get Enough, Rock Steady, Ready For Love

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (1970): Black Sabbath, The Wizard, Behind The Wall Of Sleep

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973) - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, A National Acrobat, Sabbra Cadabra

Blink-182 - Dogs Eating Dogs (2012): When I Was Young, Dogs Eating Dogs, Disaster

Blink-182 - Dude Ranch (1997): Pathetic, Voyeur, Dammit

Boston - Boston (1976): More Than A Feeling, Peace Of Mind, Foreplay/Long Time

Def Leppard - On Through The Night (1980): Rock Brigade, Hello America, Sorrow Is A Woman

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy (1972): The Endless Enigma (Pt 1), Fugue, The Endless Enigma (Pt 2)

Kiss - Destroyer (1976): Detroit Rock City, King Of The Night Time World, God Of Thunder

Kiss - Kiss (1974): Strutter, Nothin' To Lose, Firehouse

Metallica - Ride The Lightning (1984): Fight Fire With Fire, Ride The Lightning, For Whom The Bell Tolls

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (1988): I Remember Now, Anarchy-X, Revolution Calling

Queensryche - Rage For Order (1986): Walk In The Shadows, I Dream In Infrared, The Whisper

Rush - Clockwork Angels (2012): Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels

Rush - Permanent Waves (1980): The Spirit Of Radio, Freewill, Jacob's Ladder

Rush - Roll The Bones (1991): Dreamline, Bravado, Roll The Bones

Styx - The Grand Illusion (1977): The Grand Illusion, Fooling Yourself, Superstars

Triumph - Allied Forces (1981): Fool For Your Love, Magic Power, Air Raid/Allied Forces

Triumph - Just A Game (1979): Movin' On, Lay It On The Line, Young Enough To Cry

Van Halen - Fair Warning (1981): Mean Street, "Dirty Movies", Sinner's Swing!

Yes - Close To The Edge (1972): Close To The Edge, And You And I, Siberian Khatru

Yes - The Yes Album (1971): Yours Is No Disgrace, Clap, Starship Trooper

I agree with these ones. And i love Dogs Eating Dogs! Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Like 1

If Close to the Edge counts so does Relayer and...

VDGG- Pawn Hearts: Lemmings, Man Erg, A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers

How Bout...

Genesis- Spot the Pigeon: Match of the Day, Pigeons, Inside and Out.

Or....

Agitation Free- Last: Soundpool, Laila II, Looping IV

Hehe

I want to list some, but most of the time when the first three tracks are great, the entire album is.

This.

Robert Palmer - Sneakin Sally Thru the Alley: Sailin Shoes, Hey Julia, Sneaking Sally...

Steely Dan - Aja:Black Cow, Aja, Deacon Blues; The Royal Scam: Kid Charlemagne, Caves of Altamira, Don't Take Me Alive

XTC - English Settlement:Runaways, Ball and Chain, Senses Working Overtime

Porcupine Tree- Fear of A Blank Planet: Fear...,My Ashes, Anesthetize

The Police- Ghost In The Machine: Spirits In The Material World, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, Invisible Sun

The Beatles- Revolver: Taxman, Eleanor Rigby, You Wont See Me

Billy Joel -Nylon Curtain: Allentown, Laura, Pressure

• Like 1