Best 1-2-3 track openings to an album?

Rutlefan

Genesis - Invisible Touch: Invisible Touch, Tonight Tonight Tonight, Land of Confusion

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark: Court and Spark, Help Me, Free Man in Paris

ELO - A New World Record: Tightrope, Telephone Line, Rockaria!

ELO - Out of the Blue: Sweet Talkin' Woman, It's Over, Turn To Stone

Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell: Neon Knights, Children of the Sea, Lady Evil (then Heaven & Hell)

Heart - Dreamboat Annie: Magic Man, Dreamboat Annie, Crazy On You

Billy Joel - The Stranger: Movin' Out, The Stranger, Just the Way You Are

Billy Joel - 52nd Street: Big Shot, Honesty, My Life

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood: Pseudo Silk Kimono, Kayleigh, Lavender

Schoolhouse Rock - Grammar Rock: Unpack Your Adjectives, Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, Get Your Adverbs Here, Conjunction Junction

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water: Bridge Over Troubled Water, El Condor Pasa (If I Could), Cecilia

U2 - Joshua Tree: Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With Or Without You

• Like 2

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper...: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - With A Little Help From My Friends - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

Pink Floyd - Dark Side...: Speak To Me - Breathe - On The Run

Genesis - The Lamb...: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Fly On A Windshield - Broadway Melody Of 1974

• Like 1

Great Thread !.

Led Zepp IV . - Black Dog , Rock n Roll , Battle Of Evermore

Quadrophenia - I Am The Sea , The Real Me , Quadrophenia

A Farewell To Kings - A Farewell To Kings , Xanadu , Closer To The Heart

Shear Heart Attack - Brighton Rock , Killer Queen , Tenement Funster

The Kick Inside - Moving , The Saxohone Song , Strange Phenomena

A New World Record - Tightrope , Telephone Line Rockaria .

Blonde On Blonde - Rainy Day Woman , Pledging My Time , Visions Of Johanna

• Like 3

Close to the Edge (Yes) -- Close to the Edge, And You And I, Siberian Khatru

By a strange coincidence, they also make a great 3 songs to finish an album on, too ;)

• Like 1

Tool - Lateralus: The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient

Peter Gabriel - So: Red Rain, Sledgehammer, Don't Give Up

Rush - Vapor Trails: One Little Victory, Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider

Rush - Roll The Bones: Dreamline, Bravado, Roll The Bones

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres: Waitin' For The Bus, Jesus Just Left Chicago, Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers

Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence: The Glass Prison, Blind Faith, Misunderstood

to name a few :)

Edited by The Analog Grownup

Close to the Edge (Yes) -- Close to the Edge, And You And I, Siberian Khatru

By a strange coincidence, they also make a great 3 songs to finish an album on, too ;)

Good idea!

Overlooked my favorite first three outside of OK Computer, The Smiths Louder Than Bombs -- Is it Really So Strange/Sheila Take a Bow/Shoplifters of the World Unite.

I'll also add...

Patty Griffin Flaming Red -- Flaming Red/One Big Love/Tony

Kate Bush Hounds of Love -- Running Up That Hill/Hounds of Love/The Big Sky. ... Awesome.

New Oder's Substance, opening with Ceremony, Everything's Gone Green, and Temptation, would have been near the top if they hadn't remixed/ruined Temptation.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Queen knew what they were doing....from the first 6.

Queen - Keep Yourself Alive/Doing All Right/Great King Rat

Queen II - Procession/Father To Son/White Queen(As It Began)

Sheer Heart Attack - Brighton Rock/Killer Queen/Tenement Funster

A Night At The Opera - Death on Two Legs/Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon/I'm In Love With My Car

A Day At The Races - Tie Your Mother Down/You Take My Breath Away/Long Away

News of The World - We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions/Sheer Heart Attack

Clever boys.

• Like 4

A Night At The Opera - Death on Two Legs/Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon/I'm In Love With My Car

Clever boys.

Good call, especially (for me) Night at the Opera. I'm in Love With My Car is one of my favorites by anyone. For that matter, I'll add the first three from a grossly overlooked album, Roger Taylor's Fun in Space -- No Violins, Laugh or Cry, Future Management. The opening tracks of the second side -- Good Times are Now, Magic is Loose, Interlude in Constantinople -- are also fantastic. Have always loved that album. One of the best voices in rock.

Edited by Rutlefan

Clever boys.

Good call, especially (for me) Night at the Opera. I'm in Love With My Car is one of my favorites by anyone. For that matter, I'll add the first three from a grossly overlooked album, Roger Taylor's Fun in Space -- No Violins, Laugh or Cry, Future Management. The opening tracks of the second side -- Good Times are Now, Magic is Loose, Interlude in Constantinople -- are also fantastic. Have always loved that album. One of the best voices in rock.

Love Fun In Space! He has a great voice.

AC/DC - Back In Black (1980): Hells Bells, Shoot To Thrill, What Do You Do For Money Honey

Armageddon - Armageddon (1975) - Buzzard, Silver Tightrope, Paths And Planes And Future Gains

Bad Company - Bad Company (1974): Can't Get Enough, Rock Steady, Ready For Love

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (1970): Black Sabbath, The Wizard, Behind The Wall Of Sleep

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973) - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, A National Acrobat, Sabbra Cadabra

Blink-182 - Dogs Eating Dogs (2012): When I Was Young, Dogs Eating Dogs, Disaster

Blink-182 - Dude Ranch (1997): Pathetic, Voyeur, Dammit

Boston - Boston (1976): More Than A Feeling, Peace Of Mind, Foreplay/Long Time

Def Leppard - On Through The Night (1980): Rock Brigade, Hello America, Sorrow Is A Woman

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy (1972): The Endless Enigma (Pt 1), Fugue, The Endless Enigma (Pt 2)

The Killers - Sam's Town (2006): Sam's Town, Enterlude, When You Were Young

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (1969): 21st Century Schizoid Man, I Talk To The Wind, Epitaph

Kiss - Destroyer (1976): Detroit Rock City, King Of The Night Time World, God Of Thunder

Kiss - Kiss (1974): Strutter, Nothin' To Lose, Firehouse

Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction (1992): Skin O' My Teeth, Symphony Of Destruction, Architecture Of Aggression

Metallica - Ride The Lightning (1984): Fight Fire With Fire, Ride The Lightning, For Whom The Bell Tolls

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975): Shine On You Crazy Diamond (I-V), Welcome To The Machine, Have A Cigar

Queen - A Night At The Opera (1975): Death On Two Legs, Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, I'm In Love With My Car

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (1988): I Remember Now, Anarchy-X, Revolution Calling

Queensryche - Rage For Order (1986): Walk In The Shadows, I Dream In Infrared, The Whisper

The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely (2008): Consolers Of The Lonely, Salute Your Solution, You Don't Understand Me

Rush - Clockwork Angels (2012): Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels

Rush - Permanent Waves (1980): The Spirit Of Radio, Freewill, Jacob's Ladder

Rush - Roll The Bones (1991): Dreamline, Bravado, Roll The Bones

Styx - The Grand Illusion (1977): The Grand Illusion, Fooling Yourself, Superstars

Triumph - Allied Forces (1981): Fool For Your Love, Magic Power, Air Raid/Allied Forces

Triumph - Just A Game (1979): Movin' On, Lay It On The Line, Young Enough To Cry

U2 - The Joshua Tree (1987): Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With Or Without You

Van Halen - Fair Warning (1981): Mean Street, "Dirty Movies", Sinner's Swing!

Yes - Close To The Edge (1972): Close To The Edge, And You And I, Siberian Khatru

Yes - The Yes Album (1971): Yours Is No Disgrace, Clap, Starship Trooper

+44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating (2006): Lycanthrope, Baby Come On, When Your Heart Stops Beating

• Like 3

Pixies Doolittle - "Debaser", "Tame", "Wave of Mutilation"

And I'll nominate Trompe Le Monde's Trompe Le Monde, Planet of Sound, and Alec Eiffel. One of my favorite albums. The last minute of Alec Eiffel is so cool. Very prog.

• Like 1

Daft Punk: Discovery (2001)-One More Time, Aerodynamic, Digital Love

Great Big Sea: Play (1997)-Ordinary Day, When I'm Up (I can't get down), The Night that Pat Murphy Died

Johnny Cash American Recording IV: The Man Comes Around -- The Man Comes Around, Hurt, Give My Love to Rose
  • Like 3

Not sure how to play this one. Is Hemispheres broken down into pieces? Well let's just go with : Hemispheres, Circumstances, The Trees.

And if La Villa Strangiato was after Circumstances instead of the Trees, I would be disappointed in every other list I've seen on this thread. Actually, I already am.

Hemispheres is greatness.

• Like 1