Winter 2013 - 2014

RushCanuck

My favorite time of year. :D-13: :D-13: :D-13: :D-13: :D-13: :D-13: :D-13: :D-13: :D-13: :D-13:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_2726.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/slow-clap-my-friend-slow-clap.gif

• Like 1

It's been sunny and in the 60s here in California. Last Friday we had a very cold snowstorm and about 6" of white powder.

Well in Manitoba the temps are below average for December (-20s when it should only be -10s) but we were compensated by not having snow as early as we normally do.

It was 72 degrees in Myrtle Beach SC today. Am I in the correct thread?...... :) Edited by Narpet

*sigh* Winters in Seattle are disappointing. I grew up with snow. There needs to be snow in December. It actually did snow here last Friday. We got maybe an inch (I'm being generous) and the city STOPPED. No school. Busses were stuck. It's still so funny to me how this area deals with snowfall. Nobody drove anywhere for fear of careening off the road with no one to rescue them since not even a two ton bus can make it though an inch of snow.
  • Like 1

RushCanuck, thanks for starting this thread. I do love the winter, but it seems that the older I get, it is harder for me to take the cold weather.

Seems the same for me.

and I can't find socks to keep my feet warm enough.

I find that comfortable wool-blend socks generally do the trick. Get the ones that are both thick and comfy and soft. Sporting goods stores sell them (they are sold as "outdoor socks" ) and even Wal Mart at times.

I get up early in the morning. Our nights the past couple of weeks have been clear and cold, and my favorite thing to do at 5:30 A.M. is to, when I go outside to feed the animals, look up at the sky. The stars are brilliant and the constellations are easy to decipher. It is beautiful, but not as beautiful as when the ice frosts the tree limbs and they glisten in the light of the moon.

Nicely said.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

It is effing cold here .. I wish I could hibernate until the spring. The older I get, the more I feel the cold.

Isn't that what people who live in really cold regions have to do? To basically "hibernate" i.e. -- to hole up in small warm shelter, and pretty much stay there all winter, going outside only when necessary and for short periods of time?

Anybody here from Siberia or the colder parts of Canada or Alaska, to give some personal insight into the matter?

- 11 C today in London, Ontario. (10 F). Windchill is - 17C (1 F). It's supposed to be this frigid all week long. The weather report said this weather is coming from Siberia (never a good sign). We're only 2 hours northeast of Detroit, and they have similar weather, perhaps a little warmer but not much. Jan. 1 will be the NHL outdoor classic near Detroit. I'm curious if there will be a shot of a shirtless fan (always seems to be one).

- 11 C today in London, Ontario. (10 F). Windchill is - 17C (1 F). It's supposed to be this frigid all week long. The weather report said this weather is coming from Siberia (never a good sign). We're only 2 hours northeast of Detroit, and they have similar weather, perhaps a little warmer but not much. Jan. 1 will be the NHL outdoor classic near Detroit. I'm curious if there will be a shot of a shirtless fan (always seems to be one).

Hopefully it's a female this time. I might even watch a hockey game for that.... :D-13:
  • Like 2

Forecast for Sunday.....high of -2, low of -26.

Forecast for Monday......high of -9, low of -20.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

:o I was gonna complain because its raining here and about 45 degrees..... :outtahere:
  • Like 1

They were talking about the weather conditions for the Packers game on sports talk radio this morning. -51 with the wind chill? Is that right?

When I was in my 20s, I loved getting dressed up in my ski gear to go to Patriots games in December (back then they usually didn't play in January). At the time, drinking cold beer in a parking lot in 10 degree weather seemed fun.

It's supposed to snow here in eastern MA until tomorrow afternoon.

Two weeks of inversion. I HATE INVERSIONS!

People who aren't from here hate the snow but they don't know that snowstorms clean the air and keep the warmer air near the ground. It's much colder and more miserable when we get high pressure systems with no storms. Having a stormy weather pattern in most cases will melt more snow than having a high pressure inversion stuck over the west.

• Like 1

They were talking about the weather conditions for the Packers game on sports talk radio this morning. -51 with the wind chill? Is that right?

Packersnews.com says temps at kickoff should be around zero, and wind chills are expected to bring it to around -20.

• Like 1

Packersnews.com says temps at kickoff should be around zero, and wind chills are expected to bring it to around -20.

Well that's altogether different then........ :eyeroll:

Two weeks of inversion. I HATE INVERSIONS!

People who aren't from here hate the snow but they don't know that snowstorms clean the air and keep the warmer air near the ground. It's much colder and more miserable when we get high pressure systems with no storms. Having a stormy weather pattern in most cases will melt more snow than having a high pressure inversion stuck over the west.

You need to stop making that crazy sense, or this thread will end up in the SOCN.

;)

It's not supposed to be all that windy on Sunday. 9 mph, which isn't bad at all for this time of year. Still, it will add to the bitter cold a bit.

The Bengals and Chargers played the AFC Championship Game in January, 1982, and it was -9 with a wind chill of -59..... :o That is offically the coldest game time temperature (wind aided) in NFL History. I lived down there at the time, and it was something..... The Bengal O-linemen came out in SHORT SLEEVES, just to intimidate the Chargers...... :LOL:

• Like 1

When I was in my 20s, I loved getting dressed up in my ski gear to go to Patriots games in December (back then they usually didn't play in January). At the time, drinking cold beer in a parking lot in 10 degree weather seemed fun.

It's fascinating how things change a LOT when that thermometer drops below zero. Even when the temp is in the single digits, life is relatively fine. Cars start up quickly, you can go out and do things, drink beer, all is well.... :ebert:

....but when that number goes negative, especially double-digit negative, things tend to not want to work. Even your car's soft, plush seats rebel and turn rock hard...... :doh:

• Like 2