Shawshank Redemption did it AGAIN!!

Xanadoood

I'd like to think that the last thing that went through the warden's head, other than that bullet, was how the Hell Andy Dufresne ever got the best of him.
  • Like 3

That movie is perfect.

Read somewhere that Tom Cruise and Harrison Ford were originally intended to play the roles of Andy and Red. Hard to imagine anyone else in those roles besides Robbins and Freeman. Hell, the warden and Clancy Brown were cast perfectly too

• Like 1

That movie is perfect.

Read somewhere that Tom Cruise and Harrison Ford were originally intended to play the roles of Andy and Red. Hard to imagine anyone else in those roles besides Robbins and Freeman. Hell, the warden and Clancy Brown were cast perfectly too

Tom Cruise would have treated the part as an Oscar showcase role. Tim Robbins gave the part what it deserved -- a dignified and measured performance, same as Freeman did with his.

• Like 1

That movie is perfect.

Tom Cruise would have treated the part as an Oscar showcase role. Tim Robbins gave the part what it deserved -- a dignified and measured performance, same as Freeman did with his.

Every character is cast perfectly...really a remarkable coming together of actors, story and direction. A rare thing.

That movie is perfect.

Every character is cast perfectly...really a remarkable coming together of actors, story and direction. A rare thing.

Tim Robbins above all. Andy Dufresne was a dime-o-dozen dork accountant. Nothing special or remarkable about his life, his looks, his demeanor. He did have a superior intellect, though, and that was his greatest ally.

Tom Cruise could have never played Dufresne nearly as well as Robbins did.

• Like 1

The novella by Stephen King, actually "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" from Different Seasons, is fantastic. Stand By Me, which was called "The Body" in the book, was as well. King's books seldom transfer well to the screen, but those two did.

Funny thing about Freeman's role is that the character of Red was almost certainly white in the book. But he's such a fantastic actor that I now have a hard time picturing what I imagined Red to look like when I read the book. He's arguably the greatest living actor.

Funny thing about Freeman's role is that the character of Red was almost certainly white in the book. But he's such a fantastic actor that I now have a hard time picturing what I imagined Red to look like when I read the book. He's arguably the greatest living actor.

Yeah maybe. I think he, Gary Oldman, and Denzel Washington are ALWAYS good even if all their movies aren't

Yeah maybe. I think he, Gary Oldman, and Denzel Washington are ALWAYS good even if all their movies aren't

Gary Oldman is fantastic in True Romance. He's almost unrecognizable.

He's arguably the greatest living actor.

After Nic Cage

After Valley Girl he went down hill.

My vote goes to Patrick Stewart. Clint deserves a nod too, why the hell not?

• Like 1

Not one word or action in the screenplay gave us any inclination that Red was white or black. Red was just another convict. If memory serves, the guards didn't say one word about it, nor did any of the other convicts. It was one of those rare films in which a character's skin color didn't matter at all.

Not one word or action in the screenplay gave us any inclination that Red was white or black. Red was just another convict. If memory serves, the guards didn't say one word about it, nor did any of the other convicts. It was one of those rare films in which a character's skin color didn't matter at all.

It may just be that I pictured someone in 1940s Maine as most likely being white. But I've read all of King's books. I would think if Red were black, Red (King) would have mentioned it himself, or one of the other characters would have. Maybe not though.

You know, as a movie it's really nothing special. It's pretty ordinary - but sometimes that's all a movie needs to be. It's only agenda is to entertain the audience. And I should add that sometimes ordinary is great.

At a meeting today we had to do one of those ice breakers where you get a stem and have to complete it. Made my day when a colleague named this as his favorite film. All the men in the room gave it the "f**k yeah!" nod of approval.