Vapor Trails Remix!

Jaminbenb

f**k yeah! Finally I can listen without getting a headache and ear-ringing. Now we can hear all those details.

I already lost hope because some time ago Geddy said it won't happen.

Edited by Irenicus

f**k yeah! Finally I can listen without getting a headache and ear-ringing. Now we can hear all those details.

I've been listening to VT for years without the headache or the ear-ringing, and less the mid-level white noise mess that plagues the original release. It was a homemade remaster which greatly reduced the amount of clipping and thundering wall of noise, and allowed the listener to actually hear the music. With this new remix, we may be getting a new level of clarity and detail. But we also need to be prepared to get a set of songs that will have a completely different sonic feel. All of those personal favorite moments of emotion, kick, punch, or other nuances tied to the original mix could be to be taken away. The Retrospective 3 remixes did just that, and they are terrible.

I'm trying to find excitement in this remix release, but I'm just not there. Personally, I was hoping to have everything I love about the original mix to be kept intact and still be able to experience a cleaned up sound. That will more than likely not be the case. I hope I'm blown away and proven to be worried for no reason. Perhaps David Bottrill latched on to the original core of sound and the output stays true to what VT has meant to me for all these years. Time will tell, I guess.

• Like 1

How awesome is this! I have really high hopes for this remix; that album is full of so many good songs, but I don't listen that often because of that distortion.

Now if we could get a release date on that live Clockwork Angels album...

Or a remix of Clockwork Angels!!!!

I was about to say that.

I've been listening to VT for years without the headache or the ear-ringing, and less the mid-level white noise mess that plagues the original release. It was a homemade remaster which greatly reduced the amount of clipping and thundering wall of noise, and allowed the listener to actually hear the music. With this new remix, we may be getting a new level of clarity and detail. But we also need to be prepared to get a set of songs that will have a completely different sonic feel. All of those personal favorite moments of emotion, kick, punch, or other nuances tied to the original mix could be to be taken away. The Retrospective 3 remixes did just that, and they are terrible.

I'm trying to find excitement in this remix release, but I'm just not there. Personally, I was hoping to have everything I love about the original mix to be kept intact and still be able to experience a cleaned up sound. That will more than likely not be the case. I hope I'm blown away and proven to be worried for no reason. Perhaps David Bottrill latched on to the original core of sound and the output stays true to what VT has meant to me for all these years. Time will tell, I guess.

I have to guess that Bottrill was brought in because the band thought the Chycki remixes sounded just how you described -- they lost that angry sonic energy of the originals. If they were happy with the way Chycki approached those remixes they probably would have let him finish the album.

If the Bottrill remixes clean up the sound without losing the angst, we'll look back on all this and think, it was smart the way they did it -- remix two of the songs, clean them up and make them pristine, and let them sink in for a while before committing to remixing the whole album. And, of course, get some proper feedback from us. ;)

That said, I thought the Chycki "OLV" remix was pretty good, but the "Earthshine" one lost its balls.

I have to guess that Bottrill was brought in because the band thought the Chycki remixes sounded just how you described -- they lost that angry sonic energy of the originals. If they were happy with the way Chycki approached those remixes they probably would have let him finish the album.

If the Bottrill remixes clean up the sound without losing the angst, we'll look back on all this and think, it was smart the way they did it -- remix two of the songs, clean them up and make them pristine, and let them sink in for a while before committing to remixing the whole album. And, of course, get some proper feedback from us. ;)

That said, I thought the Chycki "OLV" remix was pretty good, but the "Earthshine" one lost its balls.

I think I've got my negativity about the remix out of my system. I need to focus on the possibilities of what it may sound like. May it be awesome. :haz:
  • Like 1

I like Vapor Trails just the way it is, but I am interested in a remix, just as a "something different" kind of thing. I do hope the album doesn't lose its balls, so to speak - the songs are loud and agressive, raw and punchy, and I hope they stay this way, but more cleaned-up, I guess, for those that have had issues with the sound.

The fan-made remixes I've heard have, for me, lost the punchiness of the music, but I'm sure this has been a big consideration in this project. At the very least, I will be happy if more people can latch onto Vapor Trails, and give it the appreciation it deserves! Go, Vapor Trails! :)

• Like 2

What did you think of the HD Tracks remasters?

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think a good majority of people on this board still haven't heard the HD tracks(I tunes) remaster. There is no headache or ear fatigue and it sounds good in headphones. A remix is good news but if it is similar to the tracks on Retrospective, I might prefer the I tunes version. I thought the Retrospective tracks sounded good but lost a lot of the balls that I was used to. We'll see what happens. Another album collection by Rush though? Rolls eyes. Tell me these guys aren't cashing in at the end of their careers:)

What did you think of the HD Tracks remasters?

You know... I'm old and out of touch. I had no idea what HD Tracks was until today. Are they good? I'd like to check them out, but have not yet.

It will be nice to have the two versions to compare. I'm freaking obsessive because I just ordered the box set and the vinyl. Here's some REALLY big pictures.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/BoxSet1.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/BoxSet2.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/VaporTrailsRemixed.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent! I can't wait to get my hands on it! Does anyone know if the box set is completely remastered? It would be nice to hear Presto and Roll the Bones with some hair on those B@lls! :spitwater:

I agree totally dude...many people slam VT because of sound but Presto IMO is the biggest terd fest

And yet it has at least 6 memorable tracks on it! Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, Presto, The Pass, Superconductor and Available Light!

:rush: :haz: :rush:

Sub out Superconductor and put in Scars or Red Tide or even War Paint and I agree with you.

Superconductor is decent....but one of the weakest tracks along with a true turd in Anagram (For Mongo)

As far as the remix of VT......Finally. I can't wait to hear Nocturne and Freeze remixed. Also Ceiling Unlimited. A lot of really good songs on VT

Vaportrail (one of my all time favorite Rush songs)

Ghost Rider

Earthshine

Ceiling Unlimited

Freeze

Secret Touch

Nocturne

Sweet Miracle

One Little Victory

Stars Look Down

All those for me are really great Rush songs.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2