Best comeback albums

bathory

with the new sabbath and the new queensryche out, comeback albums are the talk of the town, so what are you guys' favorites?

and to clarify, a comeback album could either be the first album in a long-ass time, the first kick-ass record after a string of shitty/mediocre ones, or the first album after a break-up. and some albums that might not be comebacks for me might be comebacks for you. for example, some would say counterparts or clockwork angels are combeback albums. I love those records, but I don't think rush were ever shitty enough (or shitty at all) to have anything to bounce back from.

some of my favorites:

megadeth - the system has failed - not an amazing record but definitely a return to the thrashy sound that the band was known for

judas priest - painkiller - after a string of lackluster records (turbo and ram it down), priest returned to pure heavy metal and made one of their best records when nobody thought they could

saint vitus - lillie f-65 - solid doom metal after nearly two decades without an album

dinosaur jr - beyond - the original line-up reformed and put out the perfect successor to 1988's bug

iron maiden - brave new world - after a bunch of weak 90s record, bruce and adrian rejoin and make a great f***ing album

exodus - tempo of the damned - first exodus album in over a decade and the gang is back for one of the best thrash albums of the modern era

sodom - m-16 - easily their best record since agent orange (and their last great album), a concept album about vietnam proves to be one of the best albums of their career in a time when thrash wasnt exactly on top of the world

with the new sabbath and the new queensryche out, comeback albums are the talk of the town, so what are you guys' favorites?

and to clarify, a comeback album could either be the first album in a long-ass time, the first kick-ass record after a string of shitty/mediocre ones, or the first album after a break-up. and some albums that might not be comebacks for me might be comebacks for you. for example, some would say counterparts or clockwork angels are combeback albums. I love those records, but I don't think rush were ever shitty enough (or shitty at all) to have anything to bounce back from.

some of my favorites:

megadeth - the system has failed - not an amazing record but definitely a return to the thrashy sound that the band was known for

judas priest - painkiller - after a string of lackluster records (turbo and ram it down), priest returned to pure heavy metal and made one of their best records when nobody thought they could

saint vitus - lillie f-65 - solid doom metal after nearly two decades without an album

dinosaur jr - beyond - the original line-up reformed and put out the perfect successor to 1988's bug

iron maiden - brave new world - after a bunch of weak 90s record, bruce and adrian rejoin and make a great f***ing album

exodus - tempo of the damned - first exodus album in over a decade and the gang is back for one of the best thrash albums of the modern era

sodom - m-16 - easily their best record since agent orange (and their last great album), a concept album about vietnam proves to be one of the best albums of their career in a time when thrash wasnt exactly on top of the world

You must have watched "That Metal Show" the other night.

Renaissance - Grandine Il Vento (I haven't heard their more recent releases, but this was the first new studio album in over 10 years)

David Bowie - The Next Day (like with Renaissance, I haven't heard his more recent releases but I really like this one)

Van der Graaf Generator - Trisector (not sure if it counts, since there's some good music on Present, but this was a step up)

Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers (great return of the Mark II lineup)

Blue Oyster Cult - Heaven Forbid (Harvest Moon is one of my favorite BOC songs and the rest of the album is very good too)

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

some of my favorites:

You must have watched "That Metal Show" the other night.

nah I haven't watched TMS in a long while, although that's a weird coincidence

some of my favorites:

Yeah, Beyond & Brave New World are off the charts. Huge comebacks. Even today, I was in the garden, weeding etc and Ghost of The Navigator came up on the the old shuffle. Still thrills me.

• Like 1

Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson

Somewhere Down That Crazy River and Showdown At Big Sky are two outstanding tunes! :haz:

The Black Crowes - Warpaint

The Allman Brothers - Where It All Begins (not exactly a comeback album as they had released Seven Turns and Shades Of Two Worlds once reuniting. But too me, this is the best ABB album post Duane/Berry)

Soundgarden - King Animal

The Cure - Bloodflowers

Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2

Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell

The Cars - Move Like This

Ben Folds Five - The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind

Stone Temple Pilots - self titled

Pantera - Reinventing The Steel

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

RHCP - Californication

Pearl Jam - self titled

Roxy Music - Avalon

Santana - Supernatural

Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind,Blood On The Tracks,Oh Mercy

Springsteen - The Rising

U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind

Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth

Weezer - Maladroit (the one really good post Pinkerton album IMO)

Neil Young - Freedom

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 5

John Fogerty - Centerfield

George Harrison - Cloud 9

Neil Young - Freedom

Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson

Fogerty's "Centerfield" is a classic. (just got tickets for the Beacon Theatre gig this November).

"Cloud Nine" along with The Traveling Wilburys is a definite creative high for George.

The gem on your list is Robbie Robertson's first solo album. I have the MFSL version of this and it just sounds amazing. "Showdown at Big Sky" is one of my favourite songs by any artist on any album ever. The line in the song, "Can't predict the future, can't forget the past, feels like any moment could be the last..." just wrecks me every time I hear it.