Is TRF A "Rush" Forum Anymore?

Nate2112

It seems that TRF has lessened it's degree for Rush over the ages. Maybe it is just me, but does anyone ever think of this? When I go to TRF now, I don't bother with half of the forum because I just lost interest in Rush over the ages. Even now, while I'm listening to The Camera Eye, I used to get this brilliant vibe when I listen to them. Not anymore, but anyway, is TRF a social forum or a RUSH forum? It seems that everyone goes to either the Random Samples or the Music Of The Spheres to talk...I do the same so I can't complain LOL. When I first joined the forum when I was 12, I joined because this was the place to talk with fellow Rush fans. Now, I go and talk to Mr.IsNot, Tommy Sawyer and Adace because we all enjoy the same music. I haven't seen Metaldad, JohnnyBlaze, danielmclark, or Pags in a whole lot of time! I miss the old arguments of "what era of Rush is better" and Rush Goober's famous "VAPOR TRAILZ RULES" quotes. Also, call me crazy, but Cosy Toes was part of the whole TRF Experience. Heck, I wonder what TRF was like when it started in 2004.

You answered your own question in your first few sentences.

Q: "It seems that TRF has lessened it's degree for Rush over the ages."

A: "Maybe it is just me... When I go to TRF now, I don't bother with half of the forum because I just lost interest in Rush over the ages."

And of those four people you mentioned as being AWOL, Metaldad, JohnnyBlaze, danielmclark, and Pags, only daniel has been missing for a while.

I agree you seemed to have answered your own question to a degree.

The other problem is this....there is only SO MUCH a group of people can talk about as it relates to a musical act. We constantly see all the

"This album is better than that one.." or "What would happen if Rush did this..." type crap threads that go on and on about absolutely nothing.

They are meaningless threads that get duplicated time and time again. We come to this place as a group of people who share a common interest in

mainly one thing, but also other similar things as well. Because there is really a limited amount of insightful, interesting things to talk about that covers the

MAIN one thing we are here for, it is only natural that we need to also talk about other things as well.

• Like 4

It seems that TRF has lessened it's degree for Rush over the ages. Maybe it is just me, but does anyone ever think of this? When I go to TRF now, I don't bother with half of the forum because I just lost interest in Rush over the ages.

"Over the ages"?? You've been a member for 2.5 years. :LOL:

Ah to be so young again that 2 years feels like ages ago....

• Like 3

It seems that TRF has lessened it's degree for Rush over the ages. Maybe it is just me, but does anyone ever think of this? When I go to TRF now, I don't bother with half of the forum because I just lost interest in Rush over the ages.

"Over the ages"?? You've been a member for 2.5 years. :LOL:

Ah to be so young again that 2 years feels like ages ago....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/40oz_laugh_in_tub.gif

I love this forum not only because of Rush, but also for the fact that you can read and share ideas and thoughts with so many great people on pretty much any subject from music to movies to sports, politics, religion, food, etc., etc.

I think that TRF is one of the most well rounded sites on the Internet.

The fact that it is not one dimensional makes it more appealing.

• Like 8

You can only discuss the remastering of Vapor Trails, whether or not Neil is an asshole, Rush and the RNRHOF so many times before it becomes old hat. That is why all of the other sub-forums are so great! :haz: Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 3

I'm still trying to find my niche here...but I'm limited on time so that makes it tough. I do enjoy what I read and participate in (albeit in a very limited capacity).

I love the band and it's nice to know that when I need to be around other fans, this place is here. :)

• Like 4

I'm amazed anyone knows who I am anymore. Thanks Nate! Nate's 2.5 years to my 8.5... I'm ancient!! :codger:

8.5 years at an internet site is like being a tortoise from Galapagos, or a span of geological time. :laughing guy:

To sum up all my arguments and convos in the Rush part of the forum:

• Old Rush good, New Rush... JUST AS GOOD.
  • Vapor Trails is a stellar album, but it needs to be remastered (NOT REMIXED).
  • Yes, I like Heresy.
  • I don't care about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but I'm happy for them if they are happy. It's more fun to be celebrated than overlooked, I guess.
  • I don't care about being friends with anyone in the band. I like them for the job they do, and have no illusions that my fate to have them over to my house for a BBQ is the way it's supposed to be. However...
  • I won a staring contest with Neil. (I really did)
  • I hate seeing the set list before I see the show (I'm in 'that' camp)
  • I think John Rutsey rocks.
  • It's like a cheese grater on my ass when I see it referred to as "Spirit of the Radio".
  • I don't care if Geddy never brings back the Ric. But he better not ever pick up the Steinberger again.
  • I always wanted to know who Alex was saying "STOP! PLEASE, STOP!" to, and why.
  • I don't like to listen to the recent live CD's, because I don't think the vocals sound that good. But to see a live show, or watch a recent DVD is entirely another matter. The combo of sight with sound makes all the difference. It's killer.
  • I'm happy I was able to find a technological home for my jacket... TRF.
  • The last two albums I got into by the band are Grace Under Pressure and Caress of Steel. For years, I hated them. But then it finally clicked and now I think they each contain some of the band's best work. But I find genius in every album. (See New Rush... JUST AS GOOD)

AND

• If anyone ever asked what my favorite self-started topic was, it would be The Sounds in the Songs.

All that took 8 and a half years. Sheesh!

Edited by Pags
  • Like 9

I only come here for the latest on Rush. If I want to discuss the issues of the day or engage in great philosophical arguments, I go to "The Bieber Forum".

I thought your posts sounded familiar.

Yes, I thought I recognized you from the "Justin deconstructs Kant's categorical imperative" thread, though Selena Gomez made a strong teleological argument in response.

I think this led to the "breakup of 2012" that hit so many of us so hard.

• Like 3

I only come here for the latest on Rush. If I want to discuss the issues of the day or engage in great philosophical arguments, I go to "The Bieber Forum".

I thought your posts sounded familiar.

Yes, I thought I recognized you from the "Justin deconstructs Kant's categorical imperative" thread, though Selena Gomez made a strong teleological argument in response.

I think this led to the "breakup of 2012" that hit so many of us so hard.

Yes, indeed, that is me. And I must confide in you that the trauma that resulted from that thread was so great, I have yet to recover. I come here to TRF to try and forget. Threads like this help immensely.

• Like 1

I'm just saying hello :hi:

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon002.gif

:hi:

There isn't really a Bieber Forum, is there?! :scared:

Yeah just out of curiosity I did a search for Bieber internet chat group forum. One of them was hacked with a #cutforBieber...to make him quit smoking weed :laughing guy:

:scared: These :scared: forums :scared: exist :scared: ! :scared:

< Mara grimaces, shakes, twitches and finally doubles over vomiting uncontrollably >

I kind of figured they were out there, but like thoughts of your parents having sex, it's one of those images best not dwelt upon.

Yeah just out of curiosity I did a search for Bieber internet chat group forum. One of them was hacked with a #cutforBieber...to make him quit smoking weed :laughing guy:

< Mara grimaces, shakes, twitches and finally doubles over vomiting uncontrollably >

I kind of figured they were out there, but like thoughts of your parents having sex, it's one of those images best not dwelt upon.

#momsndadshavingsex4Bieber #pukeforBieber #BieberBeaver #IchbineinBieber

For me, I've been around Rush forums for over ten years (starting with geddylee.net around 2000) and have discussed just about everything "Rush". It gets too repetitive after awhile, so I don't post in this section very often.

This is how I am. I love Rush, but how much can you talk about it? I do find SOCN an interesting place to visit and maybe that's because Rush fans are so smart. :)

For me, I've been around Rush forums for over ten years (starting with geddylee.net around 2000) and have discussed just about everything "Rush". It gets too repetitive after awhile, so I don't post in this section very often.

This is how I am. I love Rush, but how much can you talk about it? I do find SOCN an interesting place to visit and maybe that's because Rush fans are so smart. :)

:LOL:

#momsndadshavingsex4Bieber #pukeforBieber #BieberBeaver #IchbineinBieber

:scared: :o :scared: Halllllllllpppp!! :scared: :o :scared:

• Like 1

It seems that TRF has lessened it's degree for Rush over the ages. Maybe it is just me, but does anyone ever think of this? When I go to TRF now, I don't bother with half of the forum because I just lost interest in Rush over the ages. Even now, while I'm listening to The Camera Eye, I used to get this brilliant vibe when I listen to them. Not anymore, but anyway, is TRF a social forum or a RUSH forum? It seems that everyone goes to either the Random Samples or the Music Of The Spheres to talk...I do the same so I can't complain LOL. When I first joined the forum when I was 12, I joined because this was the place to talk with fellow Rush fans. Now, I go and talk to Mr.IsNot, Tommy Sawyer and Adace because we all enjoy the same music. I haven't seen Metaldad, JohnnyBlaze, danielmclark, or Pags in a whole lot of time! I miss the old arguments of "what era of Rush is better" and Rush Goober's famous "VAPOR TRAILZ RULES" quotes. Also, call me crazy, but Cosy Toes was part of the whole TRF Experience. Heck, I wonder what TRF was like when it started in 2004.

I really don't have any idea what you're talking about...I just joined a little over a year ago, but only posting regularly over the past six weeks or so, something like that. All a matter of perspective, I guess, but I see a lot of people who are having a good time here, and talking plenty about Rush, too. They're certainly the most important band in my lifetime.

And hey, you're too young to be nostalgic about anything! :P

Edited by Blue J

I came here in August 2004 because of Rush, I stayed because of the people, I learned from here and other Rush forums, "Rush fans are the highest caliber people to relate to". TRF has the crème de la crème Rush fans of all forums . So I keep coming back here.
  • Like 1

What do you want, Nate? 24/7 fanboi slobbering over the band?

Have you considered the possibility that Rush fans are, in general, older and wiser? With age and experience comes wisdom and clarity......and the need to go gaga over the band like a hormone-driven teenager is no longer a priority.

Have you considered the possibility that many or most fans here no longer need to debate and argue over which era is better, which album is better, etc.? It's been regurgitated a billion times.

People change. They grow older and wiser, and they move on. You can either hop on the train or stay where you are. :) :) :)

I'm 17 and even I'm a bit tired of trying to prove that grace under pressure is better than signals, even though it is ;)

And I miss Cosy Toes. His troll posts were funny and he also made worthwhile contributions in MOTS.

What happened to Cosy Toes? I remember reading his posts before I joined, but he hasn't been around in a long time. Did he do something heinous that I missed and get banned? :huh:

He got banned. I don't remember why, but he probably went over the line with his posts. I know he's had many other accounts that he got banned from, but I don't think he ever came back.

He was a funny guy. He got a suspension and really never came back when it ended. I think he still reads the forum. I must confess that I was one of those that picked at him a bit and may have led to his deciding not to to stick around. I apologize if he is reading.