True Or False? "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" Is The Last EPIC IRON MAIDEN ALBUM!

RUSHHEAD666

"Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" Of A Bitch RULES!  

20 members have voted

1. 1. True Or False? "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" Is The Last Epic Iron Maiden Album In Their Musical Canon?

• True!! HELL YES! EPIC ALBUM!!!
    • False! HELL NO!!! I LOVE THE BLAZE STUFF MORE!
    • "No Prayer For The Dying" And "Afraid Of The Dark" Are Better Albums!
    • All Of the Albums That Were Made When Bruce Came Back To Maiden Are Better!
    • All Of The Bruce Dickinson Maiden Albums Are Overrated! Give Me "IRON MAIDEN!"

For me "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" is the last EPIC Iron Maiden album.

Would you agree with me Maidenheads or would you disagree?

I'm blasting this album yet again and it never gets old. It's so METAL. It's so MELODIC. It's so PROGRESSIVE!

For me it's a perfect album.

No wonder they toured last summer with a "Seventh Son" setlist!

They are also releasing a MAIDEN ENGLAND 1988 double cd!!!!!!!

"Killers" will always be my favorite Maiden record.

Second place is "Piece Of Mind."

Third is "Seventh Son."

"Somewhere In Time" would be next.

• Like 2

To be honest, I´m one of the few Maiden fans who liked No Prayer for the Dying as well, and think they somewhat lost the magic after that. But 7th Son is the last truly epic Maiden album. Everything after that is hit and miss. To this day I´m still not certain if they actually lost the magic after 7th Son or if I grew up to like other kinds of bands - I was a full on Maiden fan from 85 to 91, and when Fear of the Dark came out I thought "oh-oh, something´s not right...".
  • Like 1

To be honest, I´m one of the few Maiden fans who liked No Prayer for the Dying as well, and think they somewhat lost the magic after that. But 7th Son is the last truly epic Maiden album. Everything after that is hit and miss. To this day I´m still not certain if they actually lost the magic after 7th Son or if I grew up to like other kinds of bands - I was a full on Maiden fan from 85 to 91, and when Fear of the Dark came out I thought "oh-oh, something´s not right...".

:haz:

I agree!!

:goodone:

No Prayer for the Dying is a solid album! :haz: :guitar: :NP:

Seventh Son is probably their most epic album, but not their last epic album. Brave New World is almost equal to it imo.

And about No Prayer for the Dying, it would have been better if Bruce hadn't changed his vocal style. It just makes it a lot harder to connect with it which is why it's one of my least favorite/least played Maiden albums. Still some decent songs on it though.

It's become a bit of a cliche around here to bash Janick Gers, but I like No Prayer for the Dying, except for every time he plays a guitar solo. What does he think he's doing? Just play a damn solo, man. It's alright every now and then to play a weird-screachy-noise-thing instead of a solo (to be artsy, or something), but he does that pretty much on every song on here.

I'm pretty much convinced that Murray recorded all the guitar parts before Janick joined, then he just added his solos on afterwards.

But back to the topic. Seventh Son was the last of a mighty run of 7 flawless albums. I love what they've done since Bruce and Adrian returned, but it doesn't really touch this period.

I think some of the latter albums stand up very well in terms of epicness. Not as stellar as Seventh Son, but quite epic nonetheless. A Matter of Life & Death in particular.

Yup, A Matter of Life & Death is my favorite album they've done since Bruce and Adrian came back.

I voted true. It's not that everything after 7th Son was sub-par, it's just that 7th Son was the end of an era and they never really recaptured that era. Every band has an end to their great era and then try to recreate the magic years later and 99% just never quite make it happen again.

I voted true. It's not that everything after 7th Son was sub-par, it's just that 7th Son was the end of an era and they never really recaptured that era. Every band has an end to their great era and then try to recreate the magic years later and 99% just never quite make it happen again.

I share the same opinion. I equally love both eras of Maiden (with a few exceptions of the Blaze era) but I think with Brave New World onwards, those albums have a different aura to it, definitely different than the first seven albums. While I wouldn't consider it full on prog-metal, the current era of Maiden IMO, definitely has a lot of prog-metal qualities to them. I can argue that Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son had prog qualities to them, but I think it's more subtle than say A Matter of Life and Death.

It seems 'Epic' and 'Classic' are being used synonymously in this thread. Kinda confusing. Several of Maiden's albums since 7SOA7S have been epic in scope. Epic, meaning 'large, lots of depth, timeless, a continuity... But yes, 7SOA7S is their last classic masterpiece. I love the last album, and the three before it are great to very good. I love all the props NPFTD is getting on this thread. I've always considered it an underappreciated album—its way better than FOTD.

1. The Number Of The Beast

2. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

3. Piece Of Mind

4. Powerslave

5. Killers

6. Iron Maiden

7. Somewhere In Time

8. Brave New World

9. The Final Frontier

10. No Prayer For The Dying

11. Dance Of Death

12. A Matter Of Life and Death

13. Fear Of The Dark

14&15. :smash: :facepalm:

Seventh Son is my favorite Maiden album but it wasn't their last epic one. I think Brave New World, A Matter Of Life And Death and The Final Fronteir are all epic albums as well. Dance Of Death is a good album but except for the title track and the awesome Paschendale you don't get an epic feel from that album.

Since BNW, Maiden is more of a progressive metal band and I think that has really helped in making the newer material just as epic as anything they've done before.

• Like 1

For me 7th son of a 7th son was the last epic Maiden album. Liked No prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark and some of the latter work with Bruce is ok. But epic? Not to my ears. 7th son was the last of a string of epic albums that, to my ears, started with Piece of Mind.
  • Like 1

Seventh Son is my favorite Maiden album but it wasn't their last epic one. I think Brave New World, A Matter Of Life And Death and The Final Fronteir are all epic albums as well. Dance Of Death is a good album but except for the title track and the awesome Paschendale you don't get an epic feel from that album.

Since BNW, Maiden is more of a progressive metal band and I think that has really helped in making the newer material just as epic as anything they've done before.

Mostly this except that Seventh Son... Is one of my favourites...

For me "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" is the last EPIC Iron Maiden album.

Would you agree with me Maidenheads or would you disagree?

I'm blasting this album yet again and it never gets old. It's so METAL. It's so MELODIC. It's so PROGRESSIVE!

For me it's a perfect album.

No wonder they toured last summer with a "Seventh Son" setlist!

They are also releasing a MAIDEN ENGLAND 1988 double cd!!!!!!!

"Killers" will always be my favorite Maiden record.

Second place is "Piece Of Mind."

Third is "Seventh Son."

"Somewhere In Time" would be next.

For me Piece Of Mind gets the vote as the best Maiden album

• Like 1