Is "Dark Side Of The Moon" Really The Greatest Pink Floyd Album Of All Time?

RUSHHEAD666

"Dark Side Of The Moon" Is The Brightest Album Of Pink Floyd's Career?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" Is Their Greatest Album Of All Time!

• Hell Yes!
    • No Way! I have typed in my all time favorite Pink Floyd album below...................

I found a MSFL 24K Gold "Dark Side Of The Moon" cd today for 40 bucks at my local used record store. I already have two but hell I'm insane and addicted to music and the whole audiophile thing.

The cd is made in Japan and of course is pressed in gold. I thought 40 bucks was a good deal. I had to pull the trigger.

I am blasting this album yet again. It never gets old.

That being said do you think "Dark Side Of The Moon" is their best studio album?

I love "The Wall" too. Not sure about this poll question yet.

40 bucks? wow, I could never spend that kinda moola for music, but that is awesome though.

Animals is my fave, followed by WYWH, then Dark Side. Floyd has alot of great stuff though. Love Meddle and about half of The Wall is up there with the rest of their stuff.

The only Floyd album I still blast is Atom Heart Mother side 1. And even that not that often. Far it be from me to say it's their best work. It's just the one I enjoy the most. I have dropped out of the Floyd aesthetics, probably.

That said, probably Dark Side is their best work, objectively.

I found a MSFL 24K Gold "Dark Side Of The Moon" cd today for 40 bucks at my local used record store. I already have two but hell I'm insane and addicted to music and the whole audiophile thing.

The cd is made in Japan and of course is pressed in gold. I thought 40 bucks was a good deal. I had to pull the trigger.

I am blasting this album yet again. It never gets old.

That being said do you think "Dark Side Of The Moon" is their best studio album?

I love "The Wall" too. Not sure about this poll question yet.

As a guess I could probably walk into Tower Records in Osaka's city center and pick up the same cd for anywhere between 3500-4500 yen...it kind of depends though. But anyway, 40 bucks STATESIDE is pretty decent.Oh, Dark Side of the Moon is my favorite PF album. P.S. I think if you spent a week in the record shops out here (there are still tons of them) you'd not only go broke but you'd also cream yourself hourly. Sincerely,Brain Damage(d)

The only Floyd album I still blast is Atom Heart Mother side 1. And even that not that often. Far it be from me to say it's their best work. It's just the one I enjoy the most. I have dropped out of the Floyd aesthetics, probably.

That's interesting. What caused your cessation in Floydian activities?

That's interesting. What caused your cessation in Floydian activities?

A sum of many factors, probably.

I've come to love a little more "punch" in my music. More groove, which I loathed when I was young, but now I'm like "groove, groove, groove!!!". Bands which play more tightly. Floyd sound too sparse for me, today.

Floyd were my first "serious" band, back when I started discovering music. I was a complete blank state, I didn't have elder brothers and my dad didn't like music much so we didn't have a record collection in the house. Around 82 I made the jump from "radio station music" (which was awful in Italy at the time) to records. First was Alan Parsons Project, close second were Pink Floyd. You didn't score much saying "I listen to Alan Parsons" ("Who??" being the usual answer), but saying "I listen to Pink Floyd" was another matter.

I certainly carved a path into my vinyl of Dark Side. I translated the hell out of those lyrics.

Still, it was always hard for me to move along in their catalogue. Wish you were Here, The Wall, Meddle... Gathering dust. Animals, never could get into that.

I had a friend in school who always said "More" is best Floyd album, because for him "the short songs format" brought out the best in them.

Subjectively, this could go on for days.

Animals is my favorite, too. Probably for the same reason that Shine On You Crazy Diamond is (for many) the single best PF song; it's long, awesome, and you're not sick of it from being overplayed.

But objectively, I think it's really hard to argue against DSOTM. It's pretty much a perfect album.

1. Good atmospheric opener.

2. Three or four absolutely monumental hits that still eat the airwaves.

3. Critical acclaim.

4. Public adoration. How long was the album on the Billboard top albums chart? 741 weeks!

5. Fantastic production values.

6. Great use of new technology (tape loops, synths and sequencers).

7. Iconic album art (best rock album cover ever?)

8. Great album closer in Brain Damage/Eclipse.

9. Using a soaring, soulful aria - smack in the center of the album - which surely succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

10. Beautiful sequence and flow, making it a true album experience. Seems like it would be easy to do, never is.

It's very hard to take points from this album on anything. OK, Any Colour You Like isn't a fantastic song, but it serves its purpose well. Sometimes PF had a few too many languid breaks per album. DSOTM tightens those into two well-placed ones.

Without the towering achievement of DSOTM, I don't think Pink Floyd would have been "allowed" into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, though they had clearly earned it. Even so, it took until 1996 for the RRHoF election committee dunderheads to acquiesce. Then, we had to wait 14 years for another prog/art band to get in (Genesis in 2010).

• Like 2

'Animals' is pure genius. Dogs is my fav Floyd tune at the moment
  • Like 1

I like Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, and Momentary Lapse Of Reason better than Dark Side. Never been a big Dark Side fan, relative to the rest of their catalog.

Hmmm .... My problem with "Dark Side" is .... songwriting.

Apart from "Us And Them" and (even more so) "Time", I can'T find much compelling stuff on it. (And yes, I hate "Money").

That said, all albums between "A Saucerful Of Secrets" (early favourite) and "The Wall" are better than "Dark Side" for me, my favourite clearly being "Animals". "Sheep" is one of the best prog tracks ever.

Well... I voted yes because I like the album and it carries certain memories for me. I think it deserves acknowledgement as a masterpiece. But I can rate three other Floyd albums the same way.

Like Moving Pictures, it's their " best " album as far as that signature sound of the band, but it's arguably not their best, if that makes any sense.

While I'd rather listen to Animals, Dark Side is perfect, and a true achievement in the history of popular music.
  • Like 2