After 2 1/2 months, I hate to say it...

rushgoober

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 18 2012, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (balance @ Aug 18 2012, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 18 2012, 01:00 AM)
Just kidding, it still rocks! yes.gif 1022.gif notworthy.gif

http://images.shirts.com/bazinga-with-sheldon-tshirt-logo.jpg

wtf.gif facepalm.gif

Dr Sheldon Cooper..?

Bazingo!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 18 2012, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 18 2012, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (balance @ Aug 18 2012, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 18 2012, 01:00 AM)

wtf.gif facepalm.gif

Dr Sheldon Cooper..?

Bazingo!

Huzzah!

I am still loving the new album 2 months out...however now that the glee and blinders of the "OMG new album" phase has passed I on each listen become more and more dissapointed in how bad the album sounds from a production standpoint....despite how much I enjoy the songs themselves... It's not Vapor Trails bad, but still pretty apparent that the mix outright sucks. Most abundantly on "The Anarchist" it is hard to isolate any one sound. I really dont understand this either? S&A had its issues, but sound quality was not one. How CA got out of the gates sounding so muddy is beyond me.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 20 2012, 07:56 AM)
I am still loving the new album 2 months out...however now that the glee and blinders of the "OMG new album" phase has passed I on each listen become more and more dissapointed in how bad the album sounds from a production standpoint....despite how much I enjoy the songs themselves... It's not Vapor Trails bad, but still pretty apparent that the mix outright sucks. Most abundantly on "The Anarchist" it is hard to isolate any one sound. I really dont understand this either? S&A had its issues, but sound quality was not one. How CA got out of the gates sounding so muddy is beyond me.

goodpost.gif

I've been baffled as well on the sound quality. Still love the album as a whole though. A great effort at this stage of their careers. I don't listen as much as I did when it 1st came out, but I'm sure I'll go back to it eventually.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 18 2012, 02:00 AM)

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/GIFs/29xassy.gif

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Aug 18 2012, 11:51 AM)
The album kicks major ass. Can you think of any other band that has been around this long and can release an album that rocks like this one? Amazing.

ZZ Top, and they have been around longer.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 18 2012, 01:25 AM)
QUOTE (Mika @ Aug 18 2012, 09:10 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 18 2012, 02:09 AM)
Who cares?

About what? The album being good still? About goober pulling our legs? About the album in general?

About what some ageing hippy thinks about a modern Hard Prog album.

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Come to think of it, the few songs on this album I enjoy aren't worth listening to anymore. They don't fare well up against the CoS - GUP albums at all.

If I try to put on this album, I realize there's something better I can be listening to and just switch to that... I call it the Pink Floyd effect biggrin.gif

I have been listening to it non stop in my truck since I got the album, listening for that new sound that I hadn't heard before. I have enjoyed all the songs, and continue to find a new nuance, or a chord or key that wasn't there before. This album has also made it a priority now to complete the upgrade to my sound system.

I find that most of the songs are top of the list. And for me, there is a top of the list where most songs are placed. And then theres the slightly under the top of the list, were a few songs go. I have found the staples - BU2B, Caravan, Headlong Flight, and the Garden, worth listening to over and over.

I also find Wish Them Well fun, especially the first time I heard it, could have sworn he said 'Even though your going to hell", see, listening muliple times helps! Seven Cities is not one of my fav's, but its still well put together. the rest are probably not the best from the album, but each one has a great sound, different production, and just makes the rest of the album a joy to listen to.

So yea, I keep playing over and over, especially so I can get ready for the concert so I can lose my voice singing the right words, and watching my arms fall off air drumming somewhat close to what Lord Neil is doing.

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Aug 20 2012, 07:56 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 20 2012, 07:56 AM)
I am still loving the new album 2 months out...however now that the glee and blinders of the "OMG new album" phase has passed I on each listen become more and more dissapointed in how bad the album sounds from a production standpoint....despite how much I enjoy the songs themselves...  It's not Vapor Trails bad, but still pretty apparent that the mix outright sucks.  Most abundantly on "The Anarchist" it is hard to isolate any one sound.  I really dont understand this either?  S&A had its issues, but sound quality was not one.  How CA got out of the gates sounding so muddy is beyond me.

goodpost.gif

I've been baffled as well on the sound quality. Still love the album as a whole though. A great effort at this stage of their careers. I don't listen as much as I did when it 1st came out, but I'm sure I'll go back to it eventually.

yes, I love the album too and cant wait to experience it live, but honestly i havent been listening that much lately because of the production sad.gif

My iPod is on shuffle and Wish Them Well came on right after something else that sounds great and I couldn't bear to listen. It sounds SO bad it is harder to listen to than VT by a long shot. It is so disappointing because I still want it to be better than it actually is. Not just the production.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 21 2012, 08:13 PM)
My iPod is on shuffle and Wish Them Well came on right after something else that sounds great and I couldn't bear to listen. It sounds SO bad it is harder to listen to than VT by a long shot. It is so disappointing because I still want it to be better than it actually is. Not just the production.

You guys are out of your minds..it sounds fine im guessing you dont like Geddy's bass playing much? It sounds perfectly fine to me and still better than Vapor Trails which I do admit has issues. So glad im not a production stickler and can just enjoy the music! 653.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cool10.gif

Go ahead and listen to something that sounds good then listen and get back to me. I would suggest anything recorded before the 90s.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 22 2012, 06:52 PM)
Go ahead and listen to something that sounds good then listen and get back to me. I would suggest anything recorded before the 90s.

Yeah, there are some problems in the mix throughout CA, especially on the title track. sad.gif Mastering-wise, it's not horribly loud but it does seem to be super compressed. sad.gif The vinyl is better but sadly still not great.

Luckily, the songs more than make up for it. But I do hope we get a Steven Wilson remix at some point. His King Crimson remixes are pretty sweet.

Edited by They Bow Defeated