What aspect of Rush won you over?

Amy Farrah Fowler

I thought that Tom Sawyer and The Trees were good songs when I heard them on Rockband. When I started actually getting into drumming in real life, people told me to check out Neil Peart, so I researched him somewhat but never too seriously. Then one day, I stayed home from school with a cold and Rush in Rio was on TV. They were really good and I was liking it a lot, when suddenly they went into Earthshine, which Geddy said was off of their latest album. I was blown away. How could a band that's been around since the 70's still make such good new music? It was incredible. I bought Hemispheres and 2112 sometime after that. When the documentary came out, I bought that, which is how I was introduced to Far Cry.

The thing I like most about Rush is that there is no decline. I honestly feel like the stuff they are doing now is just as good as the stuff from 30 years ago. Nothing ever really feels "phoned-in". They don't sound tired. Rush from all periods is good. They are simply the best in the world.

• Like 1

QUOTE (barkeep @ Aug 15 2012, 02:43 AM)
The first time I was introduced to Rush was on a gaming forum where the topic was showing this drummer's video on his Roland Electronic drum kit doing some covers, as well as some improvisational solos. Then he linked an audio clip of Spirit of Radio, showing an example of how this band called Rush inspired him to start playing drums.

When I first listened to Spirit of Radio, at first, I was like "wow, this band sounds totally different than most bands I've listened to."

This was 8 years ago, and over time, it was on and off. Then Tom Sawyer was introduced to me 5 years ago, when Rock Band started to become popular. At that point, it started building up, and soon I bought my first Rush album, which was Moving Pictures, back in the summer of 2009.

At that point, it started spreading. I then picked up 2112, then Signals, and then... well, everything else is history. I was hooked! biggrin.gif

My collection of Rush albums are just about complete. The only missing albums are Test For Echo, Vapor Trails, and Snakes & Arrows.

moving pictures 4 songs played on the radio recorded it at the time heard it over and over within a year bought all of the previous albums

A couple years ago I listened to a lot of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and other famous rock and metal music. During this time I heard Rush (Tom Sayer and Limelight) and thought they were just another pretty good classic rock band, but I didn't have any of their albums. I went to my local Best Buy and picked up the two albums they had (2112 and Moving Pictures). I listened to those two albums and got hooked. I couldn't stop listening to them over and over. I had no idea music like this existed; it was rock, but it was incredible. I thought it was far superior to the other music I was listening to at the time. Then I started picking up all their albums one at a time in no particular order and on any format I could get my hands on. Then from Pink Floyd and Rush, I discovered progressive rock and haven't looked back. Now I almost never listen to Zeppelin, Sabbath, and those guys.

I love Rush.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 14 2012, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 14 2012, 09:42 PM)
First time hearing Rush was in a tent (on a Walkman) on a scout camping trip.  Was blown away by the energy, power, and instrumentation.  The album was ATWAS.

That sounds awesome. Those "awakening" moments are unforgettable.

It was indeed very memorable. Especially in the mid-80s when all metal bands were put in the 'devil worship' category. I recall hearing By-Tor for the first time and the lyrics dealt with the 'Tobes Of Hades', 'The River Styx', and 'Retreats to Hell'. I felt an immediate guilt listening to this devil music, but it sure did kick ass and I wasn't about to stop.

Everybody has a song inside of them. Everyone. Rush's music is my music. Even my least favored Rush albums speak to me. They always harmonize and connect to my inner song. And they did it from my first listen to Moving Pictures in Jan '82.

That's the only reason that I've been able to determine why I love, heart.gif , wub.gif , adore Rush. Their music is priceless to me. No other band has ever moved me so.

In addition, their musicianship is exceptional. Solid, rich, meaningful.

Geddy's bass tone, voice, ability to play keyboards - all at once!

Neil's lyrics and drumming - second to none

Alex's guitar voicings and tones are beautiful and terrifying, strong and vulnerable, always perfect.

smile.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Aug 14 2012, 07:35 PM)
Their uniqueness and Geddy's bass playing/sound.

This was definitely a big draw for me. My education in bass had previously drew me to John Entwistle and Chris Squire, so Geddy was a natural. To this day one of my favourite sounds is still that Rickenbaker 4001 sound, all top and bottom with no mids, all warm from the tube amps. smile.gif

I was also very into the prog at the time, so when I discovered albums like AFTK, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures I was hooked. It took me time to appreciate the rest of their catalog, but eventually I found things I liked from every era.

-Jane

2.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 14 2012, 10:28 AM)
When I noticed Rush female fans were the hottest chicks around, I knew I found my band.

Good answer!!

laugh.gif

The uniqueness of their music and lyrics. Back in the late 70's, I had never heard anything remotely like it before.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

A Show Of Hands got me into Rush. I would watch songs from that concert all the time. The one thing that holds me to them is their live presence. They're so "regular" and unique at the same time. Its hard to explain but I'm sure most of you get it. They're not those crazy ass rock stars with insane hair and smashing guitars and stuff. They play so that they play well and correctly and they look like they're just jamming in incredible coordination. Their stage presence will always be their signature and glue that holds me to them.

Funny thing is, I have never been to a concert... yet...

1022.gif

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 14 2012, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 14 2012, 09:42 PM)
First time hearing Rush was in a tent (on a Walkman) on a scout camping trip.  Was blown away by the energy, power, and instrumentation.  The album was ATWAS.

That sounds awesome. Those "awakening" moments are unforgettable.

Nail's ATWAS drum solo got me, and the guitar hooks & solos on the debut.

I has been listening to Rush since I was 9. Thought they were cool and certainly interesting but what really won me over......The Spirit of Radio. That was my hell yea moment. They're 70's prog was interesting, but that was like now we're talking yes.gif

Mick

It was in the late 70s; I heard The Trees on Philly radio and was hooked! Classical guitar followed by RAWK mixed with complex time signatures and some cool lyrics (..and wind chimes...and wood blocks..and damn! a Rickenbacker sounds good!). Who were these guys? Next stop: ATWAS - specifically By-Tor - wwhhhooooaaaa - how does he even make those sounds with one guitar?

...and they've been the soundtrack of my life ever since.

What aspect - I guess it's their Rushiness yes.gif

I first remember seeing the 2112 album on Columbia House record club advertisements as a teen in the 70s. That caught my eye since my childhood house was 2112 First St. (no lie, my sister still lives there). Later in high school I started buying albums as I could afford them and remember seeing the ATWAS album in the store. Since it was a double album, it was kind of expensive for my budget at the time. But I remember thinking "Hmm not sure I'm going to like this album, but damn that stage setup kicks ass so it's gotta rock!". As soon as I heard Bastille Day, I was hooked. Not only the power but the complex musicianship in the album (who the heck changes keys 5 times in the middle of the guitar solo?!?). I had alot of classical music training as a kid, but I was starting to play guitar and explore rock more (because, well classical is just not cool at all) and Rush was the perfect band for me and still is.

I still remember the first time I heard SOR on FM and it blew me away. I had to find this PW CD and didn't know much about them. (age 13). I knew of Tom Soyer so I picked up MP to try out. When I first heard RB it blew me away just like SOR, like it made me feel so alive I couldn't play it loud enough.

The next year I saw them live on VT and they defintely jumped to the tippy top of my all time favourite bands list.

I went out and bought everything. I started listening to 2112 again on my stereo, off the actual CD, and it's like I'm hearing it for the first time again. I was never into it as much as the other pre-signals albums for some reason but 10 years later I finally get it.