Clockwork Angels is the best album ever recorded

deslock

Clockwork Angels is the most brilliantly-rocking Rush album since Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures...and the best written, best executed album since Hold Your Fire.
  • Like 3

Clockwork Angels is the most brilliantly-rocking Rush album since Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures...and the best written, best executed album since Hold Your Fire.

It has it's moments, for sure.

Gave CA a spin yesterday after leaving it alone for awhile.It has some great tracks and some fantastic playing,but just find it a bit too over produced and too much of a good thing(over the top,bombastic,which I like).After it I had to play something mellow and less demanding.Perhaps I am getting old but those Rush guys are older than me.PS.Still really can't make total sense of the story line.

I suspect CA rankings (and the rest of the catalog) are strongly correlated to the age of the Rush fan.

I'm 47 and would rank CA somewhere in the middle or a bit lower in their catalog. I'm sure younger fans will rate CA and S&A far higher than I would. And many fans older than myself think any 80's and beyond albums (that is, Permanent Waves on) show Rush past their prime.

• Like 2

CA is a Top Ten Rush album. I think the weakest tracks are BU2B2 (not really a song), Halo Effect, and Wish Them Well. Everything else kills.

But as for ranking newer albums vs. older albums, I think SnA is one of their worst albums. And I think VT is somewhere in between those two albums. I try to be unbiased with Rush but it is difficult.

• Like 1

CA was far away my favorite from 2012. Now that I think of it I can't remember anything else that came out in 2012 that I still love like I do CA...

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth was better than expected, but still nowhere near as good as anything before Hagar. It just didn't suck.

Muse - 2nd Law is complete and utter garbage, the worst thing they ever recorded.

Lindsey Stirling's debut was a total surprise. That girl can really shred that violin.

Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day was an awesome live album. Holy shit.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

CA was far away my favorite from 2012. Now that I think of it I can't remember anything else that came out in 2012 that I still love like I do CA...

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth was better than expected, but still nowhere near as good as anything before Hagar. It just didn't suck.

Muse - 2nd Law is complete and utter garbage, the worst thing they ever recorded.

Lindsey Stirling's debut was a total surprise. That girl can really shred that violin.

Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day was an awesome live album. Holy shit.

2012 was when I first started buying music. The only 2012 albums I really got around the time they came out were CA, Muse's The 2nd Law, and Mumford and Sons' Babel. I love all of them to death, even if many better albums were released that year by other artists, even though T2L is easily my least favorite Muse album (a few epic highs, too many snoozy lows)

Prompted by the praise its getting here, I popped the album on the other day. Couldn't get past the 3rd song/title track. Ranks at the bottom for me - only album Id put this ahead of is Vapor Trails. Edited by greg2112
  • Like 1

Prompted by the praise its getting here, I popped the album on the other day. Couldn't get past the 3rd song/title track. Ranks at the bottom for me - only album Id put this ahead of is Vapor Trails.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

In terms of being an album that can induce listening fatigue, I think I agree. Material-wise, no.

Prompted by the praise its getting here, I popped the album on the other day. Couldn't get past the 3rd song/title track. Ranks at the bottom for me - only album Id put this ahead of is Vapor Trails.

In terms of being an album that can induce listening fatigue, I think I agree. Material-wise, no.

To each his own, carry on.

Four years after the release, I think it´s a good album, the best they could have done this far ahead in their careers, and a good swan song if it´s their last studio effort. But it´s not among their best algums imo. Not even close.
  • Like 2

Four years after the release, I think it´s a good album, the best they could have done this far ahead in their careers, and a good swan song if it´s their last studio effort. But it´s not among their best algums imo. Not even close.

Two good posts.

For myself, CA didn't stand the test of time. A few good songs on the album. Other than that, nothing memorable, and a far cry from their best album, and eons away from the best album ever recorded.

• Like 2

To each his own, carry on.

Not sure whether to have 2112's Soliloquy or that Kansas classic running through my head right now...
  • Like 2