Does CA make the Top 10 Rush albums EVER?

DBJetsman

Where does CA rank in the Top 10 Rush albums EVER?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Where does CA rank in the Top 10 Rush albums EVER?

• 1-3
    • 4-7
    • 8-10
    • DOESN'T MAKE THE TOP 10

4-7

CA is at number 5......only 4 albums beat it....MP, PeW, Hem, Signals....

Right behind CA are PW, HYF, GUP, Presto.....all tied for sixth

CP, 2112, AFTK at 7 tied

...then the rest

biggrin.gif

CA def one of my favs and that isnt ever going to change.

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jul 17 2012, 02:41 AM)
9 or 10

This is where I am. I've been re-working my Rush album ranking list. I have #1-4 and #11-19 pretty well figured out, but those albums in the middle from #5-#10 keep moving around - slippery little suckers! Anyway, right now I'm deliberating whether CA gets a #9 or a #10, but that's where it lies for me as of now, and that's really a pretty great ranking IMHO consider the albums I have listed above it.

Its gotta stand the test of time, and I believe it will. Unless they release a better album than CA, its unlikely it will ever drop from my top 10, but I don't know if it will climb much higher either.

1. Moving Pictures

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. Permanent Waves

5. A Farewell To Kings

6. Grace Under Pressure

7. Power Windows

8. Fly By Night

9. Signals

10. Clockwork Angels

11. Vapor Trails

Clockwork Angels bows to no other album. It is the equal to the best Rush has ever produced. It is a distillation of greatness. This is 2012 and the band has produced another timeless piece of musical treasure.

2.gif

Too early for me to tell if it cracks my top ten. But, then, I hate ranking albums anyway. What I am most likely to put in the CD player for the whole album differs from what I might choose to favorite songs from. (I think Permanent Waves may be one of the most perfect albums of all time, but if I only got to have one on an island, I'd take Hemispheres just for LVS.)

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

Signals

Rush

Moving Pictures

A Farewell To Kings

Presto

Caress of Steel

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Clockwork Angels

- the last four probably get juggled the most. In 5 years, I can see CA potentially moving its way up.

CA is definitely my favorite from the last 20 years, which is pretty impressive for how long Rush has been together.

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jul 17 2012, 01:16 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 16 2012, 09:00 PM)

Maybe better than RTB,

No maybe's about it... Wayyyy better then RTB by a long shot. yes.gif

trink39.gif

I'm with you. But then, I put RTB at the very very bottom.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 17 2012, 08:16 AM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jul 17 2012, 02:41 AM)
9 or 10

This is where I am. I've been re-working my Rush album ranking list. I have #1-4 and #11-19 pretty well figured out, but those albums in the middle from #5-#10 keep moving around - slippery little suckers! Anyway, right now I'm deliberating whether CA gets a #9 or a #10, but that's where it lies for me as of now, and that's really a pretty great ranking IMHO consider the albums I have listed above it.

Yeah, anything in the ballpark of top ten is pretty remarkable. trink39.gif

For me it's not quite there yet, but in the fullness of time it may just crack my top ten. But my top eight (the Lee/Lifeson/Peart/Brown albums) are pretty unassailable. tongue.gif

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

A Farewell To Kings

Signals

Caress of Steel

Fly By Night

Power Windows

Grace Under Pressure

Clockwork Angels (11)

Hold Your Fire

Counterparts

Rush

Presto

Snakes And Arrows

Vapor Trails

Roll The Bones

Test For Echo

Edited by They Bow Defeated

I'm glad to see Grace Under Pressure being listed in people's Top 10. It may be Alex's second best record. He was absolutely fantastic on it. Alex's top work was on Hemispheres.

It would be nice to hear him play an acoustic nylon string (Spanish guitar) guitar again. He's very good at it.

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

Moving Pictures

A Farewell To Kings

Signals

Power Windows

Grace Under Pressure

Caress of Steel

Presto

Not even close...

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Jul 16 2012, 09:33 PM)
1. Permanent Waves
2. Power Windows
3. Moving Pictures
4. Caress of Steel
5. Hold your Fire
6. Presto
7. Signals
8. Snakes and Arrows
9. Roll the Bones
10. Hemispheres (Only on the strength of side 2

that's the list I posted in another thread. CA is pretty.....ok....that's all. certainly better Then Counterparts, T43 and VT

Mick

You rank Snakes and Arrows and Roll the Bones higher than Hemispheres? Wow, that's an interesting perspective.

Clockwork Angels is definitely in my Rush Top 10, but I can't say exactly where because I find it so difficult to compare outstanding to amazing to incredible to magnificent to brilliant etc., as you must do when comparing the top 10 Rush albums. The closest I can come is three lists, each presented here chronologically:

Listen to most often:

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes And Arrows

Clockwork Angels

Listen to a lot:

Fly By Night

Moving Pictures

Signals

Vapour Trails

Don't listen to very often:

Everything else

The albums on the "don't listen to very often" list are albums that I'm somewhat less familiar with because they didn't really compel me when I acquired them during my first journey of discovery through Rush's catalogue. They all have at least a song or two on them that I like, and lately I've been thinking about revisiting them to see whether I feel differently about them now, or whether I may have overlooked any songs that I might fall in love with.

I'm shocked at how many people put HYF in the top 10. My guess is that HYF may have been the CD that got those listeners to become new fans.

It is easily my least favorite Rush CD. Roll The bones would be the next least favorite. Don't get me wrong, there are a handful of songs from those CD's that I like but for the most part..... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'd keep:

Force 10

Time Stand Still

Prime Mover

High Water

Tai Shan

Bravado

Roll The Bones

Where's my thing ?

Ghost of a Chance

QUOTE (anchorman @ Jul 17 2012, 02:01 PM)
I'm shocked at how many people put HYF in the top 10. My guess is that HYF may have been the CD that got those listeners to become new fans.

It is easily my least favorite Rush CD. Roll The bones would be the next least favorite. Don't get me wrong, there are a handful of songs from those CD's that I like but for the most part..... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'd keep:

Force 10
Time Stand Still
Prime Mover
High Water
Tai Shan

Bravado
Roll The Bones
Where's my thing ?
Ghost of a Chance

Not the case for me. I've been a fan since 1978.

But I just really like HYF. To be honest, I hated it when it came out and it took me a couple of years to appreciate.