BU2B2

snowdogged

I actually love how trippy this little abbreviation of a song is and think it really is a big part of making this album feel like a concept album. All I've read are people putting it down. Does anyone else like BU2B2?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't think of it as a "song" so much, but it is an important piece of the puzzle that is CA for sure. I wouldn't ever put it on in isolation, though.

Here's what I said about it in a recent thread:

To me the lyrics of BU2B2 are crucial to the overall tone of the album and sets up for WTW perfectly.

The whole idea of looking back on a misleading, false faith that was sold to him and saying regardless he still chooses life- this is a HUGE moment.

For me it's really personally relevant: I just went through the biggest struggle of my life, and in order to survive I had to oppose the teaching and views of the religious leadership I trusted for years. I did not renounce my faith, but I did have to walk away from my church and most of my friends- it was hard and painful, but in the end I had to choose life.

This album just gets to me because I feel like the entire thing is a metaphore for that experience, and BU2B2 is that moment I was laying on my bed, hardly able to move because I was too broken and emotionally shattered. And I said "I'm done,- this isn't working. I choose life". That moment set up the drive to get up, get in gear, wish them well, and move on.

The thing is, I don't see BU2B2 as that dark- I see it as the emerging out of pain.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jul 12 2012, 06:40 AM)
Well, I don't think of it as a "song" so much, but it is an important piece of the puzzle that is CA for sure. I wouldn't ever put it on in isolation, though.

Here's what I said about it in a recent thread:

To me the lyrics of BU2B2 are crucial to the overall tone of the album and sets up for WTW perfectly.

The whole idea of looking back on a misleading, false faith that was sold to him and saying regardless he still chooses life- this is a HUGE moment.

For me it's really personally relevant: I just went through the biggest struggle of my life, and in order to survive I had to oppose the teaching and views of the religious leadership I trusted for years. I did not renounce my faith, but I did have to walk away from my church and most of my friends- it was hard and painful, but in the end I had to choose life.

This album just gets to me because I feel like the entire thing is a metaphore for that experience, and BU2B2 is that moment I was laying on my bed, hardly able to move because I was too broken and emotionally shattered. And I said "I'm done,- this isn't working. I choose life". That moment set up the drive to get up, get in gear, wish them well, and move on.

The thing is, I don't see BU2B2 as that dark- I see it as the emerging out of pain.

goodpost.gif

It's borderline mindblowing how so many people not only consider BU2B2 a "song," but some great, deep work of genius at that. When put it on, I hear a couple of strings fade in, Geddy croon some nonsense that Neil has written about way more eloquently dozens of times before (and with a corny ABAB rhyme scheme at that), and then some strings fade out. Edited by NYM86

The only way the song works in the concept to me is if was put one song back, between The Wreckers and Headlong First. Where it's placed now, it unnecessarily drags the story down. The lyrics are a real bummer.

Ideally, this "song" would have just been liner notes between The Wreckers and Headlong Flight and not put out as a song. It's the one weak spot in an otherwise immensely strong album. Thankfully it's only 90 seconds and over with soon enough... there's also the skip button available...

It gets no respect because it doesn't honestly deserve any. It's an interlude on a concept album and it's nothing more than that. Anyone who's heard concept albums in the past has heard things done like this before. Yes, it ties into the story but as far as concept album interludes go, there have been others done before and in a much better way.

Like goober said, it's also oddly placed on the album and it should be after The Wreckers. Instead it's placed after the fun and powerful Headlong Flight and it just doesn't work there. The character seems to be in a positive frame of mind on HF and BU2B2 just doesn't fit after it. It does fit after the sad events in The Wreckers though.

EDIT: Whoops! Thought it said BU2B haha. Edited by Del_Duio

I like BU2B2. But, I do agree with some other posts that it probably would have worked better after The Wreckers. To me, it does not need to be listed as a "track" on the album. It seems like maybe they wanted it to count as a track so there would be 12 songs on the album. (like on a clock) And, Geddy has said they wanted stand alone songs anyway.

That said, a suite containing The Wreckers / BU2B2 / Headlong Flight might have worked...quite well, actually. Wreckers fades out right in to the strings on BU2B2 uninterrupted. Then, again with no interruption, BU2B2 ends with an extended low bass note which mixes in to that atmospheric opening of HF right in to Geddy's opening bass riff.

I see a lot in this thread to agree to, yet can't quote all of you. laugh.gif

Agree with Goobs and J2112YYZ that it fits better thematically after "Wreckers" rather than after "Headlong Flight." Switch BU2B2 with HF in the order, and it all makes sense.

Agree that I would never choose to play it "in isolation," (or "on its own") but that it's a crucial part of the STORY. The character, Owen Hardy, needs to sink to the low point of "BU2B2" before the positive finish of the last two songs (or THREE, if we put "Headlong Flight" AFTER it). Without the low of "BU2B2," there's no carthasis, and "Wish Them Well" and "The Garden" have at least some of their power taken away. That would be a bad thing.

Agree that it's not so much a song as an interlude, and thankfully only 90 seconds. Don't like it? Hey, at least it's over quickly. Me, I listen to it whenever I'm playing the FULL story/album. As I said, it's a necessary part of the story, helps give WTW and Garden their power, and is over quickly.

Misplaced or not, for me it has its own melancholic, perfectly growing mood, which leads straight into WTW. I love it, the way it is.

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jul 12 2012, 11:11 AM)
Misplaced or not, for me it has its own melancholic, perfectly growing mood, which leads straight into WTW. I love it, the way it is.

Right on Grey! This german nails the point like Dirk Nowitski nails 3 pointers!!!

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 12 2012, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jul 12 2012, 11:11 AM)

Right on Grey! This german nails the point like Dirk Nowitski nails 3 pointers!!!

goodpost.gif

Thanks man. I'm just tryin' to show my love for this brilliant album.

F'IN LOVE THIS SONG!! now more than ever,then time machine live version..love the lyrics,love the heavy guitar,love geds voice on it.

love the trippy intro, love the drums,that crashing cymbal neil

does gets me everytime!! love at the very end "loves us all to death"

the way geds voice has lower octave,doubled.the only thing that could

make this song any better,imo is a longer guitar solo. 2.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 12 2012, 06:20 AM)
I actually love how trippy this little abbreviation of a song is and think it really is a big part of making this album feel like a concept album. All I've read are people putting it down. Does anyone else like BU2B2?

♥

QUOTE (MJH @ Jul 12 2012, 02:01 PM)
F'IN LOVE THIS SONG!! now more than ever,then time machine live version..love the lyrics,love the heavy guitar,love geds voice on it.
love the trippy intro, love the drums,that crashing cymbal neil
does gets me everytime!! love at the very end "loves us all to death"
the way geds voice has lower octave,doubled.the only thing that could
make this song any better,imo is a longer guitar solo. 2.gif

There's a Time Machine live version of BU2B2??

It does have a slight out of place feeling coming after HF, but fits in real well right before WTW, so eh.. HF had to go somewhere. And that's how the story goes. smile.gif

Ged does not have the voice for something like this and to be honest , it's a waste of space on the album

As a stand-alone song, no. As part of the narrative it fits in very nicely, TYVM. And Ged's vocal on it is great.

Don't like it? Skip it. Jeez.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 12 2012, 08:30 PM)
As a stand-alone song, no. As part of the narrative it fits in very nicely, TYVM. And Ged's vocal on it is great.

Don't like it? Skip it. Jeez.

You can skip anything on any Rush album. Doesn't change the fact that it's there and that people have every right to comment on it.

Edited by NYM86

I would agree with the OP. BU2B2 reminds me of the little tracks on The Wall...Vera, Bring The Boys Back Home, The Show Must Go On, Stop and so on. it connects the song before to the song that follows. And Geddy's delivery is absolutely excellent.