BU2B2

snowdogged

This song, interlude, whatever, is an easy target because it's weird.

It's brooding, fits the mood of the lyric perfectly, Ged sounds defeated, as he should in context of the story, and the strings tie it all together.

Nothing more, nothing less.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 12 2012, 06:33 AM)
It's borderline mindblowing how so many people not only consider BU2B2 a "song," but some great, deep work of genius at that. When put it on, I hear a couple of strings fade in, Geddy croon some nonsense that Neil has written about way more eloquently dozens of times before (and with a corny ABAB rhyme scheme at that), and then some strings fade out.

Uhm, so - after you go splash some cold water on your face, come back and someone here will explain to you that this is a concept album

Mindblowing indeed

unsure.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 12 2012, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 12 2012, 06:33 AM)
It's borderline mindblowing how so many people not only consider BU2B2 a "song," but some great, deep work of genius at that. When put it on, I hear a couple of strings fade in, Geddy croon some nonsense that Neil has written about way more eloquently dozens of times before (and with a corny ABAB rhyme scheme at that), and then some strings fade out.

Uhm, so - after you go splash some cold water on your face, come back and someone here will explain to you that this is a concept album

Mindblowing indeed

unsure.gif

?

I know it's a concept album. That doesn't change 1) the fact that BU2B is an interlude and not a song, and 2) my opinion that it's not a particularly good interlude as far as concept albums go.

Its not really a song as far as I'm conerned, its a transition that keeps the story moving.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 12 2012, 01:20 AM)
I actually love how trippy this little abbreviation of a song is and think it really is a big part of making this album feel like a concept album. All I've read are people putting it down. Does anyone else like BU2B2?

I think BU2B2 is brilliant and essential to the narrative. It gets little love here and I think undeservedly so.

The one thing I note about the song (and it *is* a song, imo) is it is very monochromatic. Where the rest of the album has has vivid colour and texture, BU2B2 is very black and white sounding. Geddy's delivery is small and contained, the band is virtually non-existent. It is the hinge, without which, the rest of the album unravels.

Perhaps that is why the song is causing such passionate reactions. People don't know what to do with black and white Rush? We're used to Rush in full colour.

Just speculating....

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 14 2012, 06:18 AM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 12 2012, 01:20 AM)
I actually love how trippy this little abbreviation of a song is and think it really is a big part of making this album feel like a concept album. All I've read are people putting it down. Does anyone else like BU2B2?

I think BU2B2 is brilliant and essential to the narrative. It gets little love here and I think undeservedly so.

The one thing I note about the song (and it *is* a song, imo) is it is very monochromatic. Where the rest of the album has has vivid colour and texture, BU2B2 is very black and white sounding. Geddy's delivery is small and contained, the band is virtually non-existent. It is the hinge, without which, the rest of the album unravels.

Perhaps that is why the song is causing such passionate reactions. People don't know what to do with black and white Rush? We're used to Rush in full colour.

Just speculating....

I don't care about the fact that it's not dynamic musically. I care about the flow of the concept, and lyrically and thematically it's a real bummer and it seriously brings the theme down completely unnecessarily after the hugely positive Headlong Flight.

Like I said, stick it between The Wreckers and Headlong Flight and suddenly it makes sense. Otherwise it doesn't. Even if it was placed properly, it's the one "song" that doesn't work on its own at all. That's my least favorite aspect of concept albums - songs that only serve to fit the story and out of context fall apart.

I like what some people have said about seeing it as an intro to Wish Them Well, as it kind of almost works if you look at it that way, but even still the song is pretty damn bleak.

Some see BU2B2 as positive because of some of the words, but I can't see it that way. Neil has a history of writing lyrics like this - he heaps on the negativity, doubt, depression and despair, and then adds some conditional, strained positivity that he's reaching towards at the end as if that's supposed to make up for what came before. I never liked that at all, and I like it even less with BU2B2:

Negative:

I don't believe in destiny

or the guiding hand of fate

I don't believe in forever

or love as a mystical state

I don't believe in the stars or the planets

or angels watching from above

Barely Positive:

But I believe there's a ghost of a chance

we can find someone to love

and make it last

Negative:

I don't have faith in faith

I don't believe in belief

You can call me faithless

Barely Positive:

I still cling to hope

And I believe in love

And that's faith enough for me

And worst of all:

Negative:

I was brought up to believe

Belief has failed me now

The bright glow of optimism

Abandoned me somehow

Belief has failed me now

Life goes from bad to worse

No philosophy consoles me

In a clockwork universe

Barely positive:

I still choose to live

Find a measure of love and laughter

And another measure to give

I still choose to live

And give, even while I grieve

Though the balance tilts against me

It's kind of an attitude of life sucks and then you die, but I'm going to try and make the best of it anyway with a ghost of a chance of success, clinging to hope and finding a measure of positivity even though the deck is stacked against me. Sorry, don't like it and never did... no.gif

I disagree that it is barely positive- choosing life over misplaced belief is a huge decision, and a transition many people don't make. Without the change in BU2B2 there is no Garden or Wish Them Well. Even the positive looking back in Headlong Flight is not the same thing as choosing to move forward in a positive way, unhindered by the chains of a hurtful, incorrect belief.

I dare say BU2B2 is the emotional center of the album with the songs preceding it telling us of his "old life" enslaved to false belief (except for Headlong Flight, which is a positive reflection on a painful adventure), and the songs after it telling us the changes that come from this enlightenment.

I don't care that it doesn't stand alone as a song because it's pretty short and the rest of the songs on the album do a fantastic job of standing one their own, but I can see why that irritates you.

I love it for what it is, a little musical narrative inbetween songs. Weird some people on here act like they never heard of such thing.(Pink Floyd-Roger Waters era, Lou Reed I know that makes some people cringe but he does this often.) I do understand and agree with goober, GR about the placement is awkward, but perhaps Owen Hardy is" A manic depressive he walks in the rain" wink.gif And like Neil explained in the CA fan pack magazine about the lyrics to headlong flight, If your a depressed person even day can be dark. Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jul 14 2012, 07:47 AM)
I disagree that it is barely positive- choosing life over misplaced belief is a huge decision, and a transition many people don't make.

You make it sound a bit more simplistic than it actually is. It's more than just going from misplaced belief to choosing life. What he was brought up to believe was "all is for the best." And his realization after denying that belief is "life goes from bad to worse." And then he's choosing life after that realization, but saying he's finding a "measure" of love and laughter and another "measure" to give still sounds bleak - like he's saying life sucks, but maybe i can still find SOME love, laughter and giving while grieving and while the balance tilts against him. Sounds like grasping at straws to me. But then again, Ghost of a Chance and Faithless also sound like that to me. I just don't see how saying life sucks and is hard but I'm going to hope and try anyway and maybe if I'm really lucky I'll get something good. That's how it reads to me.

Without the change in BU2B2 there is no Garden or Wish Them Well. Even the positive looking back in Headlong Flight is not the same thing as choosing to move forward in a positive way, unhindered by the chains of a hurtful, incorrect belief.

Admittedly he does turn it around with Wish Them Well and The Garden, but I don't see BU2B2 as moving forward in a positive way. It sounds like begrudgingly trying to make things work. Yes, working to overcome tragedy and hardship is admirable, but the song is still super depressing, especially after the very uplifting Headlong Flight. It's an awkward, clunky and unsuccessful transition.

I dare say BU2B2 is the emotional center of the album with the songs preceding it telling us of his "old life" enslaved to false belief (except for Headlong Flight, which is a positive reflection on a painful adventure), and the songs after it telling us the changes that come from this enlightenment.

Even you seem to be making the argument that BU2B2 doesn't fit after Headlong Flight. Stick it after The Wreckers and then we end the album on a positive upswing without it being dragged down after the positivity starts. Then the story arc makes sense.

I don't care that it doesn't stand alone as a song because it's pretty short and the rest of the songs on the album do a fantastic job of standing one their own, but I can see why that irritates you.

If the rest of the album wasn't so damn strong, it probably wouldn't bother me nearly as much. It's just unfortunate that it mars an otherwise near-perfect album.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 14 2012, 09:30 AM)
Some see BU2B2 as positive because of some of the words, but I can't see it that way. Neil has a history of writing lyrics like this - he heaps on the negativity, doubt, depression and despair, and then adds some conditional, strained positivity that he's reaching towards at the end as if that's supposed to make up for what came before. I never liked that at all, and I like it even less with BU2B2:

Negative:

Barely Positive:
and make it last

Negative:

Barely Positive:
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love

And worst of all:

Negative:
Belief has failed me now
Abandoned me somehow

Belief has failed me now
In a clockwork universe

Barely positive:
I still choose to live

I still choose to live

It's kind of an attitude of life sucks and then you die, but I'm going to try and make the best of it anyway with a ghost of a chance of success, clinging to hope and finding a measure of positivity even though the deck is stacked against me. Sorry, don't like it and never did... no.gif

I think that your interpretation of all of those lyrics are the negative thing. Within all of the lyrics you presented I believe that the message is individuality and forming your own beliefs and not conforming to an idealistic that society or parts of society try to push upon you. Just because someone does not believe in a God that no one can prove exists or not does not make them a negative person.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 14 2012, 12:38 PM)
Some see BU2B2 as positive because of some of the words, but I can't see it that way.  Neil has a history of writing lyrics like this - he heaps on the negativity, doubt, depression and despair, and then adds some conditional, strained positivity that he's reaching towards at the end as if that's supposed to make up for what came before.  I never liked that at all, and I like it even less with BU2B2:

Negative:

Barely Positive:
and make it last

Negative:

Barely Positive:
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love

And worst of all:

Negative:
Belief has failed me now
Abandoned me somehow

Belief has failed me now
In a clockwork universe

Barely positive:
I still choose to live

I still choose to live

It's kind of an attitude of life sucks and then you die, but I'm going to try and make the best of it anyway with a ghost of a chance of success, clinging to hope and finding a measure of positivity even though the deck is stacked against me.  Sorry, don't like it and never did... no.gif

I think that your interpretation of all of those lyrics are the negative thing. Within all of the lyrics you presented I believe that the message is individuality and forming your own beliefs and not conforming to an idealistic that society or parts of society try to push upon you. Just because someone does not believe in a God that no one can prove exists or not does not make them a negative person.

I believe Goobs is pretty spot on in his thoughts. but that's just me. atickhum.gif

Negative:

Barely Positive:
and make it last

Negative:

Barely Positive:
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love

And worst of all:

Negative:
Belief has failed me now
Abandoned me somehow

Belief has failed me now
In a clockwork universe

Barely positive:
I still choose to live

I still choose to live

agreed.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 14 2012, 09:38 AM)
Some see BU2B2 as positive because of some of the words, but I can't see it that way.  Neil has a history of writing lyrics like this - he heaps on the negativity, doubt, depression and despair, and then adds some conditional, strained positivity that he's reaching towards at the end as if that's supposed to make up for what came before.  I never liked that at all, and I like it even less with BU2B2:

Negative:

Barely Positive:
and make it last

Negative:

Barely Positive:
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love

And worst of all:

Negative:
Belief has failed me now
Abandoned me somehow

Belief has failed me now
In a clockwork universe

Barely positive:
I still choose to live

I still choose to live

It's kind of an attitude of life sucks and then you die, but I'm going to try and make the best of it anyway with a ghost of a chance of success, clinging to hope and finding a measure of positivity even though the deck is stacked against me.  Sorry, don't like it and never did... no.gif

You added a lot of things in there I didn't say. I'm just saying the way those lyrics look to me that I quoted, it's all pretty bleak and depressing. I completely understand that a lot of people have the exact opposite reaction. I don't get it at all, but you're entitled.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 14 2012, 11:38 AM)

Negative:

Barely Positive:
and make it last

Negative:

Barely Positive:
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love

And worst of all:

Negative:
Belief has failed me now
Abandoned me somehow

Belief has failed me now
In a clockwork universe

Barely positive:
I still choose to live

I still choose to live

i guess it's no different than having a liberal professor in college with certain viewspoints and trying to push it on students?