BU2B2

snowdogged

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 14 2012, 01:11 PM)
It's a transitional piece is all.  I'd question the sanity of anyone would said this was their favorite cut on the album.

Why?,

Who are you to judge one's sanity if it's there favorite tune?

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 12 2012, 01:20 AM)
I actually love how trippy this little abbreviation of a song is and think it really is a big part of making this album feel like a concept album. All I've read are people putting it down. Does anyone else like BU2B2?

cool10.gif

Isn't everyone really just upset because the strings come in strong and you're just waiting for Geddy to sing:

I wanna go home

Take off this uniform and leave the show

I'm waiting in this cell because I have to know (have to know)

Have I been guilty all this time...

C'mon, admit it...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 16 2012, 01:52 PM)
Isn't everyone really just upset because the strings come in strong and you're just waiting for Geddy to sing:

I wanna go home

C'mon, admit it...

laugh.gif

spock...very logical and an excellent metaphor.

It's a hinge, just like "Stop". Remove it and the record falls in two. Move it and its still connected, but it bends unnaturally.

Poor BU2B2, getting much love from so very few (it would seem) ....

hug2.gif BU2B2 hug2.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 12 2012, 02:15 PM)
It gets no respect because it doesn't honestly deserve any. It's an interlude on a concept album and it's nothing more than that. Anyone who's heard concept albums in the past has heard things done like this before. Yes, it ties into the story but as far as concept album interludes go, there have been others done before and in a much better way.

Like goober said, it's also oddly placed on the album and it should be after The Wreckers. Instead it's placed after the fun and powerful Headlong Flight and it just doesn't work there. The character seems to be in a positive frame of mind on HF and BU2B2 just doesn't fit after it. It does fit after the sad events in The Wreckers though.

Good point!

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 16 2012, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (spock @ Jul 16 2012, 01:52 PM)

I wanna go home

C'mon, admit it...

laugh.gif

spock...very logical and an excellent metaphor.

It's a hinge, just like "Stop". Remove it and the record falls in two. Move it and its still connected, but it bends unnaturally.

Poor BU2B2, getting much love from so very few (it would seem) ....

hug2.gif BU2B2 hug2.gif

De-interconnectedification

That's my diagnosis for the lack of proper love and affection for BU2B2

What? Elaborate?

Geddy said (per some interview that I can't properly cite - 2 points of for APA mistake) that he didn't want the songs to be so tightly interconnected as you might expect in a concept album.

So, with The Wall, the songs were all intricately part of a tight story line. Some stood on their own okay (IMHO - like Comfortably Numb), but most were highly integrated into the story.

So, I think with CA, BU2B2 is certainly a linker on an album of songs that aren't so linked. You can easily hit "Skip" and launch right into WTW without too much wearing on your conscience. Especially, if you have the windows down and volume cranked up to 11 and just want to blow out your speakers.

I find that, depending on my mood, i can get lost in the story or just listen to a good rock album. That's good artistry, but I think it ends up giving poor BU2B low self esteem and little attention. My guess is that BU2B2 will grow up to become.......wait for it......an Anarchist (clock comes full circle ahahahahahahaha).

Okay, I'm better now...time to get to work!

smile.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jul 17 2012, 11:46 PM)
It got respect in its debut, but since the album came out, it hasn't. I think the other songs, plus the fact that it had been "played out", over-shadowed BUTB.

Yeah, but were talking about BU2B2.

I rather like BU2B2. It provides good contrast, serves an important need in the evolution of the protagonist's world view, and (if your not in the mood for it) it's short. I do feel like there's some missing information in between HF and BU2B2, though. I'd almost suspect that HF is from another character's POV that the protagonist is watching pass away. But in interviews, the band has said HF is the protagonist's song. So, what brings on the crisis? I guess it'll be clearer in the book.