Popular Artists you just don't like

I don't know if I mentioned already, but another "popular" band that I just don't like is Guns n' Roses.

I met them at a local TV station that showed music videos when I was 14. It was just before Appetite came out and no one knew who they were. I was dating the station managers daughter and he introduced me to them and they were as nice as could be. Their manager came over and gave me a cassette of the album and a t-shirt. I thought they were really cool. Someone told them to get ready to go on air and their manager handed then half empty Jack Daniels bottles (which had iced tea in them I found out later) and as soon as they were being filmed they started acting like they were wasted dirtbags and were totally rude and obnoxious. I could never see them as anything but a joke and pretty much quit listening to hair metal because of that.

That album, though, is in the running for greatest debut album by a band ever.

I don't think of them as a hair metal band though. Most of them hair metal bands (and I love many of them) were basically caricatures of Van Halen (and we're back to this topic). These guys were much darker, even if some of it was posturing.

I never think of them as hair metal either.

Sadly, with Axl Rose proving to be a real jerk, I no longer believe there was a lot of posturing. When young, that sort of behaviour is "rock n roll", but when you age, it's just arrogant and, well, jerk like behaviour.

And Slash has done nothing great since, in all honesty all his work sounds exactly the same, and I hate the way Myles Kennedy sings with his new band.

I think all of Appetite was posturing. I think they were actually clean cut guys who adopted the mean streets of L.A. image to fit in. The real Axl was the one we saw later who wanted GnR to be more like Queen. I don't think it's beyond the pale to question their song writing contributions on Appetite either given how flaccid the followups were.

• Like 1

I don't know if I mentioned already, but another "popular" band that I just don't like is Guns n' Roses.

I met them at a local TV station that showed music videos when I was 14. It was just before Appetite came out and no one knew who they were. I was dating the station managers daughter and he introduced me to them and they were as nice as could be. Their manager came over and gave me a cassette of the album and a t-shirt. I thought they were really cool. Someone told them to get ready to go on air and their manager handed then half empty Jack Daniels bottles (which had iced tea in them I found out later) and as soon as they were being filmed they started acting like they were wasted dirtbags and were totally rude and obnoxious. I could never see them as anything but a joke and pretty much quit listening to hair metal because of that.

I don't think of them as a hair metal band though. Most of them hair metal bands (and I love many of them) were basically caricatures of Van Halen (and we're back to this topic). These guys were much darker, even if some of it was posturing.

Sadly, with Axl Rose proving to be a real jerk, I no longer believe there was a lot of posturing. When young, that sort of behaviour is "rock n roll", but when you age, it's just arrogant and, well, jerk like behaviour.

And Slash has done nothing great since, in all honesty all his work sounds exactly the same, and I hate the way Myles Kennedy sings with his new band.

I think all of Appetite was posturing. I think they were actually clean cut guys who adopted the mean streets of L.A. image to fit in. The real Axl was the one we saw later who wanted GnR to be more like Queen. I don't think it's beyond the pale to question their song writing contributions on Appetite either given how flaccid the followups were.

I honestly don't think any of the songs on Appetite are that great. But like many popular bands, I accept they have their fans. But this band I just don't get.

Bon Jovi is the same. But then again, I love them and yet I actually agree with all the criticism they receive!

I honestly don't think any of the songs on Appetite are that great. But like many popular bands, I accept they have their fans. But this band I just don't get.

Bon Jovi is the same. But then again, I love them and yet I actually agree with all the criticism they receive!

I'll never understand Bon Jovi's enduring popularity. But I don't begrudge them that popularity either because I think JBJ has worked really hard to keep them going. I can think of a lot of equally or more talented bands that have faded away because they didn't work as hard to stay relevant or popular.

I hate Bon Jovi. Take a look at my signature rating system. It sums up.my feelings.

With that said, as a person, Jon Bon Jovi seems to be a decent guy utilizing his success and money towards good things.

• Like 3

I hate Bon Jovi. Take a look at my signature rating system. It sums up.my feelings.

With that said, as a person, Jon Bon Jovi seems to be a decent guy utilizing his success and money towards good things.

As much as I enjoy them, they ain't revolutionary.

I hate Frank Zappa.

I try and try, but there is nothing I like about him.

Jethro Tull (It's probably the flute), Dream Theater, Queen, Pink Floyd, anything that involves screaming for vocals.

I'm not their biggest fan but the earlier material isn't that bad. There is some great playing from Sambora for a start.

Edited by Steevo

Frank Zappa

Porcupine Tree

Steven Wilson

Smashing Pumpkins (not the songwriting, just the singing)

John Mellencamp (Springsteen's farts have more rock n roll authenticity than this dude)

Jethro Tull (It's probably the flute), Dream Theater, Queen, Pink Floyd, anything that involves screaming for vocals.

I am not a Tull fan or a Queen fan either (they have a couple of songs I like but some of their stuff, eesh). I can handle the other two bands you mentioned.

• Like 1

I don't like Queen at all, but Innuendo has a couple of jaw dropping moments. Not enough to change my mind about them.

I do not like, or admire, or find anything special about Freddie Mercury. Great range, yes. Great charisma, yes. But so do many other stars that leave me immensely frozen, never mind cold.

• Like 1

Queen, Nirvana, Bob Dylan, Elton John, Guns'n'Roses, Muse, Foo Fighters, Lou Reed, Scorpions, all pantyhose-makeup-hair metal bands plus everything and everyone involved with rap and hip hop. That crap is not music, it's background noise for crack smoking, basketball playing and armed robbery. Edited by Pete Bondurant

plus everything and everyone involved with rap and hip hop. That crap is not music, it's background noise for crack smoking, basketball playing and armed robbery.

That's not borderline racist at all

Ya think?

• Like 1

plus everything and everyone involved with rap and hip hop. That crap is not music, it's background noise for crack smoking, basketball playing and armed robbery.

I'm not a racist by any means, I make fun of all races, nationalities and religions equally! And myself the most.

Besides white folks smoke crack, play basketball and rob places too.

Edited by Pete Bondurant
  • Like 1

I'm not a racist by any means, I make fun of all races, nationalities and religions equally! And myself the most.

While what you said doesn't bother me, it may have bothered someone else on the forum. So, be careful what you say. You don't want to end up getting kicked off this board just after joining if someone decides to complain to the mods about you. It probably won't happen but just be aware that it could.

The one thing I will say about rap is that I do think it takes talent to be a good rapper. It's certainly takes good ability for some of them to say all the words at the speed they do sometimes. But musically, yeah, it's nothing special. Give me the proper equipment and i'm sure I can come up with a good hip hop hook. Better yet, i'll show no originality at all and just use a hook from an old song that was already a hit years ago like all of them do now.

Edited by J2112YYZ

While what you said doesn't bother me, it may have bothered someone else on the forum. So, be careful what you say. You don't want to end up getting kicked off this board just after joining if someone decides to complain to the mods about you. It probably won't happen but just be aware that it could.

The one thing I will say about rap is that I do think it takes talent to be a good rapper. It's certainly takes good ability for some of them to say all the words at the speed they do sometimes. But musically, yeah, it's nothing special. Give me the proper equipment and i'm sure I can come up with a good hip hop hook. Better yet, i'll show no originality at all and just use a hook from an old song that was already a hit years ago like all of them do now.

This is a generalization. There is a lot of rap and hip hop that is truly musically innovative. I keep going back to It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back. Yes, it's filled with sampling, but it's constructed really well and produced an original sound. It's a landmark album. And I'll go back to Led Zeppelin, what's worse - sampling a record or ripping off blues artists and lesser known songwriters?

• Like 1