Ernest Borgnine dies at 95

laughedatbytime

RIP, Ernie...rose.gif

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-574682...ine-dies-at-95/

(CBS/AP) Ernest Borgnine, the beefy screen star known for blustery, often villainous roles, but who won the Best Actor Oscar for playing against type as a lovesick butcher in "Marty" in 1955, died Sunday. He was 95.

His longtime spokesman, Harry Flynn, told The Associated Press that Borgnine died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his family by his side.

He did not have the face, or the smile, of a classic movie star. But Borgnine certainly had the heart of one, whether in a drama, such as "Marty," or a comedy, like the 1960s sitcom "McHale's Navy."

Ermes Effron Borgnino was born in 1917, the son of Italian immigrants. He lived in Italy for a while as a child, then came back to the United States, where he joined the U.S. Navy, serving throughout World War II.

When the war ended, Borgnine tried his hand at a few things, until his mother suggested he try acting.

He caught on fairly quickly, appearing on Broadway and some early television roles.

Then, Borgnine's first big role, as the bully Fatso Judson in the movie "From Here to Eternity."

A character actor, a "heavy," was born . . .

. . . Until an unexpectedly gentle role came up in 1955, with a winning performance. The role of "Marty," a sweet-natured Everyman, living with his mother, trying to find love, won Borgnine the Academy Award:

"I just want to thank my mother for giving me the idea to get into this wonderful profession," he said, accepting the Oscar.

His next big triumph came when art imitated life, joining the Navy again as Lieutenant Commander Quentin McHale in the TV show "McHale's Navy."

After that, a string of action movies, from "The Dirty Dozen" to "The Poseidon Adventure."

Younger viewers might know him more as the voice of Mermaid Man in "Spongebob Squarepants."

Borgnine's biggest kick, however, was going out and meeting people - even making a documentary about himself driving around the country in a big bus: "See, this is what it's all about - living!"

Ernest Borgnine knew what it was all about.

Wow shit, this is sad, I was just talking about him yesterday and how healthy he seemed for a 95 year old. And also I mentioned him in the tough guy thread the other day...

RIP Ernie

sad.gif

This leaves only Kirk Douglas, Eli Wallach, Herbert Lom, Mickey Rooney, Olivia De Haviland and Maureen O'Hara out of the Hollywood superstar nonagenarians...

rose.gif

And the secret of his longevity?

"I do an awful lot of reading," he said. "It keeps me busy. I try to keep my mind going always. That is the thing that counts. You can have your body not feeling so good, but if your mind is working you got it made. That is the way I figured it out."

Also:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/14/e...b_n_118938.html

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jul 8 2012, 06:05 PM)

RIP Ernest rose.gif One of my favorite performances of his was The Poseidon Adventure

I was going to post that, too. Borgnine and Shelley Winters.. what a cast!

Very sad, but a long happy life to celebrate.

I loved him in "The Poseidon Adventure," but he was amazing in "Marty" which I had seen for the first time just a few years ago.

Rest in Peace Ernest!

QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 8 2012, 07:54 PM)
sad.gif RIP rose.gif

My favorite movie is Emperor Of The North.

That's a good one, Ernie played probably one of the meanest, toughest characters ever! He made Lee Marvin look like a cat.gif and Marvin was really tough in the film himself! ohmy.gif

My favourite Borgnine films are Bad Day at Black Rock, The Vikings, The Dirty Dozen, The Poseidon Adventure, Ice Station Zebra, The Wild Bunch and Escape from New York.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 9 2012, 07:39 AM)
sad.gif RIP rose.gif

That's a good one, Ernie played probably one of the meanest, toughest characters ever! He made Lee Marvin look like a cat.gif and Marvin was really tough in the film himself! ohmy.gif

My favourite Borgnine films are Bad Day at Black Rock, The Vikings, The Dirty Dozen, The Poseidon Adventure, Ice Station Zebra, The Wild Bunch and Escape from New York.

This Escape From New York - as in Kurt Russell?

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 9 2012, 04:02 AM)
sad.gif RIP rose.gif

Yes, Borgnine plays Cabbie!

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 9 2012, 06:31 PM)
sad.gif RIP rose.gif

trink38.gif

http://www.movieactors.com/freeseframes-1026/EscapeFromNY209.jpeg

I remember Cabbie's tape recording serving a nice role at the end while Snake limps off looking cool and smoking a ciggy cool.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 9 2012, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 9 2012, 06:31 PM)
sad.gif RIP rose.gif

trink38.gif

http://www.movieactors.com/freeseframes-1026/EscapeFromNY209.jpeg

I remember Cabbie's tape recording serving a nice role at the end while Snake limps off looking cool and smoking a ciggy cool.gif

Cabbie smokes molotovs!

http://www.into-the-dark.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ernest-Borgnine_320.jpg

Of all of the Borgs, Ernest 9 was the best.

Earnest Borg7 was kind of lame.

Earnest Borg8 was a slight improvement.

Earnest Borg9 was the shit! 1022.gif

RIP Earnest. rose.gif

We will have to wait and see what Earnest Borg10 brings us. I highly doubt he will live up to old number 9.

Edited by Tick

RIP.

My fave EB movie is Emperor Of The North. He was a badass in it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-x3oHy1MoXIY/TrtRw7YBvqI/AAAAAAAAACM/1_Os86UnzX4/s1600/EmperorOfTheNorth.jpg

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 9 2012, 03:54 PM)
RIP.

My fave EB movie is Emperor Of The North. He was a badass in it.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-x3oHy1MoXIY/TrtRw7YBvqI/AAAAAAAAACM/1_Os86UnzX4/s1600/EmperorOfTheNorth.jpg

And don't forget the Vikings where he played Kirk Douglas's father, Kirk's actually only 6 months younger!

http://www.bearotic.com/img/2008/08/ernest-borgnine-001.jpg

Sad news... sad.gif

It's cool that while I grew up knowing his acting, my kids still know who he is from his voice work on Spongebob. He and Tim Conway were hilarious as the aging underwater super heroes Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.

RIP Mr. Borgnine rose.gif

http://www.moviestore.com/library/photos/264/264653.jpg

Detective Lt. Mike Rogo and his wife, Linda Rogo (a former hooker on Rogo's turf)......from The Poseiden Adventure.

A very underrated performance by Borgnine - a rude, crude tough-as-nails cop with a heart of gold.....

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif