Listened The Wall for the first time...

Akron162

Believe it or not, yesterday i listened The Wall for the first time. Maybe i was over hyped, but considering all the talking this album has get over the years, i find it a little bit dull.

Don't get me wrong, the album is very enjoyable and has pretty nice compositions, but is very far from what The Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here achieved years before.

Well, it's just my opinion.

Edited by Akron162

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jul 3 2012, 07:00 PM)
At the time of its release, as a 13 year old boy, I thought it was the most revelatory thing I had ever heard. Simply awesome.

Maybe it's a set/setting thing?

confused13.gif

Timing matters in this case.

I still love it, especially side 3.

QUOTE (goose @ Jul 3 2012, 07:10 PM)
At the time of its release, as a 13 year old boy, I thought it was the most revelatory thing I had ever heard. Simply awesome.

confused13.gif

Side 3? What's a side? wink.gif

I like the album a lot. I've always liked darker themed stuff and the album takes you on a unique ride with it's writing and the way everything is presented.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 3 2012, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 3 2012, 09:55 PM)
Division Bell is the best PF album.

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

Wait, are you serious?

Yes. It's when they stopped making albums of mediocrity. Pink Floyd is ZZZZZZZ for me.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 3 2012, 09:32 PM)

confused13.gif

I like the album a lot. I've always liked darker themed stuff and the album takes you on a unique ride with it's writing and the way everything is presented.

Long Play(LP) has 2 sides. A double LP constists of 4 sides cool.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 3 2012, 10:32 PM)

confused13.gif

I agree.... it's one of those "had to be there" kinda things I guess.

But I prefer side 4 if I had to choose one.

QUOTE (HamiltonYYZ @ Jul 3 2012, 10:10 PM)

confused13.gif

Long Play(LP) has 2 sides. A double LP constists of 4 sides cool.gif

Yes, I know. I was just making a joke about how out of date the term is. I used to listen to my mom and dads old classic rock vinyls when I was a kid and when I first started buying music myself it was on cassette. So, I do know what album sides are biggrin.gif

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 4 2012, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 3 2012, 07:46 PM)
Heard it for the first time when I was 12 back in '79, and I still love it. I guess you had to be there.

I hadn't read this post, but said the same thing. trink39.gif

'86 for me, a pirate copy my brother bought in a flea market in Beirut when he was stationed there.

It was love at first listen.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 3 2012, 05:46 PM)
Heard it for the first time when I was 12 back in '79, and I still love it. I guess you had to be there.

this

confused13.gif

old.gif You see, there were things called "long play records", and they turned at 33 1/3 revolutions per minute...

The Wall makes for good audio theater, I think. Pretty well done as far as capturing the neurotic experience.

I love The Wall

- Musically, It's not their best there are many musically better albums...though the album is very good musically, just far from their best...plus it was hardly a "Floyd" effort, as Much as I love Waters, he was an asshole, power-hungry douche bag back then.. I still consider it a "Floyd" album, especially when you compare it to "The Final Cut" (which I don't consider a Floyd album) but you can tell that the other guys had very little creative influence on the record..

- Writing wise, It is one of the best albums ever.. once again despite being dominated by Waters, he created a masterpiece, the album is very well illustrative and engrossing... the story while depressing is enthralling.. and seeing it played live (with full production of course)is a life changing experience.

- David Gilmour's guitar solo in "Comfortably Numb"....nuff said.