Have you cooled on CA yet?

zappafrank

QUOTE (patjnev @ Jun 27 2012, 02:31 PM)
Ive stopped listening to it . I know I will get flammed but its the truth. I maybe listened to it three times since I bought it . I guess its time to move on . Its been a hell of a run these years with RUSH and I will never love a band more . But these last series of works suck . goodbye . I'm not coming back to this forum nor will I go see them in concert. or buy this suck ass derivative crap they are punishing us with . I know Rush is better then this . it is obvious they want to retire but the fans wont let them . I may not know much in life but one thing I know is good music . and this is not good music . I was willing to give Rush a pass on VT because of Neils heartache . and Feedback was probably a stop gap between serious albums but then SnA came out . I sat there and read all the posts about how MalNar was on par with YYZ when basically Alex is playing a A chord throughout the whole mess. When me and my friend first listened to SnA we sat there looking like someone just stole our favorite music cds . When Caravan came out I felt a twing of excitement but I kept my head on a even keel being let down before . and I was right . Its time for Rush to retire . you all may now burn me in effigy. Thanks for all the fish.

I can almost agree with the fact that we won't let them retire. I think after everything that's happened they are genuinely happy to still be playing music together and feel lucky to still be able to do so considering where they were before the turn of the century. However they also strongly identify as an active band whose purpose is to produce new music then tour it. Their best recent tours have been R30 and Time Machine which were essentially nostalgia shows (I will also include the S&A tour because that is a really good album regardless of what anyone else thinks and the shows were awesome). They still feel like they are on an upward swing. Personally I think they have "leveled off" meaning what I have loved about their music was their growth and development. This was evident in their music into the late 80's. Since then their growth has been less evident to the point to where they've pushed so many barriers that there are few left to break through. Now it's all about their longevity, and that's not what made them great. It seems to me like Counterparts was the last significant upward movement in terms of songwriting and individual technique. Since then things are much more homogenized. There is a certain sameness that didn't really exist in their 70's and 80's music.

I stopped buying Iron Maiden records after 7th son because by that point they had begun to rehash. You knew what to expect. Not that it isn't good but it's just more of what's come before and I think that is where Rush is these days.

I want very much to appreciate CA but the production is really bad. As an audio person that is unacceptable. The material is flavored with reused ideas. As a Rush fan that is unacceptable.

I haven't cooled on it because it never got heated up.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have cooled on the last half definitely. Not feeling The Wreckers, BU2B2, Wish them Well, and Seven Cities of Gold is "ok" but redundant.

The first 6 songs, Headlong Flight, and The Garden are superb and my opinion will never change on that. I know that at this point.

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

For me, about half the album has cooled. Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, Carnies, Headlong Flight, and the Garden are still kicking pretty good.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 27 2012, 08:58 PM)
this is just a gut feeling but i think this may be their last hurrah.

Well, we know they are doing 2 legs on this tour which will likely taken them through 2013. They will probably take some well deserved time off, the majority of 2014. So in 3 years, they will be well past 60. It's just hard to imagine the guys playing at this high a level at that point. In particular, Geddy's voice is rapidly going downhill so I can't imagine how it will hold up in 3 years.

So, yeah, I think CA was their last hurrah. And I think it would be a very fitting last album in a brilliant career

I've given it 4 tries and I like a few things here and there, but it's not a good sign when I enjoy reading the story lines/lyrics and looking at the pictures much more than actually listening to the music itself. Too many songs start off OK but bore or annoy me after a minute or two. Then I skip to the next one. Same thing.

Love the effort Rush, but you guys just don't have your magic anymore, that special "it" factor that all the previous albums up to TFE had. And it's undeniable that Geddy's voice just isn't very good anymore.

Edited by jnoble

I played it a little too often the past couple weeks, so now i'm cooling off with a bunch of 80's material. Enjoy that new material in moderation, or you're likely to never wanna hear it again at some point.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 26 2012, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 26 2012, 07:14 PM)
I cranked it for the first time in my Truck today, and I really noticed how bad the production is. Especially the mixing.....at a loud volume it certainly doesn't sound too good. It's an very good system too....

I re-EQ'd it just a hair on my audio editor and it sounds not just good but great. Huge difference.

What levels did you push or pull and what plugin. I was going to run it through Izotope but i downloaded the FLAC. So i will just rip it and try soon.

wouldnt say id cooled on CA just yet some great stuff on there but ive developed a finer appreciation for the more relaxed S&A past couple days

i'm even playing speed of love right now

later edit: got bravado on now which definitely means i'm trying to chillax a bit

Edited by lifeson90

I gave it two days off. Then right back into it again.

I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!

It will go down as a top 10 of all time for Rush. I am still amazed they pulled this off 40 years later. Truly amazed.

As far as Prog concepts. It is the best by far Neil has written in the lyrical sense. Not even close. Hemipsheres, 2112, By Tor, Necromancer...those lyrics don't compare to what Neil came up with here.

Truly amazing.

They have always had a comsistent theme on every album and this ranks as maybe my all time favorite theme. The story is so awesome and I can't wait to read the book.

And the more I keep listening to this album the more I love it.

That is the sign of a great album.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 28 2012, 10:48 AM)
I gave it two days off. Then right back into it again.

I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!

It will go down as a top 10 of all time for Rush. I am still amazed they pulled this off 40 years later. Truly amazed.

As far as Prog concepts. It is the best by far Neil has written in the lyrical sense. Not even close. Hemipsheres, 2112, By Tor, Necromancer...those lyrics don't compare to what Neil came up with here.

Truly amazing.

They have always had a comsistent theme on every album and this ranks as maybe my all time favorite theme. The story is so awesome and I can't wait to read the book.

And the more I keep listening to this album the more I love it.

That is the sign of a great album.

goodpost.gif yes.gif

NO

When Caravan was released, I loved the open sound and the "progressive" breakdown section. Lexrst with a Primus twist!

BU2B was very catchy, a solid, straight-ahead song. The lyrics resonate very much with me personally. Carries the Hemispheres-Freewill-GhostChance-Totem-Faithless tradition.

Headlong Flight blew my mind! Punk speed, epic length, catchy melody right from the get go with me. Heard the classic rock tributes in it (E major, wah-wah pedal).

When I first heard the whole CA album together, two things overwhelmed me -- the multitude of a collage of musical ideas, and the dense sonic wall.

The Garden gave me goosebumps, makes my eyes water, and leaves a sad, respectful realization of the mortality and worth of this one life we each have.

Edited by psionic11

Still not cooled for me.

no.gif

biggrin.gif

The above post still holds true for me up to this point.

After letting the album cool for a few days, coming back to it, yes, CA has cooled down for me.

I'm making a playlist of the best songs that I can listen to over and over on repeat. Did the same with S&A. Leaves a concentrated "best-of" feel to the album.

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Halo Effect

Seven Cities of Gold

Headlong Flight

BU2B2

The Garden

Edited by psionic11

I've probably heard this album about 20 times now. I'd say I am cooling a little bit. But I am still growing on some songs and liking parts of this album more & more each listen. I have found myself listening to this album less frequently. At first, I listened to it once or twice every day, now I'm down to random songs & the whole thing every orther day or two.

For some strange reason, I long to hear the whole thing again, I guess I'm warming back up. smile.gif