Seven Cities of Gold...

Bangster of Goats

...is the song on CA that, when I close my eyes, I can most most easily imagine Alex in that permed mop hair and platform shoes, Geddy with stringy hair and sans glasses, and Neil in the back with long hair and a moustache.

Replace mature-Geddy voice with 70s shriek Geddy on the track and it sounds like something they would have released between 2112 and Kings.

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 16 2012, 09:24 AM)
...is the song on CA that, when I close my eyes, I can most most easily imagine Alex in that permed mop hair and platform shoes, Geddy with stringy hair and sans glasses, and Neil in the back with long hair and a moustache.

Replace mature-Geddy voice with 70s shriek Geddy on the track and it sounds like something they would have released between 2112 and Kings.

yes.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Yes, very retro feel.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 17 2012, 06:09 AM)
Best song on the album IMO. Intense, kick ass. It will be completely insane live. Love it.

I love th intro, where they painted the music to reflect entering the city through a long gate, tunnel a Large Corridor even! Pure Genius! Reminds me of he same effect in the middle slower part of Jacobs Ladder, You can nearly imagine the light stream down in bright unbroken beams. And yes it sound very Zepllin-ish because of the drums.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

This is probably my favorite song with The Anarchist a tick behind....Those 2 songs are somewhere out of Hemispheres and Permanent Waves.

The buildup in the intro is incredibile with Seven Cities of Gold.....Can't wait to hear it live..

I can see 6-8 songs from CA being on the setlist....Their best since MOVING PICTURES.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jun 17 2012, 08:34 PM)
This is my least favorite track. It doesn't make it bad, but to me, it doesn't compete with the rest. It still flows nicely with the rest of the songs. Perhaps it will grow on me more with future listens.

This is what I used to think too, but it really grows on you the more you listen to it.

SEVEN CITIES OF GOOOOOOOOLLLDD!!!!

This is my least favorite track. It doesn't make it bad, but to me, it doesn't compete with the rest. It still flows nicely with the rest of the songs. Perhaps it will grow on me more with future listens.

+1. Once it clicks for me, the album will be perfect.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 17 2012, 06:09 AM)
Best song on the album IMO. Intense, kick ass. It will be completely insane live. Love it.

Yeah, my 2nd favorite, right behind The anarchist, but barely. I am a lyrics person, so The Anarchist really hits home, but I love the lyrics on this song.

"Glowing in my dreams, like hallucinations

Glitter in the sun like a revelation

Distant as a comet or a constellation"

Hell yes.

This is EASILY doable, by changing the pitch by about 12 degrees. I'm doing it right now.

It doesn't give that SHRIEK, but it definitely gives Geddy a better sounding voice.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 19 2012, 06:55 AM)

This is what I used to think too, but it really grows on you the more you listen to it.

SEVEN CITIES OF GOOOOOOOOLLLDD!!!!

Agreed

This song was resigned to be a miss for me too...

But just yesterday...I got it!

Listening on headphones and hearing the details....the busy bass under the chorus....the dark choral harmonies. Just love it when songs finally click.

I had a hard time getting past the "one little victory" riff at first..but now I feel it!

Love it now.

Couldn't agree more...they really amped it up for that song. It's an adventure. It's so awesome that they revisited the hard rock edge they had in their youth

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 22 2012, 12:42 PM)
It's still fantastic to these ears.

A Top 3-4 song on CA for me probably...love it. 1022.gif

Definately one of the best on the album. It has such a funky groove and is undeniable addictive. Seven Cities, HF, Caravan, Clockwork Angels, Carnies, and BU2b are so kick ass...hard to put one in front of the other. Seven Cities is like nothing else in the RUSH catalouge, yet it sounds familiar in some way..do u know what I mean?

trink39.gif