The Garden

Ya_Big_Tree

QUOTE (Sword and Armor @ Jun 16 2012, 06:12 AM)
QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Jun 16 2012, 12:56 AM)
In a recent interview with Neil, he stated that their agenda was busy for the next 2 years or so.

Yes,

Most likely touring, anyone remember a 2 summer tour recently? tongue.gif

Exactly. "Two years" isn't enough time for the CA tour, and then another album, and perhaps another tour. "Two years" probably means the CA tour already booked, and then a "second leg" CA tour next summer.

It will take them almost five years to get another album out, at the current pace. (2002-2007-2012.) Maybe they could "rush" and get another out in three years, but not two, not with the CA tour ahead.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first post on this forum <*pop*>, been listening to Rush since bla, bla bla, bla....it's all in my profile. One of the few female Rush nuts; there are a few of us out here, but we're vastly outnumbered by the boys.

The Garden is the most beautiful song that Rush has ever written, IMO. I well up everytime I listen to it. I have never had tears in my eyes listening to a Rush song - they aren't that type of band.

Since Presto (why Presto is another thread), I've listened to the last song on the album as their potential swan song - Available Light was a very orchestrated and quite majestic end after a rather mediocre album (again, IMO). Every album from Rush has been a gift, especially the ones after the post TFE tragedies, and could always be their last.

Is this their swan song? I hope not. I always hope not. If it is, I believe it is perfect.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jun 16 2012, 07:49 AM)
The Garden is the most beautiful song that Rush has ever written, IMO. I well up everytime I listen to it. I have never had tears in my eyes listening to a Rush song - they aren't that type of band.

Is this their swan song? I hope not. I always hope not. If it is, I believe it is perfect.

Great post, and welcome to the board!

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jun 16 2012, 06:49 AM)
My first post on this forum <*pop*>, been listening to Rush since bla, bla bla, bla....it's all in my profile. One of the few female Rush nuts; there are a few of us out here, but we're vastly outnumbered by the boys.

Since Presto (why Presto is another thread), I've listened to the last song on the album as their potential swan song - Available Light was a very orchestrated and quite majestic end after a rather mediocre album (again, IMO). Every album from Rush has been a gift, especially the ones after the post TFE tragedies, and could always be their last.

Well put...

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Jun 15 2012, 10:01 PM)
Definitely think The Garden would make a great tune to go right after Neil's solo! If they play it, I'll be in heaven!

Nah , that song is great just the way it is. One some recent tours Neil has not played after his solo , i don't want to hear this song without drums

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 15 2012, 10:08 PM)
The Garden is definitely one of my favorites now. The message, the music... wow.

Obviously I don't want this to be their last album. But if it were, it's a great way to go out. It makes me think of Fading Lights, the last song on The Way We Walk, the last Genesis album with the classic line-up*. They played it on the sound system after the shows they did in 2007 and it was a beautiful coda to their career, IMO.

*IMO. So let's not have a argument about that, ok?

wink.gif AGREE here. wub.gif

I have cried to The Garden, on several listenings! Although I don't think it's the last song, to the last studio album Rush records, I do think the song sums up the band as individuals, and as a whole!

I've already got it planned at the show in Vegas -

They play The Garden near the end of the show

and I cry my eyes out!

Check! smile.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 16 2012, 07:52 AM)
The Garden is the most beautiful song that Rush has ever written, IMO.  I well up everytime I listen to it.  I have never had tears in my eyes listening to a Rush song - they aren't that type of band.

Is this their swan song?  I hope not.  I always hope not.  If it is, I believe it is perfect.

Great post, and welcome to the board!

Agreed. It definately ranks up there with Mission and Mystic Rythms in that type of stirring emotion, beautiful kind of feel. Quite the amazing song and I'm addicted to playing it repeatedly. Just love it.

Rush is a measure of a Life! smile.gif - All of our lives! Some of us longer than others.

We all recall where we are in our lives when this album or that album was released. Truly, a measure of a life! You half to be a hardcore music fan with at least moderate intelligence to understand the depth of the connection between Rush fans and the lyrics & music. No Lie, it took me awhile to accept the 1st Rush album as Rush, because Neil wasn't on it. No Neil - No Hugh Syme - No Message - Just the awesome music... Which is why I late relented, and now love that album. There were early concerts I witnessed, when the played "In the Mood" or "Working Man" and I would grimace! lol, we all have to grow up sometime! smile.gif

Rush hit me like a (Chargers) lightning Bolt when I was 13. I just turned 45, and I have loved them ever since then. Never wavering! G.U.P. stuck me as odd on the 1st few listens. Now I have the P/G symbol tattooed on my arm! smile.gif

The Garden is a masterpiece! Ged's little Bass interludes! Alex's Wailing Guitar on the Bridge is so Cinematic!!! I cannot wait to see what they project behind themselves when they are playing this song!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 15 2012, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2012, 02:20 PM)
Here we are again with the RUSH R.I.P. speculation...

I suppose you'll be pissed off if they produce another album.

tongue.gif

Nah I'd love it if they kept making awesome music like this. But I'm a realist. They are getting older and I think they may wanna end on a fantastic note...

But if they kept going like this I'd be a very happy kitty. smile.gif

yes.gif

I'd like more, of course, but:

1. Time isn't on their side.

2. They'll want to go out with their strongest stuff, and Clockwork Angels will be hard to top.

3. "The Garden" is a classy farewell; myself and others could still be happy if this were the goodbye.

Just sayin'.

+ 1

goodpost.gif

Well said!

Welcome to TRF, it is good have you along!

~Cheers, RGLT trink39.gif

no.gif

There'll be more of these guys to come

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

I have deemed this my favorite track on the record. Beautiful song.

Who says these guys can't rock until their mid-70s?

As long as they keep healthy, it's not impossible.

I say they'll pack it in in 2024, just in time for R50.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 17 2012, 09:31 PM)

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I am fully expecting a giant R50 concert 2.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 15 2012, 02:43 PM)
When I heard The Garden it just had a profound impact on me I actually found my eyes tearing up which hasn't happened since I first heard Secret Touch off vapor trails.

Me too. It just made me think about the preciousness of life, loved ones gone and what it all means in the end. Very profound and solemn.

You got to figure that they have family and friends who have stood by them for MOST of their lives, to some extent waiting for them to retire by now I'm sure. If this happened to be their last, then i say it's a terrific ending and put quite simply... Thank You.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 17 2012, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 17 2012, 09:31 PM)

1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

I am fully expecting a giant R50 concert 2.gif

+1

I think it says a great deal about the male fans here that they will admit to tearing up and/or crying due to this song. yes.gif

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Jun 18 2012, 12:10 AM)
You got to figure that they have family and friends who have stood by them for MOST of their lives, to some extent waiting for them to retire by now I'm sure. If this happened to be their last, then i say it's a terrific ending and put quite simply... Thank You.

Now, why on earth would people who love you want you to stop doing something that means a lot to you? That is just mean and it's not like they are pumping out albums and touring constantly so they have plenty of time off. Cliche, but they say the biggest killer of older people is retirement.

The Garden is depressing as is all of CA. It's good but still negative as was S&A.

QUOTE (Karena @ Jun 18 2012, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Jun 18 2012, 12:10 AM)

Now, why on earth would people who love you want you to stop doing something that means a lot to you? That is just mean and it's not like they are pumping out albums and touring constantly so they have plenty of time off. Cliche, but they say the biggest killer of older people is retirement.

The Garden is depressing as is all of CA. It's good but still negative as was S&A.

How is The Garden depressing? confused13.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2012, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 15 2012, 02:43 PM)
I absolutely love the new album. In fact I can't stop listening to it. When I heard The Garden it just had a profound impact on me I actually found my eyes tearing up which hasn't happened since I first heard Secret Touch off vapor trails.

The guitar, the vocals the words it's all so perfect.

Well done boys. smile.gif

I hope they play it live this tour.

Who says it's the last album?

confused13.gif

Well, might as well go out on top a'la The Police and Synchronicity.