Which do You Love More ?

Just an Escape Artist

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 7 2012, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 7 2012, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 7 2012, 01:41 PM)
FYI, the band makes very little money off of album sales. You're really only stealing from the record company, and really, who cares about them?

Rush makes their money off of touring...

This is very true, of ALL artists.

The record companies make money on the albums, the band makes money on touring. Each helps promote the other: the album gets people to go to the shows, and the shows get people to buy the albums (if they don't already have them).

2nd part is not always correct. Many people go to Rush shows that dont buy their new albums.

Well, of course it's not ALWAYS correct. I said the shows help PROMOTE the albums; I didn't say going to a concert ENSURED the concert-goer would buy the album. Some will buy the album after seeing a concert; some won't.

Like commercials: just because you saw the commercial on TV, it's not a GUARANTEE you'll buy the product... but the advertising helps. The albums are advertisements for the concerts, the concerts are advertisements for the albums.

Edited by GeddyRulz

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has restored my faith in humanity!

There are people in the world (and on this forum):

who never drive faster than the posted speed limit,

never jay-walk,

never make personal phone calls or browse the web at work,

got in a football or basketball pool where gambling is illegal,

and are just all around better people than me.

Edited by koobie

cool10.gif

QUOTE (kentpilot @ Jun 7 2012, 01:51 PM)
So i've been quite the lurker but this thread prompted me to get an account, hello all, My one complaint about rush is their attitude towards leaks and file sharing, Iron Maiden in 2000 were strictly against it and then in 2003 were all for it, they completely recognize it's ability to make sales. I love myself more, there is no one else more important than myself. Friday I'm gonna buy the CD because that's when the record store will get it in, then I'll get my fanpack which I ordered in early May. Then I'll go to the show September 11th and I'll buy a shirt. I don't care if I downloaded it, I paid for it.

I downloaded it, and seeded it. I hope someone who isn't a huge rush fan who never planned on buying it downloads it and goes wow this is f***ing good and becomes a bigger fan, buys merch goes to shows and maybe buys the awesome album. That happens quite a bit. Source: I was one of those people.

For some, it's more about principle than practicality.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 7 2012, 02:18 PM)
So i've been quite the lurker but this thread prompted me to get an account, hello all, My one complaint about rush is their attitude towards leaks and file sharing, Iron Maiden in 2000 were strictly against it and then in 2003 were all for it, they completely recognize it's ability to make sales. I love myself more, there is no one else more important than myself. Friday I'm gonna buy the CD because that's when the record store will get it in, then I'll get my fanpack which I ordered in early May. Then I'll go to the show September 11th and I'll buy a shirt. I don't care if I downloaded it, I paid for it.

I downloaded it, and seeded it. I hope someone who isn't a huge rush fan who never planned on buying it downloads it and goes wow this is f***ing good and becomes a bigger fan, buys merch goes to shows and maybe buys the awesome album. That happens quite a bit. Source: I was one of those people.

And that's fine, to each their own, but why should they persecute those who are different than them when they do no harm to anyone, in some cases help.

QUOTE (kentpilot @ Jun 7 2012, 02:20 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 7 2012, 02:18 PM)

And that's fine, to each their own, but why should they persecute those who are different than them when they do no harm to anyone, in some cases help.

True...to each their own and nobody on either side should be judged necessarily

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 7 2012, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jun 7 2012, 07:34 PM)
I downloaded it on Monday, and my fanpack came today, I don't give a ratzass what anyone thinks!

If it's THERE I'm going to go GET IT!  Stop judging people already and get a freaking life fer krissake!  confused13.gif

Hopefully you'll be equally non-judgemental if someone steals your pocket money

Not the same thing. He paid for his UK fan pack. His download didn't affect the band's bottom line at all.

QUOTE (Just an Escape Artist @ Jun 6 2012, 10:30 PM)
Now that someone has taken it upon themselves to leak the new Rush album against the wishes of the band that we all say we love, I wonder how we all feel about ourselves knowing that we are ripping off our favorite band. I see all these threads about how great the album is or "the official whatever" thread, and i am thinking, wait a minute, the album is not out yet. I am sure many of you will rationalze that you will purchase later. Maybe so, but many won't, that is a fact, so the band we love is getting ripped off.

We now have about a million threads about the new album that Rush has not released the album yet. Rush did not intend for anyone to hear it until it is released next week. Rush has stated thier distaste for this since VT was leaked, but here we are again pissing on the band the band once again.

Does this not bother anyones concience, or do we all just care about ourselves? Just a thought as I wait "Lit up in anticipation" for June 12

Let the flaming begin

One thing you are also failing to realize.... I received my "official copy" today which is about 4-5 days before the "official release date" you hold so dearly!

I'm guessing you are sad because you either can't find or don't know HOW to download it! fists crying.gif

never jay-walk,

AS I AM READING THIS.....AT WORK blush4.gif

QUOTE (kena2112 @ Jun 7 2012, 09:54 PM)

never jay-walk,

and SHOUTING....

I for one haven't downloaded it. I bought the fan pack (received on last Tuesday), spent hundreds of Euro's for concert tickets, flights and hotels (one year in advance), I will buy the vinyl and a lot of merch at the concerts...

I will pay the prize but I will not count the cost.

...and yes I love this band!! tongue.gif

QUOTE (kena2112 @ Jun 7 2012, 03:54 PM)

never jay-walk,

Then I am to assume you partook in the leak....

Doesnt matter since most of us are buying the CD to support our favorite band, and to see the cover art and the beauty of the beast! I have listened to streams just bc I couldnt help myself...honestly if you asked one of the members this im sure they would NOT care

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 7 2012, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jun 7 2012, 07:34 PM)
I downloaded it on Monday, and my fanpack came today, I don't give a ratzass what anyone thinks!

If it's THERE I'm going to go GET IT!  Stop judging people already and get a freaking life fer krissake!  confused13.gif

Hopefully you'll be equally non-judgemental if someone steals your pocket money

laugh.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 7 2012, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (Just an Escape Artist @ Jun 6 2012, 10:30 PM)
Now that someone has taken it upon themselves to leak the new Rush album against the wishes of the band that we all say we love, I wonder how we all feel about ourselves knowing that we are ripping off our favorite band. I see all these threads about how great the album is or "the official whatever" thread, and i am thinking, wait a minute, the album is not out yet. I am sure many of you will rationalze that you will purchase later. Maybe so, but many won't, that is a fact, so the band we love is getting ripped off.

We now have about a million threads about the new album that Rush has not released the album yet. Rush did not intend for anyone to hear it until it is released next week. Rush has stated thier distaste for this since VT was leaked, but here we are again pissing on the band the band once again.

Does this not bother anyones concience, or do we all just care about ourselves? Just a thought as I wait "Lit up in anticipation" for June 12

Let the flaming begin

FYI, the band makes very little money off of album sales. You're really only stealing from the record company, and really, who cares about them? This band doesnt even sell a lot of albums anyway, and didnt for years before the internet even came along.

Rush makes their money off of touring, so I dont feel bad for 1 second downloading it.

Typical laughable response..... laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 7 2012, 03:18 PM)

yes.gif

I just love these arguments: "I did it because everyone else is doing it" or "I felt nothing wrong in doing it" or "I'm just spreding the awesomeness that is Rush."

Rush and their management have in the past specifically asked that you not do this. They have not changed their position. There is a reason why TRF staff did not allow download links to be posted.

It couldn't be more clear what the position OUGHT to be here.