Which do You Love More ?

Just an Escape Artist

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 7 2012, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (drgrendel @ Jun 7 2012, 12:58 PM)
I like Iron Maiden's approach to their music - share it and spread it all around.

yes.gif And they know people will still buy it when it is released

+1 BINGO!!!!!!!!

We got a winner!!!!!!!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely love MYSELF more, as everyone who's mentally and emotionally healthy should. wink.gif

As for the implication that I should feel guilt for sneaking listens to "leaked" songs or the entire leaked album... NAH! I sleep with a clear conscience, probably because of my "rationalization" that I'm going to buy the full album anyway. wink.gif

I've only recently begun getting other bands' music "illegally." Almost every song you could possibly want is on YouTube, and there's this little website called www.youtube-mp3.org which allows you to convert YouTube clips to MP3's. Bingo, you can now have anything on YouTube on your iTunes/iPod. Seems strange to call this illegal, though; if it's illegal, why is the website a .ORG?

For that matter, why was making cassette copies of songs "illegal"? What did the manufacturer THINK we were doing with all those blank cassettes they sold us??

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 7 2012, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 7 2012, 11:11 AM)
People have complained about how Rush have done things forever.  I've done it plenty - wishing they released albums more than every 5 years instead of endless touring, taking apart their music bit by bit and over-analyzing everything, etc.  Some decisions of theirs I really agree with, and others I really don't.

That's the thing though.  Rush doesn't care.  They do things their own way, whether any given fan likes it or not.  They don't cater to how I or how anyone wants them to do things or thinks they should do things.  That's how it should be.

Similarly, if I decide to grab a copy of the album a week early because I can, knowing full well 150% that I'm buying the CD the day it's released anyway, why should anyone care how I do things?  You can say yes but it's still wrong, that's not how Rush wants it done!  So?  They don't respect my personal wishes and I don't respect theirs.  I apologize if I'm too big a fan of their music to resist.  Stick a big piece of chocolate cake in front of your eyes and don't take a bite if that's your choice.  Some of us aren't as strong. 

If they really didn't want it downloaded a week early, they shouldn't have licensed it to Classic Rock magazine knowing they'd be arriving at people's doors a week early because they knew full well the second it was in anyone's hands it would be all over the internet.  It was a miracle they kept the album under wraps as long as they did.  And even if they did manage to prevent a leak until the day it was released, that still wouldn't stop the people who would only download it and not buy it.  I'm not in that category.  I'm buying it ASAP Tuesday morning.

Seriously, what's the BFD?  If you want to deprive yourself for the sake of morality and wait till June 12th, go for it - totally valid point of view.  Some of us can't wait.  In the end we're really big fans who can't contain our enthusiasm.  Is that really that bad a thing? Is that really a bad thing for Rush that it has such wildly enthusiastic fans who would chance a download because they can't wait to hear their new music?  Call it rationalizing and justifying or whatever if you must, but I'm telling you, no one who's downloaded it and who's been enjoying the hell out of the new album for days is going to feel bad about that because you've decided to deprive yourself of the new Rush album a few days longer than the rest of us. 

Why should we feel guilty for our enjoyment if we know in our hearts we're not ripping off the band since we're getting the CD anyway?  Would that make YOU feel better since you think we're cheating somehow that at least we feel bad or guilty about it?  The OP certainly thinks we should feel guilty.

This has to be the most eloquent rationalization in this thread......but it IS a rationalization nonetheless.

Ask yourself: If you were busted for downloading the album before you had legitimately paid for the artist's work, and you were in a court of law and offered to the judge "well I was gonna pay for it next week"....do you honestly believe you would get a "not guilty" verdict based on your intentions?

Deep down we all know we shouldn't get the album without paying for it, but many of us do it anyway. We just don't believe that we're going to get caught because it's the Internet, they can't find me, Rush doesn't care, etc.

I don't think the OP intended a "guilt trip" for anyone....he's just calling attention to the fact of what people have openly admitted on this board to doing, regardless of the justification given.

And personally I think it's pretty sad that matters of simple morality are open for debate....self-denial continues to be most underrated and undervalued.

You and OP really like your high horses don't you?

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll292/xinia103/Tumblr%20Gifs/10.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 6 2012, 11:12 PM)
QUOTE (Just an Escape Artist @ Jun 6 2012, 09:30 PM)
Does this not bother anyones concience, or do we all just care about ourselves?

Doesn't bother me a bit. I could write a list of reasons why, but you wouldn't care because your only goal here is to preach down from your high horse about what bad people we all are.

You're all a bunch of naughty kitties. whipgirl.gif

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Jun 7 2012, 10:46 AM)
I love myself more.

You know, you can tell me selfishness is wrong -- but it was for me not you that I came to download these songs!

laugh.gif applaudit.gif

I downloaded it on Monday, and my fanpack came today, I don't give a ratzass what anyone thinks!

If it's THERE I'm going to go GET IT! Stop judging people already and get a freaking life fer krissake! confused13.gif

It isn't a matter of loving myself or RUSH or my dog. I think by loving them as much as we do, we listen. We all have waited 2+ years. Have threaded about it, drooled over the releases and the samples. Criticized and anticipated, all for love of the band. So no, I do not feel guilty. We have pre ordered the album, already bought our tickets for the tour before even hearing the "unofficial" release of the album in the United States. So rock on guys. WE LOVE 2.gif !!!! common001.gif Edited by kena2112

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 7 2012, 02:13 PM)
I definitely love MYSELF more, as everyone who's mentally and emotionally healthy should.  wink.gif

As for the implication that I should feel guilt for sneaking listens to "leaked" songs or the entire leaked album... NAH!  I sleep with a clear conscience, probably because of my "rationalization" that I'm going to buy the full album anyway.  wink.gif

I've only recently begun getting other bands' music "illegally."  Almost every song you could possibly want is on YouTube, and there's this little website called www.youtube-mp3.org which allows you to convert YouTube clips to MP3's.  Bingo, you can now have anything on YouTube on your iTunes/iPod.  Seems strange to call this illegal, though; if it's illegal, why is the website a .ORG?

For that matter, why was making cassette copies of songs "illegal"?  What did the manufacturer THINK we were doing with all those blank cassettes they sold us??

It's back!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/tyrantduck/patterns-1.gif

Damn that cracks me up. laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 7 2012, 01:28 PM)
I love Kelly D more...

bekloppt.gif

Treeduck injectin' some warm and fuzzies up in here! wub.gif

Seriously though, I've given this band hundreds if not thousands of dollars of my money since 2006 (baby fan here; sorry)- I've been waiting since June 2010 and July 2007 (when I bought Snakes and Arrows finally) for some new tuneage!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr0x8kzJiI1qzxkzb.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM)
I love Kelly D more...

Sayin'! trink39.gif

How cute is SHE?? heart.gif

QUOTE (Just an Escape Artist @ Jun 6 2012, 10:30 PM)
Now that someone has taken it upon themselves to leak the new Rush album against the wishes of the band that we all say we love, I wonder how we all feel about ourselves knowing that we are ripping off our favorite band. I see all these threads about how great the album is or "the official whatever" thread, and i am thinking, wait a minute, the album is not out yet. I am sure many of you will rationalze that you will purchase later. Maybe so, but many won't, that is a fact, so the band we love is getting ripped off.

We now have about a million threads about the new album that Rush has not released the album yet. Rush did not intend for anyone to hear it until it is released next week. Rush has stated thier distaste for this since VT was leaked, but here we are again pissing on the band the band once again.

Does this not bother anyones concience, or do we all just care about ourselves? Just a thought as I wait "Lit up in anticipation" for June 12

Let the flaming begin

FYI, the band makes very little money off of album sales. You're really only stealing from the record company, and really, who cares about them? This band doesnt even sell a lot of albums anyway, and didnt for years before the internet even came along.

Rush makes their money off of touring, so I dont feel bad for 1 second downloading it.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 7 2012, 01:36 PM)
It's back!

Damn that cracks me up. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I was waiting for someone to comment on it! I know a lot of TRF members love it.

I'd forgotten about it but stumbled upon it yesterday, so I brought it back.

QUOTE (Just an Escape Artist @ Jun 6 2012, 10:30 PM)
Now that someone has taken it upon themselves to leak the new Rush album against the wishes of the band that we all say we love, I wonder how we all feel about ourselves knowing that we are ripping off our favorite band. I see all these threads about how great the album is or "the official whatever" thread, and i am thinking, wait a minute, the album is not out yet. I am sure many of you will rationalze that you will purchase later. Maybe so, but many won't, that is a fact, so the band we love is getting ripped off.

We now have about a million threads about the new album that Rush has not released the album yet. Rush did not intend for anyone to hear it until it is released next week. Rush has stated thier distaste for this since VT was leaked, but here we are again pissing on the band the band once again.

Does this not bother anyones concience, or do we all just care about ourselves? Just a thought as I wait "Lit up in anticipation" for June 12

Let the flaming begin

FYI, the band makes very little money off of album sales. You're really only stealing from the record company, and really, who cares about them? This band doesnt even sell a lot of albums anyway, and didnt for years before the internet even came along.

Rush makes their money off of touring, so I dont feel bad for 1 second downloading it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 7 2012, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 7 2012, 01:36 PM)
It's back!

Damn that cracks me up.  laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I was waiting for someone to comment on it! I know a lot of TRF members love it.

I'd forgotten about it but stumbled upon it yesterday, so I brought it back.

Good move! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jun 7 2012, 07:34 PM)
I downloaded it on Monday, and my fanpack came today, I don't give a ratzass what anyone thinks!

If it's THERE I'm going to go GET IT! Stop judging people already and get a freaking life fer krissake! confused13.gif

Hopefully you'll be equally non-judgemental if someone steals your pocket money

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 7 2012, 01:41 PM)
FYI, the band makes very little money off of album sales. You're really only stealing from the record company, and really, who cares about them?

Rush makes their money off of touring...

This is very true, of ALL artists.

The record companies make money on the albums, the band makes money on touring. Each helps promote the other: the album gets people to go to the shows, and the shows get people to buy the albums (if they don't already have them).

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 7 2012, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM)
I love Kelly D more...

Sayin'! trink39.gif

How cute is SHE?? heart.gif

Oh you guys. . . blush4.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 7 2012, 01:45 PM)
FYI, the band makes very little money off of album sales. You're really only stealing from the record company, and really, who cares about them?

The record companies make money on the albums, the band makes money on touring. Each helps promote the other: the album gets people to go to the shows, and the shows get people to buy the albums (if they don't already have them).

And Merch is a big money maker for bands that know how to put out a good product. Sadly for them, Rush makes some Ugly ass shirts laugh.gif

2nd part is not always correct. Many people go to Rush shows that dont buy their new albums. There were many people around me at the S&A shows I went to that did not know the new songs and were not interested when they were playing them.

Stealing the album has little effect on the band. Rush will still sell their standard issue 400-500k albums, many of their casual fans wont even download or buy it, but still go see them on tour and the band cashes in.

I love myself much more than Rush....

But how does Rush "rationalize" taking $100 per ticket for concerts that don't take place for 6 months? I don't feel like doing the math but somebody is making a bunch of interest on that money.

So I downloaded an album, I'm going to buy 3 copies of, a week early. Who gives a sh*t? They have $125 of my money six months early.

So please go ahead and rationalize ticket sales 6 months early.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 7 2012, 02:48 PM)

And Merch is a big money maker for bands that know how to put out a good product. Sadly for them, Rush makes some Ugly ass shirts laugh.gif

goodpost.gif

So i've been quite the lurker but this thread prompted me to get an account, hello all, My one complaint about rush is their attitude towards leaks and file sharing, Iron Maiden in 2000 were strictly against it and then in 2003 were all for it, they completely recognize it's ability to make sales. I love myself more, there is no one else more important than myself. Friday I'm gonna buy the CD because that's when the record store will get it in, then I'll get my fanpack which I ordered in early May. Then I'll go to the show September 11th and I'll buy a shirt. I don't care if I downloaded it, I paid for it.

I downloaded it, and seeded it. I hope someone who isn't a huge rush fan who never planned on buying it downloads it and goes wow this is f***ing good and becomes a bigger fan, buys merch goes to shows and maybe buys the awesome album. That happens quite a bit. Source: I was one of those people.