Trying to like ASIA

Tarkus406

Listened to the entire Alpha album at work and found it to be ...eh

A couple of songs I loved, though...does that mean the rest are clunkers, or do I need to listen to them more? confused13.gif

I saw them live a couple of years ago on the Omega tour and thought they were great.

Now listening through the first album which I have enjoyed before.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im almost through the album "Astra". Pretty good! I enjoyed the THX audio logo at the start of Countdown to Zero laugh.gif

Ooo i like the synth part in Suspicion! Reminds me of the Sandopolis Zone music in Sonic & Knuckles laugh.gif

Edited by Tarkus406

I saw them when they toured with Yes and Steve Howe was playing in both bands. It was a really good show. I think Asia live in the 2000s is better than Asia on record in the 1980s, but they did manage to create a few really good songs on each album.

I remember before the first album was released , i thought , Palmer and Howe? How can it go wrong ? It went very wrong. Don't waste you time trying to like Any band .

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 10 2012, 12:22 PM)
I think their first album is a masterpiece. Everything after that...not so much.

Agreed. That first album is aces, but except for a few good songs here and there, nothing else is worth checking out.

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ May 10 2012, 02:23 PM)
"You framed an Asia poster? How hard did the people at the frame store laugh when you brought this in?"

rofl3.gif

Is it true that if you don't use it... you lose it?

Trying to like ASIA
How easy is it? Do I need more time?

laugh.gif The title of this thread makes it sound like such a horrible chore, like you're an addict trying to get clean. "I'm trying to stay sober, guys. How easy is it? Do I need more time?"

I remember thinking Asia was gonna be great when I found out about them and who's in the group, and then I put on the first album.... and just started laughing. One of my biggest musical disappointments, for sure.

They are ok. Not great but ok.

Like their big hits (Sole Survivor, Don't Cry, Heat of the Moment) a lot. The rest of their stuff is only ok - at best. Its actually been a long time since I pulled out any of their stuff from the 80's and listened to it.

I sort of liked their live album "The Phoenix Tour Live in Cambridge 2009". Not great, don't listen to it that much but its ok.

Basically other than the 3 songs I mentioned I find their work to be forgettable.

Never really got into them although I do have Wildest Dreams and Sole Survivor on my phone.

Sure they were huge with Only Time Will Tell and Heat of The Moment but they just sort of fizzled out and from what I heard after the first record I can see why...They were just never that great.

In answer to the question, if you like what you hear listen to it.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ May 10 2012, 02:35 PM)
"You framed an Asia poster? How hard did the people at the frame store laugh when you brought this in?"

rofl3.gif

I'm very discreet... but I will haunt your dreams.

Edited by ILSnwdog

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 10 2012, 07:11 PM)

rofl3.gif

Mooj: Hey Andy, don't let him bother you. It's okay not to have sex. Not eveybody's a pussy magnet. You, uh, what are you, 25?

Andy Stitzer: I'm 40.

Mooj: Holy shit, man, you got to get on that!

Bought the first album when it first came out. It was OK, when compared with most of the crap that came out in the 80s, but I never even bought it on CD...if that tells you anything.

The first album was their best effort and it has no staying power. It aged very badly. I haven't even tried to listen to it in over a decade.

Edited by tjtull

You know, if you forget that this was a supergroup full of prog heroes, it was good for what it was. The first album had some great songs. Songs. This is a songs band and not a players band. As far as Alpha, the best moment is Open Your Eyes, especially the outro solo. I wish they never cut that off.

As far as Astra was concerned, when Wetton said "get up and go!", I got up and went.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 10 2012, 07:50 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 10 2012, 07:11 PM)

rofl3.gif

Mooj: Hey Andy, don't let him bother you. It's okay not to have sex. Not eveybody's a pussy magnet. You, uh, what are you, 25?

Andy Stitzer: I'm 40.

Mooj: Holy shit, man, you got to get on that!

"I gotta tell you something. I'm really excited about it. Uh, for the first time today, I woke up, I came to the store, and I feel confident to say to you that if you don't take this Michael McDonald DVD that you've been playing for two years straight off, I'm going to kill everyone in the store and put a bullet in my brain!" rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 10 2012, 08:07 PM)
Prog musicians going pop... 062802puke_prv.gif

That doesn't always turn out so bad wub.gif http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/90125album.jpg