Which of the "Big 10" should be retired this tour?

Which of the following would you be totally fine with NOT hearing on the upcoming tour?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following would you be totally fine with NOT hearing on the upcoming tour?

• Working Man
    • La Villa Strangiato
    • The Spirit of Radio
    • Freewill
    • Tom Sawyer
    • Red Barchetta
    • YYZ
    • Limelight
    • Subdivisions

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 8 2012, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (That One Guy @ May 8 2012, 02:21 PM)
I've only been to two shows.... I greatly enjoyed hearing all those songs.

If they played all ten again on this tour I would not be annoyed... That's IF I make it to this tour.. ;(

Exactly my point....the marginal sometimes fan would not be happy if these were retired. Keep in mind a big chunk of the audience ONLY knows these 10 songs and a few others and that's what they're there for.

Okay, but think about that for a minute. Would a "marginal" fan even notice if one of these songs was omitted? It's a 3 hour show and there's 10 songs listed - ALL of which have been dropped at one point or another except for Tom Sawyer.

Which is why I voted for Tom Sawyer.

And to the other posters who are soooo concerned about the enjoyment of the casual or marginal fans... are they more important than us die-hards? Who do you think is buying their albums? Who buys $300-500 worth of merchandise at every concert? Who is buying the CD, vinyl, MVI, DVD-Audio, *and* iTunes download every time? The die-hards are the people keeping this band in business.

Forget the casual fan. Throw them a couple of bones. The band does not need to pad the entire set with nothing but the most recognizable tunes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Barchetta having 6 votes is offending. One of their all time best....all the time every tour for all I care.

LOL

Working Man.....shelve it.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 8 2012, 02:18 PM)
Working Man!

I was THRILLED to hear it on the VT tour but it's been back long enough!
Give me Finding My Way/In The Mood for the encore closer and I'll be happier than a pig in poop.

x1000. goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ May 8 2012, 03:28 PM)
Surprisingly, part of me wants to vote for La Villa (even though I voted for Tom Sawyer) just because they aren't capable of doing it justice anymore. They really are playing it quite awfully and profaning the name of the original.

cool10.gif

In Order, i believe these songs have a very good chance of not appearing this tour;

1) Red Barchetta

2) La Villa Strangiato

3) Working Man

Red Barchetta, while my favourite from Moving Pictures, has done it's time in the live setting, at least for now. And i think Rush may also agree.

La Villa Strangiato is an awesome little jam and i believe they like playing around with it every night. but if it came down to it, this one should make room for another song around the same length (Jacobs Ladder, perhaps?)

Working Man. because of the documentary, and i believe they are still ridding a wave of popularity from that, they may not retire this one so soon. It being their first hit in the US, its nice to put this one in their set as a homage to their past. they also like playing around with the reggae stuff in this one, and that middle section is fun to watch. that being said, it could take a break, at least for the first leg.

Edited by Dylan2712

QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 8 2012, 01:53 PM)
Where's the 'none of the above' option, for those who are going to their first show.. or for those who aren't sick to death of any of these songs. Anyone who's sick to death maybe should consider not seeing Rush live anymore.

Oh, I know, I'm not playing along. Oh well.. sorry for your embarrassment of riches.

goodpost.gif

I'm in complete agreement here. If you're tired of the songs listed in the poll, why would you bother spending the money on a ticket knowing full well you're gonna have to sit through at least 7 or 8 of those songs yet again? I'll be seeing them for the ninth time in October and the only song i'm a little tired of is Tom Sawyer but that has more to do with how it's been overplayed on the radio through the years not how much i've seen it live.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 9 2012, 09:21 AM)
Where's the 'none of the above' option, for those who are going to their first show.. or for those who aren't sick to death of any of these songs. Anyone who's sick to death maybe should consider not seeing Rush live anymore.

Oh, I know, I'm not playing along. Oh well.. sorry for your embarrassment of riches.

goodpost.gif

I'm in complete agreement here. If you're tired of the songs listed in the poll, why would you bother spending the money on a ticket knowing full well you're gonna have to sit through at least 7 or 8 of those songs yet again? I'll be seeing them for the ninth time in October and the only song i'm a little tired of is Tom Sawyer but that has more to do with how it's been overplayed on the radio through the years not how much i've seen it live.

laugh.gif

Um...I don't think anyone is questioning how great these songs are. Most people here absolutely love all of these songs.

The question is simply about which one of these, we'd be most okay with NOT seeing on the next tour.

I'm okay with seeing them all too...but if the boys asked me, 'would you rather watch us play The Spirit of Radio (again) or Cut To The Chase (which we've never played)?', which do you think I would choose?

Easily CTTC. I'd definitely love to see some of these staples put aside for more obscure tunes...you're damn right!

But that doesn't mean that the concert still isn't worth going to, just because they play these awesome (staple) songs. It's always worth it IMO.

Tom Sawyer!! I'm tired of it!! There are much better sings than this!! It seems to mainstream to me. I mean I never hear Cinderella Man or Bastille Day. It's time for a change, a BIG change.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 9 2012, 07:21 AM)

goodpost.gif

Because that only accounts for 1/4th - 1/3rd of the show. The remainder, the vast majority of it, will be things not on this list.

QUOTE (default236 @ May 9 2012, 08:53 AM)
Tom Sawyer!! I'm tired of it!! There are much better sings than this!! It seems to mainstream to me. I mean I never hear Cinderella Man or Bastille Day. It's time for a change, a BIG change.

I think Geddy could still sing Cinderella Man. That song isn't too far out of the vocal range he has today. But there's no way Bastille Day will ever been played again. Even if they down tune the song to try and fit his voice now it would just sound too odd, just like how Circumstances sounded a bit strange on the S&A tour. Bastille Day would sound even stranger than that.

Looking at the list, my only hope is that something from Clockwork Angels will be good enough to end Rush's 30-year drought of creating songs worthy of consideration for "The Big 10" tongue.gif

That being said, I voted for "Tom Sawyer". Someone in another thread made the humorous observation that Rush could release an entire "Tom Sawyer Live!" CD. That says it all.

I like the song, I'm just tired of hearing it.

SoR, Freewill, Tom Saywer, Red Barchetta, Limelight. Subdivisions. Yeah, I know that's more than 1 tongue.gif It would nice if they would re-vamp the entire setlist and play songs either 1. never played live, or 2. songs not played the last 15 years.

They will not be touring forever and with 20 studio albums I think it's about time to change it up in a major way!

QUOTE (Alchemical @ May 8 2012, 01:05 PM)
Which of RUSH's more overplayed popular songs are you sick to death of hearing live?

Do they ever play La Villa back-to-back?

It's one of my favorites, the song that got me devoted to RUSH when I heard it on a cassette player at summer camp in Maine.

But, I'd rather them break out Xanadu and By-Tor.