OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 18 2012, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 18 2012, 12:43 PM)
rage.gif

Terrible time to be stuck on a conference call!!!

Still haven't heard it... sad.gif

The song is very 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif with quite a bit of 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif and huge amount of 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

trink38.gif

So you're saying it's 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif ?

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 18 2012, 11:51 AM)
That modulated/distorted vocal kind of is reminiscent of Porcupine Tree's like-section in the song Shallow.

First thing I thought of as well... Although most people do not know what a Porcupine Tree is.

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 18 2012, 11:51 AM)
That modulated/distorted vocal kind of is reminiscent of Porcupine Tree's like-section in the song Shallow.

First thing I thought of as well... Although most people do not know what a Porcupine Tree is.

It's a tree where a porcupine lives.....Duh! wink.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 18 2012, 12:58 PM)
HOLY CRAP!

170 User(s) are reading this topic (78 Guests and 3 Anonymous Users): ILSnwdog, Godeater2112, Draco, Albone2112, johndyar, snowdogged, mstmompj, Xanadoood, trenken, Khan, HemispheresserehpsimeH, ReflectedLight, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, Merely Space, SlackJaw Gazer, FeelingUnlimited, canadianice, Sticklight, Snaked, hunter, Unobtrusive Companion, helix, presto123, apetersvt, Hemispheric Waves, MULTIPLIED REACTION, CrossedSignals, treeduck, skalamander2112, DistantEarlyRushFan, gornhay, Queen of Megadon, bigman208, Mara, 2112rush, GUP1771, Tony R, third hand grace, rushjoe, koobie, Zanadoo, woodring2112, tjtull, Lerxster, Presto-digitation, iluvgeddy05, Animate, vital signz, Tigershark2112, lifeson90, ghostrider2112x1, rushfr:CP, sullysue, RUSHFREAK101, udanax, gedfan, Rushman14, EmotionDetector, druid13, worthog, onthebeam, Tai Shan, Mr. Henry Gale, YYZrocks, ioc, movinghemispheres, brunosamppa, Strangiato, A rocket that ignites itself, Slack jaw gaze, StarTaker, quantex, soycd, greg2112, snowdog2112, Del_Duio, Signals '83, Motorshooter, Boyd, Itty12, vespa2112, cygnify, Hatchetaxe&saw, mezhbz2112, Gompers, Powderfinger, Disco, SlyJeff, driventotheedge

I don't think I've ever seen 170 users in one thread at a time! laugh.gif

Agreed!! Out of control

QUOTE (udanax @ Apr 18 2012, 01:00 PM)
Okay, well, I've gotta agree with Goobs on this one.... Not melodic, not progressive, no interesting use of cadence... The timbre and guitar solo are nice and it's technically challenging to play to an extent. I might be turning into a nit picky music snob now, but I'm a tonal music theory stickler and I'm going to start composing soon. I definitely know what I would personally make changes with here. It's not bad, but it's not strongly memorable either. Maybe a few more listens will change my mind.

Careful now, you're expressing an opinion, which is not welcome here. Only positive opinions allowed here.

I agree with you, after 3 listens to me its just crap except for some cool playing here and there, but that must mean we are just negative people, even though there is a ton of Rush I love. lulz

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 18 2012, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 18 2012, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 18 2012, 12:43 PM)
rage.gif

Terrible time to be stuck on a conference call!!!

Still haven't heard it... sad.gif

The song is very 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif with quite a bit of 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif and huge amount of 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

trink38.gif

So you're saying it's 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif ?

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I couldn't agree more Ducky!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (Hemispheric Waves @ Apr 18 2012, 12:55 PM)
As expected, I didn't get off the first page before the complaints started rolling in.

Opinions. Deal with it or turn your computer off. You dont live in a world where everyone has to like the same shit. Rush fans are hilariously biased and delusional.

And he was just expressing HIS opinion about the posts in this thread. See how this message board stuff works? wink.gif

It is a the best advance single they have had in decades . I think Rush is finally over trying to make radio friendly music . And by that I mean being the power Police . I have been waiting decades myself for Rush to record music like this again and I am glad they did . It might make up for that disaster SnA. I have to hear the whole body of work to be sure. I might be biased but if you put this up against Van Halen's Tattoo as a advance single this song blows it away. Just wanted to say that . I might take some heat for this remark but it kinda sounds like it could of been on VT. wub.gif It is a solid effort and kudos to the band for getting it right this time .

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 18 2012, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 18 2012, 11:47 AM)
My reaction to this is way stronger and positive than that compared to Caravan and BU2B - I can certainly say that.

same here.

Agree.

BU2B is still the most straight forward and simplest. Nothing wrong with that. Most accessible. Catchiest.

Caravan is the toughest to map out because it wanders hither and yon. Very playful and eratic (not meant as an insult either). Caravan you have to throw a lasso around after a bit.

Headlong Flight is the most complex and rich, yet it always stays close to the axis of the song, even when it strays.

I sense some possible Beatles inspiration during the following part:

I( or I'll) stroke the fire of the big steel wheels

Steer the airship right across the stars

I learned to fight, I learned to love, and learned to feel

Oh i wish that i could live it all again

The vocal melody almost sounds a little I Am The Walrus-ish??

Also, that guitar solo. Man oh man, THAT guitar solo!!! Alex hit it out of the park!! 1022.gif

I like it. About time they made an up tempo song.

Does anyone hear something kinda Beatlesque around the 2:10 and again around 3:30 mark...Sounds a little like I Am The Walrus.?

Who's that guy on bass? He's pretty good. wink.gif

Kinda hard to to really give a full review after just one listen but I like it just 'cuz it's harder than anything they've done in years.

5:00 sounds like By-Tor.

Great song....Really like it.

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:06 PM)

Also, that guitar solo. Man oh man, THAT guitar solo!!! Alex hit it out of the park!! 1022.gif

Beat me to it!!!! By seconds!!!!

Astonishing,

astounding,

surprising,

stunning,

staggering,

shocking,

startling,

stupefying,

breathtaking,

awesome

sensational,

spectacular,

stupenduous,

phenomenal,

extraordinary,

incredible,

unbelievable.

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Apr 18 2012, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 18 2012, 07:00 PM)
There is bass riff in the intro that sounds like it was pulled directly from Bastille Day!

Yes, the little "dagaladah" thing! laugh.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:06 PM)

Yeah that part has a very kind of early 60s sound to it with the chord progression.

That guitar solo to me was the single best part of the song. It's actually ripping, which at this point I wasnt even sure Alex was capable of writing anymore. It's like a real metal solo, very Kirk Hammett sounding to me. Liked it a lot.

Rush is back!!!

I love the many changes in this song, it has a lot of depth to it

I bet the reason why Geddy's vocals cannot be heard that well is due to the fact that they had to lower the quality of the recording in order to get it to play smoothly on the player, so worry not I bet it will be better once we get a better quality version of it

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 18 2012, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 18 2012, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 18 2012, 11:47 AM)
My reaction to this is way stronger and positive than that compared to Caravan and BU2B - I can certainly say that.

same here.

Agree.

BU2B is still the most straight forward and simplest. Nothing wrong with that. Most accessible. Catchiest.

Caravan is the toughest to map out because it wanders hither and yon. Very playful and eratic (not meant as an insult either). Caravan you have to throw a lasso around after a bit.

Headlong Flight is the most complex and rich, yet it always stays close to the axis of the song, even when it strays.

Agreed on all counts.