OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 18 2012, 10:57 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 18 2012, 11:47 AM)
My reaction to this is way stronger and positive than that compared to Caravan and BU2B - I can certainly say that.

same here.

The lyrics are more inspiring than Caravan, thankfully, and they're WAYYYY better than BU2B...

i'll drink to that. trink38.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (udanax @ Apr 18 2012, 01:00 PM)
Okay, well, I've gotta agree with Goobs on this one.... Not melodic, not progressive, no interesting use of cadence... The timbre and guitar solo are nice and it's technically challenging to play to an extent. I might be turning into a nit picky music snob now, but I'm a tonal music theory stickler and I'm going to start composing soon. I definitely know what I would personally make changes with here. It's not bad, but it's not strongly memorable either.  Maybe a few more listens will change my mind.

Careful now, you're expressing an opinion, which is not welcome here. Only positive opinions allowed here.

I agree with you, after 3 listens to me its just crap except for some cool playing here and there, but that must mean we are just negative people, even though there is a ton of Rush I love. lulz

Again, the lossless release will tell the true tale. The dynamic range seems a bit compromised, but there is definitely intensity on the playing side (way to go Nick!).

This is a song that will have to grow on me. I like it but I am not blown away yet. As is the case with any favorite song by a Prog band, the best always take time to sink in. There is melody present, it is just a little buried within all the superb playing.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 18 2012, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 12:48 PM)
At 5:37-5:47, before the vocals come back in -- sort of a subtle reference to "Main Monkey Business?"

Could be be. I hear what you mean, but they may also be unintentionally borrowing from themselves.

Yeah, remenicent of a MMB transition.

Something about the end of Alex's solo reminds me of something.. Cygnus X-1??

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 12:53 PM)

Songs that arent catchy dont get a lot of radio play. Most people arent impressed by busy playing unless they're musicians. The average listener likes songs that sound good to them and great melodies are what does that.

That was my complain about this song. The vocals are so forgettable.

Not really. This post, however, is entirely forgettable.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (bigman208 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:06 PM)
I sense some possible Beatles inspiration during the following part:

I( or I'll) stroke the fire of the big steel wheels
Steer the airship right across the stars
I learned to fight, I learned to love, and learned to feel
Oh i wish that i could live it all again

The vocal melody almost sounds a little I Am The Walrus-ish??

Also, that guitar solo. Man oh man, THAT guitar solo!!! Alex hit it out of the park!!  1022.gif

Yeah that part has a very kind of early 60s sound to it with the chord progression.

That guitar solo to me was the single best part of the song. It's actually ripping, which at this point I wasnt even sure Alex was capable of writing anymore. It's like a real metal solo, very Kirk Hammett sounding to me. Liked it a lot.

Ugh don't mention that hack Kirk Hammet he HAS to use wah wah to make his solos listenable, and he can't even play his own riffs without Hetfield giving him instructions...

My first impression on first listen is that musically i'm really excited about where this album has gone.

I'm not sure if it's heretical to say but in the last few albums i've found the singing to be a bit of a turn off, i'd prefer these to be instruments if i'm honest.

However, that is on first listen, i'm going to give it many more listens.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 18 2012, 01:13 PM)

Songs that arent catchy dont get a lot of radio play. Most people arent impressed by busy playing unless they're musicians. The average listener likes songs that sound good to them and great melodies are what does that.

You're right, noone likes good melodies these days.

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:06 PM)
I sense some possible Beatles inspiration during the following part:

I( or I'll) stroke the fire of the big steel wheels
Steer the airship right across the stars
I learned to fight, I learned to love, and learned to feel
Oh i wish that i could live it all again

The vocal melody almost sounds a little I Am The Walrus-ish??

Also, that guitar solo. Man oh man, THAT guitar solo!!! Alex hit it out of the park!! 1022.gif

Goo goo gachooo!

If I play this another 20 times, it will be time to go home from work.

AAAAIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Apr 18 2012, 01:04 PM)
Did anyone else notice the mistake on the stream player from RS?  It said the record label is Atlantic Records!  And I thought it was weird that it was not using the new graphics that we've seen for the single and the album.

Yeah I let Jeremy @ RoadRunner know it's wrong label plus the Caravan graphics. He's looking into having it fixed.

trink39.gif

Well they fixed the graphics, but it still says "Atlantic Records". F'n RS.....

Holy crap, this place is a madhouse! ohmy.gif

First impression: it rocks! Great energy and flow. Even with the low quality audio-stream the guitar, bass, and drums sound very well-balanced.

That opening repeated guitar/bass riff is awesome: very rocking and very tuneful. I was a bit disappointed when the vocals came in. They don't have the same natural feel and melodic ease as that opening riff. Still, Geddy's voice sounds great.

I get the impression that the vocal part was worked into the music after the fact, because the two don't mesh incredibly well, but I could be wrong.

That intuitive, natural sense of melody they found on Vapor Trails and lost on Snakes & Arrows still seems to be missing. However, they've definitely rediscovered what it means to rock! 1022.gif

Not my favorite Rush song by a long shot, but it's a solid tune, and I'm pumped as heck for the tour. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 18 2012, 01:13 PM)

You're right, noone likes good melodies these days.

You could say the same about The Mars Volta and even Radiohead...I cant understand a damn word they are saying half the time, but the music is interesting. That's really all that matters for me..this isn't Adele we are talking about smile.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (Draco @ Apr 18 2012, 01:17 PM)
Geddy's vocals?  Ok in parts, but overall, meh.  Just not doing it for me this time.

You're in trouble!

Mind you, this is with crappy computer speakers at a very low volume. If I cranked it too loud, the lady on the other side of the wall would be knocking on my office door again telling me to turn that crap down! laugh.gif

But yeah. After the first two listens, incredible playing, but less than stellar vocals. Maybe tonight after a proper listen, I might have a change of mind...

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (Draco @ Apr 18 2012, 01:17 PM)
Geddy's vocals?  Ok in parts, but overall, meh.  Just not doing it for me this time.

You're in trouble!

I wish you would consider giving it a bit of a rest instead of acting like a martyr. It's easy being a negative shithead, but is it really necessary on one of the most exciting days fo the year for the RUSH community.

This tracks KILLS IT. I hope it grows on you!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif