OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Apr 21 2012, 07:22 PM)
Whew! Finally caught up with this thread!

I was actually on another band's messageboard Wednesday night and noticed somebody'd posted in a thread about Rush. The post had the leaked tourdates and a link to Headlong Flight on RollingStone.com. Thinking it was just the 30-second clip, since the song wasn't supposed to debut until Thursday, I clicked on it and soon went "Holy ****, this is the whole song! So yeah, I'm a traitor, and I'm not going to forget where I first heard it! blush4.gif

So what do I think? I love it! Geddy's voice sounds beautiful to my ears, and like many here, I've had it in my head a lot since I first heard it, so it's catchy enough for me. I love the crisp bass over the distorted guitar. The change two minutes in keeps things interesting. The lyrics are very positive, and while I initially got an impression they're starting to tell us goodbye, on further thought, I can amend this to "their career is so long and storied, they're naturally going to be reflective". Many even earlier songs (TSS for example) have had this same quality.

The 30-second clip had a "Driven" feel to me, but I got a bit of Earthshine out of the full song. Did any of you who heard them practicing some potentially new music in soundcheck on the TM tour hear any of it in HF?

Lastly, given the song's original title, who thinks there'll be audience members wearing lampshade hats (or just lampshades) during this song on the CA tour? laugh.gif

Lampshade Hats? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 21 2012, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Apr 21 2012, 07:22 PM)
Whew! Finally caught up with this thread!

I was actually on another band's messageboard Wednesday night and noticed somebody'd posted in a thread about Rush. The post had the leaked tourdates and a link to Headlong Flight on RollingStone.com. Thinking it was just the 30-second clip, since the song wasn't supposed to debut until Thursday, I clicked on it and soon went "Holy ****, this is the whole song! So yeah, I'm a traitor, and I'm not going to forget where I first heard it! blush4.gif

So what do I think? I love it! Geddy's voice sounds beautiful to my ears, and like many here, I've had it in my head a lot since I first heard it, so it's catchy enough for me. I love the crisp bass over the distorted guitar. The change two minutes in keeps things interesting. The lyrics are very positive, and while I initially got an impression they're starting to tell us goodbye, on further thought, I can amend this to "their career is so long and storied, they're naturally going to be reflective". Many even earlier songs (TSS for example) have had this same quality.

The 30-second clip had a "Driven" feel to me, but I got a bit of Earthshine out of the full song. Did any of you who heard them practicing some potentially new music in soundcheck on the TM tour hear any of it in HF?

Lastly, given the song's original title, who thinks there'll be audience members wearing lampshade hats (or just lampshades) during this song on the CA tour? laugh.gif

Lampshade Hats? unsure.gif

http://www.immortalhumans.com/wp-content/uploads/3789791-a-drunk-man-wearing-a-lamp-shade-on-his-head.jpg

Orgasm, but where's to Rush and why to hurry ?

I'm not sure at all about the DW snare and why not to broaden the specrum of music and back to 70's is the only way, I'm not sure about that. I need more space and time between Geddy and Alex, solo's space and time. Some mystic and freewill. Go RUSH. I love U smile.gif

Headlong Flight is a full on audio assault. Though I had ( and still have ) no issues with Snakes and Arrows, Headlong Flight makes everything on Snakes and Arrows sound like Folk music by comparison. Edited by Phantom

QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 21 2012, 08:49 PM)
Headlong Flight is a full on audio assault. Though I had ( and still have ) no issues with Snakes and Arrows, Headlong Flight makes everything on Snakes and Arrows sound like Folk music by comparison.

laugh.gif

That is one way of putting it.

Hey buddy! Nice to see you in these parts bekloppt.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 21 2012, 09:49 PM)
Headlong Flight is a full on audio assault. Though I had ( and still have ) no issues with Snakes and Arrows, Headlong Flight makes everything on Snakes and Arrows sound like Folk music by comparison.

SnA sounds like Folk without any comparisons. That's one of the reasons it's way down on my list of fav Rush records. Geddy and Neil are back to playing like they did in their 20's on this record so far.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 21 2012, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Apr 21 2012, 07:04 PM)
After more listens I think its great! With BU2B and Caravan I think were in for at least an average album  2.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

Average? All three songs sound way above average to these ears.

IMO, HF and BU2B are both average Rush songs (but both excellent songs) and Caravan is above average for a Rush song. We all have our tastes, but I think calling a song average Rush is not a put down because average Rush is better than 99% of other bands best material.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 21 2012, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 21 2012, 08:49 PM)

laugh.gif

That is one way of putting it.

Hey buddy! Nice to see you in these parts bekloppt.gif

tongue.gif

Having listening to HLF about 300 times already, it's the only way I could think of to describe the differences between it and the tunes on snakes.

Good to see you too tree! Pens are battling !!!!!!!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 21 2012, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 21 2012, 09:49 PM)

SnA sounds like Folk without any comparisons. That's one of the reasons it's way down on my list of fav Rush records. Geddy and Neil are back to playing like they did in their 20's on this record so far.

I agree Snakes and Arrows needs more energetic songs like MalNar and Far Cry, but it's still in my top 5:

Tier 1: Power Windows, Moving Pictures

Tier 2: Hemispheres, Snakes and Arrows, Permanent Waves

Tier 3: Counterparts, Vapor Trails, Signals

If the rest of Clockwork Angels is as good as what we've heard so far, it'll be in my Tier 1.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 22 2012, 05:43 AM)
We all have our tastes

Yep. You like Carvan better than the other two, but I prefer Headlong Flight and BU2B.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 20 2012, 06:46 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 20 2012, 05:55 PM)
I find the Chorus ... The big steel wheel part..to be a bit out of place. I think the riff Alex lays down to be really cool, and geddy sounds great... The verses fit nicely together , but that chorus does stick out as being a tad clumsy...

Overall I like it and  it's cool hearing them Rock out this much  1022.gif

Are you talking about how the song goes from a harder edge to something more kind of rock n roll/almost S&A sounding? If so then yeah I agree. It doesn't flow well to me.

They've mixed very different parts in the past, but they usually had the same sort of feel so they flow well. Like Force Ten, has the uptempo verses, then goes to a quiet chorus, but that works much better to me.

Yeah it doesn't flow all that smoothly IMO. But again, overall I like the song as a whole . The verse sections and geddys playing sound cool.

If I had to offer one bit of constructive criticism, it would be that there are a couple points where it doesn't quite have the flow of a unified song. Sort of piece-worked together.

But it is so blistering, and such an adrenaline drive, that it makes the flow almost insignificant to me.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Apr 20 2012, 05:58 AM)
well, this just slays BU2B and Caravan. I hope the rest of the album is as good as this. Best thing I've heard from Rush in I don't know how long.

Totally different songs. Which is a great great sign and something I have always come to expect of Rush. It is hwat makes them the best rock band ever.

They know how to garner different moods, colors, shapes and sizes within their albums.

The song is no doubt coming more and more together for me with repeated listens, and I can say I like it more today than two days ago.

I love the lyrics. I can tell we are going to get a visual journey of fame, fortune and piracy. This will be a nice return to the concept album for Rush. Something we really have not had since Roll the Bones (as far a really good consistent theme well written) but more in the vein of Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres. The Sci-fi fantasy element is returning.

The entire album is going to be so special.

I pre-orderd the double 180 grain vinyl with the gatefold sleeve! My virgin listen will be on headphones with the CD and vinyl.

I can't wait!

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 21 2012, 04:11 PM)
After a few more listens, I'll be honest this song isn't really doing it for me. The slow chorus doesn't flow too well, and the vocal lines don't stand out much at all throughout the song....the solo is good, and their are some cool bass and drum moments....

I am shocked dude...you're usually really positive and have nothing but good things to say about Rush

A few more listens and a few more days later and my opinion so far remains relatively unchanged - a very good song that might be a great song, but I haven't upgraded it quite that far yet.

I guess it's melodic enough, even though I'd prefer more melody. I do wish the song had more room to breathe as Rush songs have been very highly structured and arguably even constricted in recent years, but still it sounds so cool and the playing is so top notch that I can mostly overlook that fact. It does kind of come at you like a freight train, something they've done a lot of in the last few albums, and I wish it had a little more subtlety, a little more light and shade.

And thankfully Alex has a solo. I don't think it's as incredible as some do, but it's very cool. At first I was like wah-wah? That's kind of been a bit overdone, I mean not by Alex, but in general. Thankfully towards the end of the solo he goes a little bit crazy and then it becomes a great solo if a short one - not one of his best ever by a very long shot, but cool.

Lyrically it's a great song - certainly a good step above Caravan and several steps above BU2B.

I'm wanting to completely fall in love with the song, but it hasn't happened yet. Still, I've listened to it 10-15 times and sincerely enjoy it each time, so that's something. I'm still hoping for 2 or 3 songs that completely blow me away on the album...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2012, 10:27 AM)
A few more listens and a few more days later and my opinion so far remains relatively unchanged - a very good song that might be a great song, but I haven't upgraded it quite that far yet.

I guess it's melodic enough, even though I'd prefer more melody. I do wish the song had more room to breathe as Rush songs have been very highly structured and arguably even constricted in recent years, but still it sounds so cool and the playing is so top notch that I can mostly overlook that fact. It does kind of come at you like a freight train, something they've done a lot of in the last few albums, and I wish it had a little more subtlety, a little more light and shade.

And thankfully Alex has a solo. I don't think it's as incredible as some do, but it's very cool. At first I was like wah-wah? That's kind of been a bit overdone, I mean not by Alex, but in general. Thankfully towards the end of the solo he goes a little bit crazy and then it becomes a great solo if a short one - not one of his best ever by a very long shot, but cool.

Lyrically it's a great song - certainly a good step above Caravan and several steps above BU2B.

I'm wanting to completely fall in love with the song, but it hasn't happened yet. Still, I've listened to it 10-15 times and sincerely enjoy it each time, so that's something. I'm still hoping for 2 or 3 songs that completely blow me away on the album...

Basically, you still have Hope!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

AWESOME!!!!..What a great ROCKIN' tune!

This song is gonna flat out kick SERIOUS A*S in concert,

especially the wah-wah part and solo. The band is clickin' on all cylinders!

Geddy's vocals and Neil's drum's are PURE POWER.

It has so much energy and power..reminds me of the the past.

Elements of 70's hard rock, along with 90's/2000's alternative.

There ain't no 80's synths in this one, that's for sure.

Long live RUSH!!!!!! They are FAR from callin' it quits.

I see 3 more LP's and a live atleast, in their future..for sure. yes.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 22 2012, 10:18 AM)
After a few more listens, I'll be honest this song isn't really doing it for me. The slow chorus doesn't flow too well, and the vocal lines don't stand out much at all throughout the song....the solo is good, and their are some cool bass and drum moments....

I am shocked dude...you're usually really positive and have nothing but good things to say about Rush

laugh.gif

QUOTE (shail @ Apr 22 2012, 08:59 AM)
The song sounds like 60 year old prog rock guys giving it their last shot. it's an ok tune. Nothing to write home about.

yeah, they even sound older than they actually are sarcasm.gif

It's his nature to naturally be a cynical curmudgeon. wink.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2012, 02:29 PM)

It's his nature to naturally be a cynical curmudgeon. wink.gif

Nice little edit schla03.gif

Edited by WCFIELDS