OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

Actually a good example is the middle bridge section of armor and sword, that uses minor chords. Now it doesnt sound that heavy because what Neil is doing is pretty toned down, but picture that section if he ramped up the drums. Mix that in with those minor chords and suddenly it would really sound heavy, right up there with stuff Metallica does.

Ok now that I've listened to the song about 10 times I can honestly say I LOVE IT!! I haven't loved everything that they've ever done but this song is sooo catchy! I can't stop singing it today and that hasn't happened for me with a Rush song for long time!

When I first listened I was kind of in agreement with some on this board about the lyrics not gelling with the heavy music but now after i watched the video a few times I started to get it. I love the message Neil is sending out and I really dig the way it comes together now for me. Lines like I have stoked the fires of the big steel wheels keep coming out of my mouth in song all day at work. I love Some Days are Dark- I wish I could live them all again-Some nights are bright the guitar is so awesome during that part! Alex's use of the wah wah throughout the song is so awesome.

Wow it's nice to be excited about a Rush song again!!!

QUOTE (Digitallware @ Apr 19 2012, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 19 2012, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 18 2012, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 18 2012, 10:28 PM)
anyone have the link to the cd quality version?

Best sounding one I've heard yet right here

Thanks for posting - I agree.

I would listen to the official one, it probably is better quality

Yes - I agree. Having listened to what is on their website totally agree.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 06:06 PM)
Im not sure that heavy is the right word. Metallica sounds heavy to me, their latest album. They use a lot of minor and dissonant chords, but Rush never did that much. They did on Cygnus X-1, which really makes the end of that sound heavy. They dont have much that sounds as heavy and relentless as that does, and a big reason why is the minor chords they use in that song.

Now they mostly stick to major chords, but play them with a harder edge, more driving drums that ride on the cymbals, like you hear at the beginning of BU2B, but I wouldnt personally call that heavy.

Similar to VT they're just really into this wall of sound feel now, so it makes them sound completely different than they did on their well known albums.

I hear a lot of minor chords in a lot of Rush songs both recent and new. Bu2b has some great minor chord progs in the chorus, for exmple.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 19 2012, 06:29 PM)
Im not sure that heavy is the right word. Metallica sounds heavy to me, their latest album. They use a lot of minor and dissonant chords, but Rush never did that much. They did on Cygnus X-1, which really makes the end of that sound heavy. They dont have much that sounds as heavy and relentless as that does, and a big reason why is the minor chords they use in that song.

Now they mostly stick to major chords, but play them with a harder edge, more driving drums that ride on the cymbals, like you hear at the beginning of BU2B, but I wouldnt personally call that heavy.

Similar to VT they're just really into this wall of sound feel now, so it makes them sound completely different than they did on their well known albums.

I hear a lot of minor chords in a lot of Rush songs both recent and new. Bu2b has some great minor chord progs in the chorus, for exmple.

Yes they do it here and there but they dont usually write songs around them, not even entire sections usually. There's 1 in the chorus of Caravan too.

I just cant say HF is hard at all when I listen to stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7eRiAnZt24#t=01m08s

That mostly uses major chords but just their style makes it sound very heavy since they use heavier patterns and mix in weird off key notes here and there. Rush just doesnt do that so even when they play hard it rarely actually sounds very hard.

The other thing too is how James always tries to follow the beat to create a strong flow when singing, and Geddy doesnt do that too much these days either.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 06:38 PM)

Yes they do it here and there but they dont usually write songs around them, not even entire sections usually. There's 1 in the chorus of Caravan too.

That mostly uses major chords but just their style makes it sound very heavy since they use heavier patterns and mix in weird off key notes here and there. Rush just doesnt do that so even when they play hard it rarely actually sounds very hard.

The other thing too is how James always tries to follow the beat to create a strong flow when singing, and Geddy doesnt do that too much these days either.

Can you please stop using Metallica as your Heavy reference point?

Thanks.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 19 2012, 07:12 PM)

Thanks.

No I dont think I will. They're fans of Rush, Rush are fans of them, both with great respect for each other, and there are no bigger heavier bands in the existence of music, so I think I'll keep right on bringing them up if I choose. Noone cares if you don't like them.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 19 2012, 07:27 PM)
QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Apr 18 2012, 11:54 AM)
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exc...flight-20120418

This song is f***ing awesome.

That is all.

Oh, come ON!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

You just GOTTA come up with something argumentative, adversarial, critical,....anything to provoke some sort of disagreement over this new song......come ON!!! Stop being so f***ing positive.....

tongue.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 19 2012, 07:30 PM)

That is all.

You just GOTTA come up with something argumentative, adversarial, critical,....anything to provoke some sort of disagreement over this new song......come ON!!! Stop being so f***ing positive.....

tongue.gif tongue.gif

Yeah, come on! You are a Rush fan! You are not allowed to just straight away like a new Rush song without sounding controversial and over analyzing! Csnt you bitch sbout something??? eh.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 19 2012, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 19 2012, 07:30 PM)

That is all.

tongue.gif tongue.gif

Yeah, come on! You are a Rush fan! You are not allowed to just straight away like a new Rush song without sounding controversial and over analyzing! Csnt you bitch sbout something??? eh.gif

That lerxt1990 guy is a pain in the ass! rage.gif

I made it through to page 22 before jumping in, so apologies if this has been mentioned somewhere between pages 23 and here but...

I'm pretty sure that the playing from 3:54 through 412 is illegal in some states.... 4:33 through 4:50 too.

Edited by Phantom

The playing is another clinic put on by Rush-- Another bitch slap by three guys approaching 60...... But I have to admit, the vocals so far seem a little forced. I think I would have liked this one better as an instrumental.

Still, it's freaking Rush and it's the best thing realeased since the last Rush release.

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Apr 18 2012, 11:37 PM)
Not too bad. Will take time to digest. Would like to hear them get rid of that Cheesy Geddy vocal layering, he is the type of singer that should not do this. Sounds better when it is just his one voice.

Interesting... I can't stand the silly vocal choruses (used on songs like Show Don't Tell, Superconductor, Face Up, Stick It Out, etc), but I like the layered Geddy vocals (on some of their more recent stuff).

I even prefer the studio version of Far Cry partly because they used more layered vocals than when they play it live.

QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 19 2012, 07:42 PM)
I made it through to page 22 before jumping in, so apologies if this has been mentioned somewhere between pages 23 and here but...

I'm pretty sure that the playing from 3:54 through 412 is illegal in some states.... 4:33 through 4:50 too.

Yep:

QUOTE (deslock @ Apr 18 2012, 10:43 PM)
On a side note, parts of the Headlong Flight (listen to 4:00 and 4:40) sound very similar to Foo Fighters recent song "Bridge Burning" (which was recorded in 2010 and released in 2011, but interestingly enough that's one of the Foo Fighters album that wasn't done with Nick Raskulinecz).

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 19 2012, 07:12 PM)

Thanks.

No I dont think I will. They're fans of Rush, Rush are fans of them, both with great respect for each other, and there are no bigger heavier bands in the existence of music, so I think I'll keep right on bringing them up if I choose. Noone cares if you don't like them.

I was half joking. I actually like 80s Metallica, but there are so many other bands that I would put above them in the heavy riffing category.

Edited by Xanadoood

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 04:06 PM)

on the contrary, there's nothing NOT heavy about this track.

QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 19 2012, 07:22 PM)
Led Zeppelin is the correct reference point for all things related to heavy music: hard rock, metal or otherwise.

......................Black Sabbath biggrin.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 19 2012, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 04:30 PM)
Almost like proggy grunge.

Why do you say "grunge" I don't hear any grunge in this?

confused13.gif

Yeah, I was struggling for the right way to describe what I was hearing. Maybe Grunge isn't it. It's Alex's sound these days that is bugging me. I am not a guitar expert so I don't know the correct way to describe it but he seems to like this "heavy", distorted sound ever since his solo album. What bugs me about it most is how it translates to the stage. My 1st Rush show was the 2112 tour. They sounded sooo good in concert back then and really through the 80s. Their concerts these days don't sound as clean and I think it's because of this "heavy", distorted, "grungy" sound Alex is in to. Even the older songs sound "heavier" these days. To me it makes the concerts sound too blown out and all the wonderful subtle stuff gets lost.

Just so you all know, I'm one of those old guys that NEVER says anything bad about my favorite band. This is a first. It's not a huge deal. I love them. I will buy the new record and probably end up loving it. I will see them at least a few times on the tour. I will always support them as long as they want to play! yes.gif

Heard the new song a couple times, and I think it's not bad. Like some others, not a huge fan of the vocal melodies. I hope production is decent, because this version has some serious clipping....

Edit-spelling

Edited by WCFIELDS