From Moving Pictures to Signals

Gedneil Alpeart

I was a small lad between 1981-1982 and not a fan of Rush then, but I wonder had I been, how would I have reacted to Signals when it came out? I'm not sure....

Signals today is one of my fav Rush albums.....but.....

Moving Pictures was a dream album for them.....straight out high octane rockers....full of energy....crunchy, angry.....attitude...full throttle hooks and melodies with high tempo....extremely popular......and this too after PeW...which was another high octane, epic album....

Then, a year and a half later......an album with very different production....laid back, ambient, slower in pace, much more keyboards, soft focus, more nebulous, albeit with some incredible songs.....

If you were a Rush fan back then, how did you react to Signals when it came out? Weer you like WTF? Or, hmmmmm....interesting.....?

I think the difference between MP and Signals is one of the greatest consecutive direction changes from Rush..

How did you like it then versus how you like it now?

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

I remember when it came out. I was fully 100% absolutely locked into Rush-Worship mode. I saw them as larger than life, super-mystics whose music and lyrics sent me into other dimensions of consciousness.....and I ain't exaggeratin'.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Then Signals was released. Subdivisions was AMAZING. The texture and the power of the guitar + synth chords, especially at the end, made me play air guitar and air drums more than 2112 ever did..... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Such glorious thunder!!! The guitar work of Analog Kid blew me away. I could not fathom how Alex could play that fast.....

But then, the next songs told me that something was now different.....not in a bad way, but simply different. Chemistry and Digital Man were definitely something new to consider. The bass playing in Digital Man was incredible. My first experience with The Weapon was one of wonder and confusion. That was the strangest drum beat I had ever heard! New World Man was DEFINITELY different. Many of my friends said that they hated it, as it was so "New Wave". Losing It was really a gear-crunching song; that took a while to appreciate. Countdown, I thought, was awesome. As I was into everything NASA, I loved the tribute to the space shuttle, even though the song was pretty tame. I loved the guitar riff.

Overall, I knew that Signals was fundamentally different than the last few albums, and the Tour was different, too. The Show was scaled down, but I didn't feel cheated at all. At times, it was just the three guys on stage, with a single spot light on each of them, and I thought it was COOL.....

Edited by Workaholic Man

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 16 2012, 08:20 PM)
I remember when it came out. I was fully 100% absolutely locked into Rush-Worship mode. I saw them as larger than life, super-mystics whose music and lyrics sent me into other dimensions of consciousness.....and I ain't exaggeratin'.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Then Signals was released. Subdivisions was AMAZING. The texture and the power of the guitar + synth chords, especially at the end, made me play air guitar and air drums more than 2112 ever did..... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Such glorious thunder!!! The guitar work of Analog Kid blew me away. I could not fathom how Alex could play that fast.....

But then, the next songs told me that something was now different.....not in a bad way, but simply different. Chemistry and Digital Man were definitely something new to consider. The bass playing in Digital Man was incredible. My first experience with The Weapon was one of wonder and confusion. That was the strangest drum beat I had ever heard! New World Man was DEFINITELY different. Many of my friends said that they hated it, as it was so "New Wave". Losing It was really a gear-crunching song; that took a while to appreciate. Countdown, I thought, was awesome. As I was into everything NASA, I loved the tribute to the space shuttle, even though the song was pretty tame. I loved the guitar riff.

Overall, I knew that Signals was fundamentally different than the last few albums, and the Tour was different, too. The Show was scaled down, but I didn't feel cheated at all. At times, it was just the three guys on stage, with a single spot light on each of them, and I thought it was COOL.....

goodpost.gif

I loved it, too. It was so much richer sounding. yes.gif

Moving Pictures to Signals was fine.Like others it was the move from Signals to GUP that was a shock.It was dark and I didn't like the choppy Edge type guitar solos Alex did although the one on Kid Gloves is cool.

The guitar work on Signals is alot more complex if you really listen to it, and there is alot more in common between Moving Pictures and Signals than people realise. Plus the Signals tour was by far the best, the one they should have videoed.

The biggest shock I got was from Power Windows to Hold Your Fire,and the move from Roll The Bones to Counterparts was dramatic as well.

I got into the band post-MP, pre-Signals. I heard songs from MP on the radio and fell in love with them. By the time Signals came around, I owned their entire back catalog (which was much smaller than it is today!)

I immediately loved Subdivisions when I first heard it. I especially thought the part where they spoke the word Subdivisions was SO COOL! I immediately loved the album when I heard it and it didn't really cross my mind at the time as some major change that I had to acclimate to. Then again, I was 13 years old!

So yeah, I loved the keyboard era, loved every new album without exception up through HYF and looked forward to each one with great anticipation!

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 17 2012, 07:41 AM)
I enjoyed the transition from MP to Signals, but I remember hearing a lot of griping from those around me.

This. I got on the bus around April 1981. So "Signals" was the first Rush album where I anticipated the release. I remember "New World Man" as the first single to hit radio (at least in NoVA that was the case), and it was not what I was expecting. A lot of my Rush-head friends just as quickly got off the bus with "Signals".

And remember, initial pressings sounded really murky. "Signals" has got better with every remastering. And it's definitely aged well.

Peace,

Ron

I was 14 years old at the time and I took the public transit bus to the record store and bought the cassette of Signals. I thought it was too keyboard-ey at the time and the drums were scaled down quite a bit, less 70's progressive style. It grew on me by the 4th or 5th time hearing it.

MP to Signals was a good progression for the band. The song-craft is similar and continues with their musical excellence. GUP started to see the band reflecting on dark topics and the synths begin to be a crutch instead of a tool. Alex is pushed so far back into the mix. PoW saw the band rely too much on synths altogether. They really run rampant. By HYF, the song structures are completely unrecognizable as the same band from a couple albums back. The energy is almost completely sucked from the band they used to be. On A Show of Hands, Subdivisions sounds completely out of place next to Mission and The Big Money...quite bizarre

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 16 2012, 10:47 PM)
The people I knew at least were more shell shocked going from Signals to GUP. I loved GUP when it came out but some of the hardcores were none to happy at the time.

This was my experience too.

I was in high school and my circle of friends that liked Rush all accepted Signals easily. About a year out of high school I ran into several friends at a Rush laser show (remember those?) and everyone was shocked by Grace Under Pressure. One guy was sure that Alex would quit the band before they made another album.

Edit: I think maybe we all liked Signals because the Terry Brown production was still there. Never underestimate the difference a change of producer can cause.

Edited by drbirdsong

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 16 2012, 10:47 PM)
The people I knew at least were more shell shocked going from Signals to GUP. I loved GUP when it came out but some of the hardcores were none to happy at the time.

I was one of them. I still don't think it's great but i enjoy listening to it , after skipping the first 2 songs biggrin.gif

When Moving Pictures came out I was at the peak of my Rush obsession. After waiting with much anticipation, the release of Signals was like a death in the family.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 17 2012, 11:49 AM)
When Moving Pictures came out I was at the peak of my Rush obsession. After waiting with much anticipation, the release of Signals was like a death in the family.

I never got this. They went from one brilliant album to another brilliant album. I never got the heartbreak and loss. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 16 2012, 10:20 PM)

I felt excatly the same way. Absolutely the same.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Apr 17 2012, 03:37 PM)
I remember when it came out.  I was fully 100% absolutely locked into Rush-Worship mode.  I saw them as larger than life, super-mystics whose music and lyrics sent me into other dimensions of consciousness.....and I ain't exaggeratin'.... laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Then Signals was released.  Subdivisions was AMAZING.  The texture and the power of the guitar + synth chords, especially at the end, made me play air guitar and air drums more than 2112 ever did.....  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  Such glorious thunder!!!  The guitar work of Analog Kid blew me away.  I could not fathom how Alex could play that fast.....

But then, the next songs told me that something was now different.....not in a bad way, but simply different.  Chemistry and Digital Man were definitely something new to consider.  The bass playing in Digital Man was incredible.    My first experience with The Weapon was one of wonder and confusion.  That was the strangest drum beat I had ever heard!  New World Man was DEFINITELY different.  Many of my friends said that they hated it, as it was so "New Wave".  Losing It was really a gear-crunching song; that took a while to appreciate.  Countdown, I thought, was awesome.  As I was into everything NASA, I loved the tribute to the space shuttle, even though the song was pretty tame.  I loved the guitar riff. 

Overall, I knew that Signals was fundamentally different than the last few albums, and the Tour was different, too.  The Show was scaled down, but I didn't feel cheated at all.  At times, it was just the three guys on stage, with a single spot light on each of them, and I thought it was COOL.....

I felt excatly the same way. Absolutely the same.

Gr8 minds think alike.....

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

I got into the band during the MP/ESL period and then went back and got the catalog. Then Signals came out. I was hugely disappointed at the time. Today, Signals sounds like the exact album that needed to come out next but when first released most people I knew didn;t understand the move to keyboards and did not appreciate the album.

I was actually out of the country, living in rural Mexico, so I didn't get to experience the release of Signals. I was very heavy into Archives and loved MP and PeW. Obviously, the guitar-oriented RUSH was my preference.

I actually heard all of P/G before listening to all of Signals. P/G didn't disappoint, as I was also a big fan of ska bands, and P/G had plenty of that influence on it. I also enjoyed the bright production of Grace.

And the there's Signals. the first two tracks are solid, and I loved them instantly. New World Man I had know from radio played, and i also liked it quite a bit. Other than Losing It, the rest didn't interest me much. Overall, I hated the "wads of cotton" production and the burying of Alex.

Well, I wasn't born when it happened. But I did listen to Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, 2112, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and the self-titled before picking up Signals so it was quite a shock at first. Then I experienced a sudden dawning of gleeful realization that I had stumbled upon a band with a richness and depth I could truly grow to love.

Hearing Signals for the first time was a great moment in my music-listening life.

New World Man was DEFINITELY different.  Many of my friends said that they hated it, as it was so "New Wave".

I remember hearing this for the first time on the radio as the new single and that pretty much sums my initial reaction at the time.

I became a fan in early '81 at age 11 with the albums Rush, COS, 2112 and ATWAS. Soon after I acquired the other albums and was musically fixated with Rush and listened to them pretty much all the time. So I was 12 when Signals was released and, being more of a fan of heavy rock then, it was a disappointment to me - being new wave influenced, shorter songs, more subdued and subtle in terms of Geddy's vocals and Alex's guitar, etc. Then when Grace Under Pressure came out and it was even more foreign and different than the Rush I was originally attracted to...that was it, I didn't buy a new Rush album again until Presto.

I came to understand the reason why since then. At around the ages of 30, they were reaching the maturing phase of their lives and career while I, as a listener at the ages of 12-15, had a way to go. Now I realize that GUP is a masterpiece and Power Windows is not far behind. Signals still isn't one of my favorites but I can see that it was a necessary experiment for the band (and New World Man is probably my favorite track now other than Subdivisions).

QUOTE (tas7 @ Apr 17 2012, 02:46 AM)
The biggest shock I got was from Power Windows to Hold Your Fire,and the move from Roll The Bones to Counterparts was dramatic as well.

Completely agree. 1986-87 was rough for me for many reasons but the double whammy of Genesis' horrid Invisible Touch in '86 and the not quite as horrid HYF in '87 really hurt. In the years since, I have come to like a couple of HYF songs but I still think it's the worst album they ever did, except for maybe S&A. Invisible Touch still sucks though!

And to get back on topic, I didn't notice any big outrage at my junior high when Signals came out. GUP was another matter as I know a lot of people gave up on them then.