The Entire Rush Catalog

That One Guy

I got around to listening to the entire catalog after joining here. It kind of ushered a Rush Renascence for me. 1022.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except for Can't Fight It/Not Fade Away, which I've just found on youtube, I've heard all the studio albums many times over. I've only listened to Feedback once so far. Edited by LyndseyG

I've listened to all of it at least once. Strange, but I like S&A and feel like I'm the only one that does. I have no time for Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones. I can find something I like on every other record.

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Apr 16 2012, 12:32 PM)
Hey guys,

All these "Rate this album" threads lately got me to thinking: I haven't listened to all of Rush's songs.

So I've decided that changes today. I'm gonna check the songs I'm missing off the laundry list.

I have never listened to:

A couple songs from Presto
Hold Your Fire, except for three songs
Caress Of Steel (someone's gonna kill me for that one)
Most of Fly By Night

Time to get listening!

No killing necessary, but please get yourself a nice set of headphones and crank up Caress of Steel. It is a mind bender.

Try it all!! Hold Your Fire & Fly By Night are great.

CoS - not one of my favorites but heck, don't take my word for it. Give it a shot. You might find something I am missing.

Every so often I pull it and VT out and give them a try. Does not seem to help but maybe someday... It did with Presto and Counterparts. See them in concert, it will help you enjoy the studio work more.

I have found that a lot of Rush's music is something that has to be savored to be truly enjoyed. Don't just gulp it down and expect to get the full taste of it. Treat it like its a fine dining experience, complete with a good wine (or beer if that is your preference - it is for me), desert, after dinner drink and perhaps some fine coffee or tea (my preference). Rush is not fast food for Rock fans. Eat slow. Take your time. Savor every bite. Sniff in the aroma. Let it roll around on your musical palate. You will enjoy the music much more if you do this.

Then go back and get something different from the kitchen once you have digested the first meal completely. A short break will make the next meal all the more enjoyable!!

No, your not in the "Food and Wine Aplenty" section of TRF. rofl3.gif

As fair the catalog - yes, I have it all on CD, including the live albums, My Favorite Headache and Feedback. Know that I think about it, I don't have Victor. Have listened to them many times. Have all of the albums on vinyl up through and including RTB. Again, have listened to them many times. Have all of the official DVD's. Have plenty of unofficial live albums and a few unofficial DVD's.

Try it all and enjoy.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Shygnome @ Apr 17 2012, 04:58 PM)
I've listened to all of it at least once. Strange, but I like S&A and feel like I'm the only one that does.

Not alone at all. S&A is a great sounding album, with plenty of solid performances. Some of the subject matter gets to people, I think. Me included. Neil sure can beathorse.gif sometimes.

From first to last?

Yeah a few times, but I've been a fan for almost 30 years so I'm more than likely to pull out a random album or concert.

Been listening to mostly post Roll The Bones tour live stuff lately.

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 17 2012, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (Shygnome @ Apr 17 2012, 04:58 PM)
I've listened to all of it at least once. Strange, but I like S&A and feel like I'm the only one that does.

Not alone at all. S&A is a great sounding album, with plenty of solid performances. Some of the subject matter gets to people, I think. Me included. Neil sure can beathorse.gif sometimes.

Agreed. It's the album that got me into Rush in the first place.

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:21 AM)
Never understood people not liking a song just because of lyrics. It's not like Neil is writing awful lyrics like............let me put my log in your fireplace.(no offense Gene Simmons)

Ha ha ha, is that an actual KISS lyric? Oh, so subtle! tongue.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 17 2012, 11:21 PM)
Never understood people not liking a song just because of lyrics. It's not like Neil is writing awful lyrics like............let me put my log in your fireplace.(no offense Gene Simmons)

I guess it's all relative, but some of Neil's lyrics just don't work.

Also, some people are more sensitive to lyrics than others. Some people care more about the music, some care more about the lyrics, some care about both. What could be not a big deal for you is a deal breaker for someone else.

My wife sometimes is shocked by some songs that I like - she'll hate a song because the lyrics are so negative where I won't even have noticed the lyrics that much or think a song sounds cool regardless. With Rush, however, I'm pretty highly sensitive to their lyrics, much more so than with other groups since they've maintained such a high lyrical quality in the past. So many of their songs are so meaningful lyrically - it's a huge part of what makes them great. When the lyrics are sub-standard, it's hugely magnified for me and impossible to just ignore. It can easily ruin a song.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 17 2012, 07:36 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Apr 17 2012, 03:05 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 16 2012, 07:12 PM)
QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Apr 16 2012, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 16 2012, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 16 2012, 01:19 PM)
Don't bother with anything after 1982

Actually, don't bother with anything after 1987 except for Chain Lightning and The Pass from Presto, Dreamline from RTB, all of Counterparts, and while there's a handful of mid-level clunkers on S&A, a lot of is great, so check that out as well. yes.gif

"Ignore everything after 1987 except an entire album, these songs, these songs and those songs."

actually it's two entire albums and a handful of songs from the other others. tongue.gif

Not only are you a crusty old curmudgeon, but a hair-spliting one.

wink.gif

laugh.gif

Hey, that"/ odd, Goober forget to recommend his absolute favorites. Luckily they're all on the same album. Secret Touch, Sweet Miracle, Earthshine and Freeze wink.gif

I remember I stayed over at my drummer's house when we had just started the band and we stayed up all night, listening to the whole discography wub.gif

That was fun, we snook pizza rolls into his room and played some video games on mute! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Shygnome @ Apr 17 2012, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (That One Guy @ Apr 16 2012, 12:32 PM)
Hey guys,

All these "Rate this album" threads lately got me to thinking: I haven't listened to all of Rush's songs.

So I've decided that changes today. I'm gonna check the songs I'm missing off the laundry list.

I have never listened to:

A couple songs from Presto
Hold Your Fire, except for three songs
Caress Of Steel (someone's gonna kill me for that one)
Most of Fly By Night

Time to get listening!

No killing necessary, but please get yourself a nice set of headphones and crank up Caress of Steel. It is a mind bender.

I'll get on that soon. But today i'm far too busy driving in that new song. Maybe if i'm lucky local radio will play it tomorrow.

Wading through the discography now. Trying to keep it chronological. It's kind of fun to go through it like that. Just went for a run to HYF and now have Presto on the big stereo. Good stuff believe it or not. wink.gif Edited by Yooper

The first album I listened to all the way through was Permanent Waves back in the summer of 82. My friend's sister played it for us because we were talking about Tom Sawyer. She said you have to listen to this...

From then on, I heard every album in its entirety in order, except for GUP which I did not get until after PoW. HYF was the first one I got on the day of release and it has been that way since.

Can not wait until June 12.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 23 2012, 12:50 PM)
Not only have I heard them ALL a million times over, but I LOVE them all.

Make sure to hear all songs at least a few times each, and make your decision on whether you like them or not.

I can tell you it's possible to like each song for what it is. 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Comparing one album to another -- hell, one song to another -- isn't really being fair. Take them on their own terms and enjoy!

And, yeah, I believe, no I KNOW, that Presto is good stuff biggrin.gif

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Apr 23 2012, 12:34 PM)
Rush Update: I can't stop listening to HYF and Presto.

Caress of Steel will come soon

You can stop listening to HYF after Turn The Page ends. Trust me, you won't be missing anything. biggrin.gif

My obsession with Rush has almost lead to divorce. When I took my wife to her first Rush concert in 1992, Roll the Bones, she took one look at those giant hats and said,"If giant rabbits appear,I'm going home" They did but she didn't go home.

The problem with Rush is that if you listen to one then you have to have the whole box. Some nights I've put the DVD of Exit Stage Left on and haven't been able to stop until I've watched the whole lot and there is alot of concert footage to get through.You get to the stage where you know every word, every guitar, bass and drum part.

At times nearly stopped, Grace Under Pressure didn't gel but Power Windows hooked me back.Hold Your Fire was iffy but Presto bought me back.

Oddly enough my wife loves Caress of Steel

Edited by tas7