HEADLONG FLIGHT New RUSH Tune

jmdyyz

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 30 2012, 12:58 PM)
Question.

I thought the "Listening Party" got to hear the whole album? So what's up? Are they only allowed to divulge information about the one single slated for release?

I thought surely by now we'd have seen some comments about other tracks, or on the overall "feel" of the album. Not just one song.

From RIAB:

It was an exciting week for Rush fans as the rumors of a Clockwork Angels listening party that was to take place this past Tuesday turned out to be true, and some details began leaking out Wednesday afternoon. Several dozen journalists and industry insiders showed up and were treated to the entire Clockwork Angels album. They all had to sign confidentiality agreements and agree not to publish anything related to what they had heard for at least 72 hours - which would be this afternoon. So be on the lookout for more details today.

--------------------

From my understanding, the people that have been chiming in about the song, are radio people that only got to hear 'Headlong Flight', and that's it.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 30 2012, 11:58 AM)
Question.

I thought the "Listening Party" got to hear the whole album? So what's up? Are they only allowed to divulge information about the one single slated for release?

I thought surely by now we'd have seen some comments about other tracks, or on the overall "feel" of the album. Not just one song.

Check out RIAB Updates just recently posted. It explains it better now.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 30 2012, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 30 2012, 12:58 PM)
Question. 

I thought the "Listening Party" got to hear the whole album?  So what's up?  Are they only allowed to divulge information about the one single slated for release? 

I thought surely by now we'd have seen some comments about other tracks, or on the overall "feel" of the album.  Not just one song.

From RIAB:

It was an exciting week for Rush fans as the rumors of a Clockwork Angels listening party that was to take place this past Tuesday turned out to be true, and some details began leaking out Wednesday afternoon. Several dozen journalists and industry insiders showed up and were treated to the entire Clockwork Angels album. They all had to sign confidentiality agreements and agree not to publish anything related to what they had heard for at least 72 hours - which would be this afternoon. So be on the lookout for more details today.

--------------------

From my understanding, the people that have been chiming in about the song, are radio people that only got to hear 'Headlong Flight', and that's it.

Thanks - I did check RIAB this morning, but that update wasn't posted yet.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 30 2012, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 30 2012, 11:58 AM)
Question. 

I thought the "Listening Party" got to hear the whole album?  So what's up?  Are they only allowed to divulge information about the one single slated for release? 

I thought surely by now we'd have seen some comments about other tracks, or on the overall "feel" of the album.  Not just one song.

Check out RIAB Updates just recently posted. It explains it better now.

Oh, ED is on it! smile.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 30 2012, 10:16 AM)
We are now fighting about a song we have Not heard yet , Fantastic cool10.gif

Lol right.

I am eagerly awaiting CA and the new tune to be released and of course the killer tour we are in store for this Fall.

Everyone relax.

It's Rush....we all know it is going to kick all kinds of ass.

QUOTE (Todem @ Mar 30 2012, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 30 2012, 10:16 AM)
We are now fighting about a song we have Not heard yet , Fantastic  cool10.gif

Lol right.

I am eagerly awaiting CA and the new tune to be released and of course the killer tour we are in store for this Fall.

Everyone relax.

It's Rush....we all know it is going to kick all kinds of ass.

Just like S&A kicked all kinds of ass.

bolt.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 12:52 PM)
But like I said, I've said my peace and I don't want to argue about it and there's nothing I can do about it anyway so I'll drop it. You're not wrong about what you wrote, I just don't think it was complete. I'm really just focused on getting some more info on the new album now and no hard feelings my friend. smile.gif

Oh, pssh. No hard feelings at all - we're just jabberin'. No biggie. You raise some good points, we just disagree on a matter of degree, that's all.

I'll say one more thing about this, then I'll drop it, too smile.gif

The VH thing is somewhat of an anomaly, and actually does fairly well to side with my point. In this era, when there are practically no rock bands selling well because the musical landscape has shifted to other genres, selling 330,000 copies of a VH album is a *massive* achievement. Take any other band from their prime era - the 80's - and have them put out a new album, and you'll see sales of 10 or 20,000 units. Demographics have shifted and the younger generation that buys the most music ain't buying new material from a rock band that's 30 years old. In 2011 alone, Adele sold 5.8 million copies of "21" and Lady Gaga sold 2.1 million copies of "Born this Way". None of the top five sellers in 2011 were in the rock genre or even remotely near it. That's not piracy at work, that's "people don't want rock music like they used to anymore" at work.

Anyway, I think we've gone round and around on this and ended up in nearly the same place. Thanks for the conversation, it's been fun trink39.gif

The recent info on RIAB answers alot of the questions on the secrecy as well as maybe a hint this could be the last from RUSH. I say the last because it says on RIAB they are going to do a major promo campaign to the likes of which RUSH fans have never seen. With possible late night TV appearances coming...Colbert and Stewart maybe? Letterman? And even though I am not a huge Saturday Night Live fan anymore, it would be so cool to hear them play 2 songs on live TV! They could play Headlong Flight AND a classic!!! And sometimes, SNL will allow legendary bands 3 songs! THREE songs on live TV!!!! That would be amazing! (BTW, all those talk shows are just me hoping)

Since they are doing all this promo for CA maybe it's just them trying to maximize profit (obviously), maybe they think this album is absolutely amazing (probably). Or maybe this is the last album and they want to go out with a bang (maybe, but I hope not!). Or most likely a little of all three. Hopefully not their last, though. I bet they honestly don't know. Since VT, they put out an album then tour, then take a long break and reassess to see if they feel like doing it again. I read the following little blurb regarding Rush winning the Governor General's Award from Neil on RIAB:

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2012/03/07...firms-Fall-tour

"We are especially appreciative for the presentation of this lifetime achievement award now - while we are still active (Too active, our families might say!)" said Rush drummer and lyricist Neil Peart in an emailed statement, noting that the band was putting the finishing touches on its 20th studio album, "Clockwork Angels," with a fall tour planned."

Then here is the part that talks about the huge PR campaign from RIAB:

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2012/03/30...ndom-Rush-stuff

"The other information to come out of Tuesday's Lunch and Listen was that Roadrunner would be launching a huge PR campaign for the album over the coming weeks/months, unlike anything Rush fans have seen before. Along those lines, I'm already aware of at least 3 major rock magazines (Classic Rock, MOJO, etc.) that will be running cover features on the band/album over the next few months, and there's also talk of some late-night TV appearances. Also, reader jupeguyowensound let me know that The Fan 590 in Toronto had Humble (from the Humble and Fred podcast) on this morning and he mentioned that he had just interviewed Alex Lifeson a couple of days ago. This probably means that the guys have started hitting the interview circuit, so be on the lookout."

Regardless if this is the last or just another, I am so excited to get some new RUSH. I agree with the comments that it's too hard to judge what the song or album will sound like from little blurbs. Because one thing we are all aware of, one person can think Caress of Steel is a masterpiece while another thinks it's garbage. So the same is true with Headlong Flight.

I think the best thing is all the responses so far are positive and DIFFERENT. So each person is hearing something they like but the explanations come out from "80 to 91 in a blender " to "It ROCKS 74-77 era!" To me, that is exciting because people are hearing different things and having different takes on the same song.

So maybe, just maybe, we may all, fans of old material, fans of mid material and fans of newer material (or fans like me who like it all!) might be happy with it!

Regardless, I just can't wait and I take back everything I said about waiting to hear the album when it's released. I will take it one song at a time if I get the chance!

Oh and on the 5.5 min edit for radio. At first I was like, come on...it's RUSH, just play the whole damn thing! Don't cut out the part we all really want to hear! But know I'm kinda looking at it like some have said, once we hear the edited version, we will have the album version to look forward to!

Did I mention I can't wait!!!!

2.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 31 2012, 09:47 PM)
In regards to Grover Collins, as someone on RIAB pointed out, those two stations are country stations, so it's possible the program director for country stations isn't as well versed in Rush as one for rock stations would be wink.gif Granted, there's also an 80's station affiliated with them, but from what the poster was saying, it doesn't play much Rush.

In fact, someone in this very forum may have pointed that out.

In this thread

Easy to miss, though, since there are 900 threads on this song.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 31 2012, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 30 2012, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 30 2012, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 30 2012, 06:59 AM)
For what it's worth...from RIAB:

UPDATE - 3/30@7:30AM: Roadrunner continues to shop the Headlong Flight single around the radio community. Grover Collins is the Program Director at WUBE/WYGY in Cincinnati, OH and tweeted the following yesterday evening:

Just heard new RUSH single from upcoming CD "Clockwork Angels" called "Headlong Flight"...Old school RUSH fans rejoice! It ROCKS 74-77 era!

@rushtheband New RUSH single from upcoming CD called "Headlong Flight"...Old school RUSH fans rejoice! It ROCKS 74-77 era! Just awesome!!

<sigh>

Well, which is it? 74-77 era or 1980-1991 in a blender? I hate it when conflicting reports start surfacing.

laugh.gif

True...for me, I just hate those comparisons altogether.

I don't like hearing "80-91 in a blender", "74-77", "By-Tor feel"...people need to realize by now that especially with RUSH, there is no comparing one album to the next. They are all so unique and different...and I firmly believe that CA will be no exception.

Why compare it to the past? If it sounds good...then it's good. But making comparisons to past songs and albums will only result in a backlash from fans the first time they hear it...and realize it doesn't sound like these to them.

I will judge it for sure once I listen to it. I only really care what I think when it comes to music.

What I am taking from these posts though...is that so far, they all sound extremely positive, and when I couple that with what I've heard so far (Caravan and BU2B), it's shaping up to be an album that I will hopefully LOVE.

In regards to Grover Collins, as someone on RIAB pointed out, those two stations are country stations, so it's possible the program director for country stations isn't as well versed in Rush as one for rock stations would be wink.gif Granted, there's also an 80's station affiliated with them, but from what the poster was saying, it doesn't play much Rush.

Grover Collins also said.......I am in radio and I tell you the single will hit early this week.......or something like that. So maybe it is possible we won't have to wait until the 19th?