Feedback II

losingit2k

Should RUSH release another Feedback? And if so What songs?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Should RUSH release another Feedback? And if so What songs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only as an EP

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 16 2012, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 16 2012, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 15 2012, 09:49 PM)
I voted yes because what the hell.

If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

That being said, if they play any covers *live* ever again, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Yeah, but you gotta remember, doing a Feedback II takes time, even though they don't have to write the lyrics or the music, they do have to put their spin on it and then practice it, then record it, taking time away from another "new" album.

And if they did release one, they would for sure play some of it in concert, so I think you should send negative mental messages to RUSH to NEVER do this again, maybe contact Solaris Blue Raven as Lerxter suggested, so they never do it again! laugh.gif

I'd be shocked if it took longer than a weekend to learn and arrange the songs, and longer than two weeks to really nail them down. Then give them another week for recording and the band is done - hand it off to the staff for post production. 90% of the real work is already done for them - writing the songs.

I don't think it would take away all that much time. Less than a month. And I know some of us have been saying they're getting old, this might be the last album, they might retire soon... but what the hell, they might not. They might have another three albums in them and retire at 70. Who knows. If they want to spend a month doing another covers album, I'd check it out and not prejudge it.

I agree. I also think "putting their spin on it" wouldn't take any time, it would just be something that happens naturally.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 16 2012, 11:42 AM)

That being said, if they play any covers *live* ever again, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Yeah, but you gotta remember, doing a Feedback II takes time, even though they don't have to write the lyrics or the music, they do have to put their spin on it and then practice it, then record it, taking time away from another "new" album.

And if they did release one, they would for sure play some of it in concert, so I think you should send negative mental messages to RUSH to NEVER do this again, maybe contact Solaris Blue Raven as Lerxter suggested, so they never do it again! laugh.gif

I'd be shocked if it took longer than a weekend to learn and arrange the songs, and longer than two weeks to really nail them down. Then give them another week for recording and the band is done - hand it off to the staff for post production. 90% of the real work is already done for them - writing the songs.

I don't think it would take away all that much time. Less than a month. And I know some of us have been saying they're getting old, this might be the last album, they might retire soon... but what the hell, they might not. They might have another three albums in them and retire at 70. Who knows. If they want to spend a month doing another covers album, I'd check it out and not prejudge it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy it just like I bought Feedback. And if it came down to them doing nothing or putting together Feedback II, I'd take FBII, but again, I don't want one second put into that if it could be put into a new album. And then the "live" argument comes in. You know they'd play some of them live. R30 is my favorite live recording, but my one complaint is the covers. If those covers weren't on R30 who knows what songs would have been in their place!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 16 2012, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 16 2012, 11:42 AM)

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy it just like I bought Feedback. And if it came down to them doing nothing or putting together Feedback II, I'd take FBII, but again, I don't want one second put into that if it could be put into a new album. And then the "live" argument comes in. You know they'd play some of them live. R30 is my favorite live recording, but my one complaint is the covers. If those covers weren't on R30 who knows what songs would have been in their place!

Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know that they'd feel like they had to put covers in the set, but maybe they would.

As for what songs would have been in their place on R30, it's not too much of a stretch to figure it out... they've been seemingly uninterested in doing deep cuts for a long time now, so the spots would have been filled with standards. What didn't they do? YYZ, Freewill, Bravado, The Pass, Closer to the Heart, Stick It Out, Driven, Time Stand Still, Big Money, Red Sector A, Distant Early Warning, The Trees, La Villa... there's more than enough to make up the four covers they worked in.

QUOTE (Kent @ Mar 16 2012, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 15 2012, 04:48 PM)
Nah.  The clock is ticking on this band, and we're going to get only so much more material and so many more shows out of them, so I'd prefer that they didn't spend any of the time that's left rehearsing, recording, and performing cover songs.  It doesn't help that I don't like most of the songs they chose for the first one.

why do you think the clock is ticking on this band?

Just curious.

Because they are all closer to 60 than 50

Neil Hates touring

They don't need the money

Time does Not Stand Still wink.gif

They should do kinda like Dream Theater did with Black Clouds & Silver Linings and release a cover disc along with Clockwork Angels.

But rather than do a disc of songs that have influenced them; they should do a disc of songs from band who they've influenced.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 15 2012, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 15 2012, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 15 2012, 02:07 PM)
God No

Faced with no album at all for R40 you'd rather them just hit the road? Not even come out with something?

Explain yourselves!

confused13.gif

Nothing is better than half-assed cover songs. Plus, they don't even pick Good songs. Feedback was Horseshit

Correct.

Why waste any time at all re-recording someone else's songs?

You're Rush, Damnit!

Get Rocking!

angry.gif

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Mar 16 2012, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 15 2012, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 15 2012, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 15 2012, 02:07 PM)
God No

Faced with no album at all for R40 you'd rather them just hit the road? Not even come out with something?

Explain yourselves!

confused13.gif

Nothing is better than half-assed cover songs. Plus, they don't even pick Good songs. Feedback was Horseshit

Correct.

Why waste any time at all re-recording someone else's songs?

You're Rush, Damnit!

Get Rocking!

angry.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Geddyleegenes @ Mar 15 2012, 11:15 PM)
One thing that might be interesting would be if Rush "revisited" some of their real old songs and do reworked versions of a few. Perhaps rework some of the synthesizer heavy 80s songs. Completely removing the synthesizers and putting in a whole lot more guitar. A new version of "New World Man" maybe. Stuff like that.

I've only listened to Feedback a few times. I tried listening to it last summer, but ended up skipping through every song. I do like their take on "For What It's Worth", but if I'm going to listen to that song, I'd rather hear the original. I realize the songs on Feedback are considered classics, but they're all before my time and just don't spark with me.

Mr. Soul is my favorite off Feedback, along with the Seeker.

Feedback was a decent novelty for R30, but need not be repeated.

I can't believe 1/3rd of the people who responded think this is a good idea! ohmy.gif wtf.gif

Granted, Feedback is more enjoyable and listenable than Presto, RTB, T4E and VT, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea, and it CERTAINLY isn't a good idea to do it again, especially if it's in lieu of new studio material.

That said, if it's between Feedback II and nothing, I'll take Feedback II, but only under those circumstances...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 21 2012, 07:56 AM)
I can't believe 1/3rd of the people who responded think this is a good idea! ohmy.gif wtf.gif

Granted, Feedback is more enjoyable and listenable than Presto, RTB, T4E and VT, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea, and it CERTAINLY isn't a good idea to do it again, especially if it's in lieu of new studio material.

That said, if it's between Feedback II and nothing, I'll take Feedback II, but only under those circumstances...

i'd rather have nothing. also, i'll bet a third of the people would want the orchestra thing to happen. wacko.gif

I bet you'd like it if they covered:

Caravan, Gong, Premiata Fornería Marconi, soft machine, or ...

wait for it!

cheer.gif Camel! cheer.gif

God I miss your show!! My Thursday nights are so empty now!

banghead.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 21 2012, 02:38 PM)

wait for it!

banghead.gif

I think covers in general are a bad idea. It's very hard to improve on a song doing a cover, and while the ones on Feedback were nice and definitely had some strong Rush flavor to them, none of them surpassed the originals. It was just kind of an odd exercise.

Anyway, yeah man, I hear ya - I very well may pick up doing my show again one of these days. Time will tell... trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 21 2012, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 21 2012, 02:38 PM)

wait for it!

banghead.gif

I think covers in general are a bad idea. It's very hard to improve on a song doing a cover, and while the ones on Feedback were nice and definitely had some strong Rush flavor to them, none of them surpassed the originals. It was just kind of an odd exercise.

Anyway, yeah man, I hear ya - I very well may pick up doing my show again one of these days. Time will tell... trink39.gif

Agreed! If you first do a cover, please do it in a completely different way. If you are trying to replicate the original version it will always be worse.

A few have made it and come through. I kind of like At Vances cover of ABBA songs.

Talisman did a very good cover of SEAL's song Crazy.

Edited by Snowman

Wow I'm amazed that 'no' is winning!! Keep in mind that if they did feedback 2 it wouldn't take as long as writing and recording an original album... We wouldn't have to wait 5 years for it lol!

Just think of all the amazing music out there that could be improved with a little "Rushification' smile.gif

The problem with feedback was the song selection. I know the whole point was to pick songs that they liked when they were young but they were all songs that are completely outside the scope of rush's complicated style...

That being said, you can't tell me you wouldn't like to see Rush cover Opeth or Tool..

Or dare I say it... Dream Theater! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Mar 22 2012, 04:42 AM)
Agreed! If you first do a cover, please do it in a completely different way. If you are trying to replicate the original version it will always be worse.

Absolutely. There are a lot of covers that blow away the originals simply by virtue of being done in a different genre. For Spotify users, I discovered a playlist called (appropriately enough) Covers in a Different Genre. Lots of good stuff there from Blondie, Cream, Florence + the Machine, Muse, Sex Pistols and more.

A few standouts that aren't on that list:

Heather Nova covering "I Have the Touch" (Peter Gabriel)

Our Lady Peace covering "Tomorrow Never Knows" (The Beatles)

Placebo covering "Running Up that Hill" (Kate Bush)

Drop Nineteens covering "Angel" (Madonna)

Done right... covers can be pretty awesome. The Our Lady Peace cover is, to me, the definitive version of that song.

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Mar 22 2012, 08:26 AM)
The problem with feedback was that it was released and they charged people actual money for it.

That being said, you can't tell me you wouldn't like to see Rush cover Opeth or Tool..

I could say this all week long on full repeat. I do not need to hear Rush cover jack shit.

What I do need to hear them play are Rush songs.

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Mar 22 2012, 07:26 AM)
The problem with feedback was the song selection. I know the whole point was to pick songs that they liked when they were young but they were all songs that are completely outside the scope of rush's complicated style...

The problem was NOT the song selection, the problem was COVER TUNES. Rush are far too talented of a band to waste one nanosecond of their rare precious studio time doing other people's songs.

That said, it ended up being their only listenable album between Counterparts and S&A, so there is an upside.