So much negativity

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Mar 19 2012, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 17 2012, 12:29 PM)
Negativity and opinions are completely different things. Lots of people don't like their newer material a whole lot.......and the fanboys have trouble dealing with it.

See, you make a valid point but then play the Fanboy card. facepalm.gif You guys always complain about being called Trolls or Haters, but then throw around the Fanboy label. (Fanboi, if you want to really stick it to us.)

I don't mind hearing critical opinions, and have problems myself with some new Rush, mostly Bones and Echo. But it's this cliqueish superiority complex that really bugs me, this idea that you're only really a fan if you dislike most everything Rush has done after 1981 or 1985. eh.gif

And I still don't understand why some folks would spend so much time on a website dedicated to a band who has dissapointed them for maybe three decades. eh.gif I was a Dream Theater fan back in the 90s, and can't imagine spending a lot of time on their websites bashing their last few albums. I just don't understand the appeal. confused13.gif

^^^^^^ this

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Mar 19 2012, 12:59 PM)
Negativity and opinions are completely different things. Lots of people don't like their newer material a whole lot.......and the fanboys have trouble dealing with it.

See, you make a valid point but then play the Fanboy card. facepalm.gif You guys always complain about being called Trolls or Haters, but then throw around the Fanboy label. (Fanboi, if you want to really stick it to us.)

I don't mind hearing critical opinions, and have problems myself with some new Rush, mostly Bones and Echo. But it's this cliqueish superiority complex that really bugs me, this idea that you're only really a fan if you dislike most everything Rush has done after 1981 or 1985. eh.gif

And I still don't understand why some folks would spend so much time on a website dedicated to a band who has dissapointed them for maybe three decades. eh.gif I was a Dream Theater fan back in the 90s, and can't imagine spending a lot of time on their websites bashing their last few albums. I just don't understand the appeal. confused13.gif

it's a combination of venting our frustration and being bored. tongue.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 17 2012, 01:40 PM)
I have strong opinions about that guy, he's a troll. But I have no emotional stake in whether he lives or dies, metaphorically speaking. I'm not losing sleep over it, and my blood pressure isn't rising. He's a asshat troll. Doesn't take emotion to reach that conclusion.

LOL

This right here is what it is all about.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Mar 19 2012, 01:59 PM)

goodpost.gif

Couldn't agree more. yes.gif

But right off the bat, your opinion will be dismissed or ignored because you haven't been on the board long enough. Usually unless you have over 2112 posts, and especially because you are under 100, even if you were a fan since the day that Alex started the band, your opinion really doesn't count. At least to alot of the smarter, more seasoned posters. Obviously, I'm not in that group because I haven't reached 2112 posts yet, but the second I do, I will be under obligation to ignore and/or dismiss your opinion. wink.gif laugh.gif

trink39.gif

I don't care how aloof people want to act towards the band and fellow fans - but the fact is every person who visits this forum on a regular basis fits the "fanboi" label - no matter how you slice it.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Mar 19 2012, 11:59 AM)

All he said was that fanboys can't deal with it. He didn't define what makes a person a fanboy, so I don't see why you act so insulted.

Can someone tell me what describes an fanboy?

I like every album Rush have released. There are odd tracks here and there that I dont like (ex. Neurotica, Bet your life, I think Im going Bald, mainly the more "stupid/funny" songs from Rush, with the exception of Dog Years which I really dig).

Rush is and have always been an important part of my life since I started listening to them around 1986. They inspired me to pick up an instrument and start to play and make music. Does this qualify me to be an fanboy?

I know what an Troll is. I can name several people here on this forum. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 20 2012, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Mar 19 2012, 11:59 AM)

All he said was that fanboys can't deal with it. He didn't define what makes a person a fanboy, so I don't see why you act so insulted.

It's a typical fanboy reaction that's why. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Mar 20 2012, 03:14 AM)

I like every album Rush have released. There are odd tracks here and there that I dont like (ex. Neurotica, Bet your life, I think Im going Bald, mainly the more "stupid/funny" songs from Rush, with the exception of Dog Years which I really dig).

Rush is and have always been an important part of my life since I started listening to them around 1986. They inspired me to pick up an instrument and start to play and make music. Does this qualify me to be an fanboy?

I know what an Troll is. I can name several people here on this forum. ph34r.gif

I hear you. I don't mind the tag, it's just annoying when it comes from someone acting all condesending like just because I enjoy all the albums from RUSH, I'm somehow a sheep just saying I like them because I don't want to bad mouth RUSH. As if RUSH is checking the forum and I want to impress them. Yeah...that is my goal. Hoping one day Geddy is searching thru TRF and sees my love of RUSH and invites me as his guest to a show. Yep...that is my motivation. (Geddy, just PM me when you read this wink.gif)

I'm so glad that all the albums appeal to me because it would suck big time to like only half of my favorite bands albums. If fans don't like certain albums, great for them. They can like what they like, but that sucks for them. It just makes me scratch my head when someone calls me a fanboy as an insult and we are on a RUSH fan forum. It's not like I am mad about it, it's more just not understanding why liking all their material is some sort of put down. It just makes no sense to me at all. It's like they are shocked that some fans like all the albums and crazy enough, it's on a RUSH website. Like you said, there are songs that I'm not crazy about, but I at least like every album and love alot of them.

To me, if you want to criticize someone, it would be someone who doesn't like RUSH's music for the last 25 years, yet they come to the board daily and chime in just to let us know for the 1000th time how bad anything post MP is. Yeah, great. Thanks for the info.

I have a suggestion for the mods. Why don't you add some categories to the profile section. To cater to the fans who have so many albums they dislike, could you add the categories:

My least favorite album(s).

My least favorite song(s).

My least favorite band member(s).

My worst RUSH experience.

When I started to hate RUSH's music.

Why I hate RUSH's new music.

What era do I hate the most.

That would be so cool if you could do that for them. That would save them so much time posting it over an over. wink.gif

Oh...or make a new section. You could call it "Leave That Thing Alone" where they could go and talk about everything they hate and that sucks about RUSH. wink.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Mar 20 2012, 12:14 AM)

I like every album Rush have released.

YOU! tongue.gif

There are odd tracks here and there that I dont like (ex. Neurotica, Bet your life, I think Im going Bald, mainly the more "stupid/funny" songs from Rush, with the exception of Dog Years which I really dig).

Oh, ok, not you then. wink.gif

I don't know what the official definition of a fanboy/fanboi is (although I'm sure a quick trip to the urban dictionary will tell you that), but MY definition is someone who loves every single song from every album, or more commonly, and at minimum "finds something to like or love about every single song." They love every era of Rush equally. It's someone who is more than just forgiving of the band, makes excuses for every questionable act and gives them the benefit of the doubt for every single action they take, but refuses to say anything negative about anything Rush and loves and approves of everything they do. They get really annoyed when anyone says anything negative about Rush and take it oddly personally.

It's someone who is intensely emotionally invested in the band to the point of religious zealotry or borderline worship. They likely have learned enough about life from Rush lyrics to make you a little uncomfortable. scared.gif

That, or some variation of that. unsure.gif

Alsoooo.... they may or may not read every Neil Peart book, read every blog, listen to every interview, buy every magazine, try to get every album on vinyl, tries to get every promo release and poster possible, sees every concert within a 100 mile radius (and will sometimes travel further or much further), has an extremely large Rush bootleg collection, buys every live album, DVD, Japanese SHM pressing, etc., etc. They probably don't do ALL of those things, but does at least a few of them. They've almost surely read at least a couple Ayn Rand books. tongue.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 20 2012, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Mar 20 2012, 03:14 AM)

I know what an Troll is. I can name several people here on this forum.  ph34r.gif

I hear you. I don't mind the tag, it's just annoying when it comes from someone acting all condesending like just because I enjoy all the albums from RUSH, I'm somehow a sheep just saying I like them because I don't want to bad mouth RUSH. As if RUSH is checking the forum and I want to impress them. Yeah...that is my goal. Hoping one day Geddy is searching thru TRF and sees my love of RUSH and invites me as his guest to a show. Yep...that is my motivation. (Geddy, just PM me when you read this wink.gif)

I'm so glad that all the albums appeal to me because it would suck big time to like only half of my favorite bands albums. If fans don't like certain albums, great for them. They can like what they like, but that sucks for them. It just makes me scratch my head when someone calls me a fanboy as an insult and we are on a RUSH fan forum. It's not like I am mad about it, it's more just not understanding why liking all their material is some sort of put down. It just makes no sense to me at all. It's like they are shocked that some fans like all the albums and crazy enough, it's on a RUSH website. Like you said, there are songs that I'm not crazy about, but I at least like every album and love alot of them.

To me, if you want to criticize someone, it would be someone who doesn't like RUSH's music for the last 25 years, yet they come to the board daily and chime in just to let us know for the 1000th time how bad anything post MP is. Yeah, great. Thanks for the info.

I have a suggestion for the mods. Why don't you add some categories to the profile section. To cater to the fans who have so many albums they dislike, could you add the categories:

My least favorite album(s).

My least favorite song(s).

My least favorite band member(s).

My worst RUSH experience.

When I started to hate RUSH's music.

Why I hate RUSH's new music.

What era do I hate the most.

That would be so cool if you could do that for them. That would save them so much time posting it over an over. wink.gif

Oh...or make a new section. You could call it "Leave That Thing Alone" where they could go and talk about everything they hate and that sucks about RUSH. wink.gif wink.gif

In all that wordage you didn't answer his question.

Frankly, I don't think TRFers would even be able to agree on a definition for "fanboy"...or maybe we could but it'd take some bickering first.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 20 2012, 04:21 AM)

YOU! tongue.gif

There are odd tracks here and there that I dont like (ex. Neurotica, Bet your life, I think Im going Bald, mainly the more "stupid/funny" songs from Rush, with the exception of Dog Years which I really dig).

I don't know what the official definition of a fanboy/fanboi is (although I'm sure a quick trip to the urban dictionary will tell you that), but MY definition is someone who loves every single song from every album, or more commonly, and at minimum "finds something to like or love about every single song." They love every era of Rush equally. It's someone who is more than just forgiving of the band, makes excuses for every questionable act and gives them the benefit of the doubt for every single action they take, but refuses to say anything negative about anything Rush and loves and approves of everything they do. They get really annoyed when anyone says anything negative about Rush and take it oddly personally.

It's someone who is intensely emotionally invested in the band to the point of religious zealotry or borderline worship. They likely have learned enough about life from Rush lyrics to make you a little uncomfortable. scared.gif

Alsoooo.... they may or may not read every Neil Peart book, read every blog, listen to every interview, buy every magazine, try to get every album on vinyl, tries to get every promo release and poster possible, sees every concert within a 100 mile radius (and will sometimes travel further or much further), has an extremely large Rush bootleg collection, buys every live album, DVD, Japanese SHM pressing, etc., etc. They probably don't do ALL of those things, but does at least a few of them. They've almost surely read at least a couple Ayn Rand books. tongue.gif

Damn...I do some of those things, but not all. And I dislike Feedback sad.gif

I also don't buy all Neil's books or read his blog. sad.gif

And there are songs on albums that I don't like, but there are songs on every album that I do like. eh.gif

I don't have to own everything the band puts out, in fact I don't own any greatest hits except Chronicles, but damn it if it didn't come out the same year I became a fan! sad.gif

It's looking bleak for me. I don't live my life thru Neil's lyrics, in fact I believe in GOD! fists crying.gif

F**K ME! I'm no fanboy! Son of a bitch! rage.gif

Oh well, I do try to give them the benefit of the doubt on stuff though!!! smile.gif

I guess I'm just regular old fan. sad.gif facepalm.gif NO, I'm not crying under my hand!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 20 2012, 02:26 AM)

YOU! tongue.gif

And there are songs on albums that I don't like, but there are songs on every album that I do like. eh.gif

I don't have to own everything the band puts out, in fact I don't own any greatest hits except Chronicles, but damn it if it didn't come out the same year I became a fan! sad.gif

It's looking bleak for me. I don't live my life thru Neil's lyrics, in fact I believe in GOD! fists crying.gif

Oh well, I do try to give them the benefit of the doubt on stuff though!!! smile.gif

I guess I'm just regular old fan. sad.gif facepalm.gif NO, I'm not crying under my hand!

Sorry man, but I think with a little more concerted effort you CAN be a fanboy, or even the ultra-fanatic fanboi with an I. I believe in you. You can do it! yes.gif cheer.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 20 2012, 06:41 AM)

YOU! tongue.gif

Sorry man, but I think with a little more concerted effort you CAN be a fanboy, or even the ultra-fanatic fanboi with an I. I believe in you. You can do it! yes.gif cheer.gif

I'm a fan man dammit!

Remember when I crashed that Bowe v Holyfield match?

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 16 2012, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (Curly @ Mar 16 2012, 02:47 PM)
It's the reality of the internet that 99.99% percent of what people post here they would never in a million years have the nerve to say it in the person's presence.

If you adopt the rule "Would I really be able to say this to someone's face?" truthfully, internet forums would be a much nicer place.

I don't get the desire of some to come to sites like this for no other reason than to spew negativity. A (far) cry for attention perhaps?

I'll say Rush have been shit for 25 years to anybody's face, including the band. Mosbach thought he could stop me spewing my negativety and gave up.

If I really did meet up with Peart or the band I'd be the model of courtesy, cos I'm English and nobody does good manners like English "Old-Rush" fans...

Yeah, right

QUOTE (Curly @ Mar 20 2012, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (Curly @ Mar 16 2012, 02:47 PM)
It's the reality of the internet that 99.99% percent of what people post here they would never in a million years have the nerve to say it in the person's presence.

If you adopt the rule "Would I really be able to say this to someone's face?" truthfully, internet forums would be a much nicer place.

I don't get the desire of some to come to sites like this for no other reason than to spew negativity. A (far) cry for attention perhaps?

I'll say Rush have been shit for 25 years to anybody's face, including the band. Mosbach thought he could stop me spewing my negativety and gave up.

If I really did meet up with Peart or the band I'd be the model of courtesy, cos I'm English and nobody does good manners like English "Old-Rush" fans...

Yeah, right

Was that "yeah right" for the part when Tony seemingly claims to have vanquished Mosbach, or that he'd be a model of courtesy.

Edited by Lerxster

Can you give us the full story? Did you confront Mosbach at a Rush show?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 20 2012, 07:41 AM)

YOU! tongue.gif

That hurt man...I feel that sarcasm! You already have me pegged as the ULTIMATE fanboI! Damn that hurts...I mean, damn that's cool! laugh.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Mar 20 2012, 12:39 PM)

I can tell you, i was there . What i remember was ,Tony R parked his Skateboard in Rush's V.I.P parking space . Mosbach saw him and started to explain the "This is Neil's spot for his Motorcycle " and he would have to park his Skateboard in the Public parking lot where all the other Neil Zombies park . Tony then said " Listen here , I am the bands Biggest Fan, i Worship Neil and we have a connection that the other Zombies don't ". Mosbach Said " Neil Hates You and everyone else that buy's his albums and books and tickets " Tony then said " Well, Fu*k You , Rush Sucks and has Sucked for the last 25 years and you know what ? You Suck as well Fanboy " The last thing i remember is Tony throwing a Beer in his face and hitting him over the head with a copy of Relayer .

True story

trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 20 2012, 05:52 PM)

I can tell you, i was there . What i remember was ,Tony R parked his Skateboard in Rush's V.I.P parking space . Mosbach saw him and started to explain the "This is Neil's spot for his Motorcycle " and he would have to park his Skateboard in the Public parking lot where all the other Neil Zombies park . Tony then said " Listen here , I am the bands Biggest Fan, i Worship Neil and we have a connection that the other Zombies don't ". Mosbach Said " Neil Hates You and everyone else that buy's his albums and books and tickets " Tony then said " Well, Fu*k You , Rush Sucks and has Sucked for the last 25 years and you know what ? You Suck as well Fanboy " The last thing i remember is Tony throwing a Beer in his face and hitting him over the head with a copy of Relayer .

True story

trink39.gif

Yup. I saw it. It was a cassette of Relayer. The sharp corners cut Mosbach's cheek.

He cried like a little girl.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 20 2012, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 20 2012, 05:52 PM)

True story

trink39.gif

Yup. I saw it. It was a cassette of Relayer. The sharp corners cut Mosbach's cheek.

He cried like a little girl.

You guys must have been really drunk because that's not at all how I remember it.

You left out the parts about the haggis and Tony's tallywhacker.