So much negativity

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 15 2012, 09:08 PM)
This thread is living up to its title WAY too well.

The funny thing is, people love to complain about criticism and negativity and think that somehow doing so, especially while creating a thread about it, will somehow bring about some kind of change in consciousness and result in a fountain of positivity, a shining light in the darkness.

In reality, complaining about people complaining is just more complaining and will bring about more of the same.

I agree with the people in this thread who say the conflict is fun and you shouldn't take it all so seriously. I know some people can't let go of the ideal they have in their minds that this site should be nothing but a positive smurfy care bear festival of nothing but love, acceptance and giddy schoolgirl excitement about everything Rush has ever done, but they'd be a lot further ahead to accept that it's not that way and enjoy it for what it is.

Not only do we not agree all the time, but for me personally, the threads where we don't are the most fun. It's no accident that the most controversial and heated discussions get the most views and posts. That's where the most excitement and entertainment is, at least for many of us. The results speak for themselves.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 16 2012, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 16 2012, 01:00 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 16 2012, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 16 2012, 09:08 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 16 2012, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 16 2012, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 16 2012, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 16 2012, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 16 2012, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 16 2012, 08:27 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 16 2012, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 16 2012, 03:11 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 16 2012, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 15 2012, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 16 2012, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (myturn2drive @ Mar 15 2012, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 15 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (myturn2drive @ Mar 15 2012, 09:13 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 15 2012, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (myturn2drive @ Mar 15 2012, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 15 2012, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 15 2012, 10:44 PM)
Sometimes I'm negative because it's fun. Its infinitely more enjoyable to make a (seemingly) witty comment about an album or song I don't like than just shut up and not say anything. That said, people should take it for what it is. Its just my attempt at humor. When I see someone else joking negatively about something I like I just laugh and move on. The general feeling I get is that we need to lighten up and stop taking other peoples' (and our) opinions so seriously, myself included.

Some people will never get this.

Oh no...I "get it". I may be new to these forums...but I have seen your type of "humor" before. You two are the type that get enjoyment out of putting stuff down. Everything "sucks" or is "lame". I went to school with people like you. Your idea of "fun" is putting other people and ideas down. What I don't get, is why you claim to be a rush fan, but all you have to say is how much they suck...why waste the energy? Well I know why...because to you it is fun. This isn't a politcal debate, we aren't solving the worlds problems...we are all supposed to be here because we love Rush

Two posts in, and you've already got me all figured out. Well done

Wasn't that difficult

Some people just don't know how to have fun. biggrin.gif

No, some (in fact, most people I know) don't think being negative is fun.

Nobody is negative just for the sake of being negative. That would be irrational. What is fun is conflict. Conflict is exciting. It is entertaining. Can you imagine a movie with two hours of characters just hugging or sh*t like that? Do you know how boring that would be? Whether you like it or not, you probably enjoy conflict too. It is the spice of life.

"Nobody is negative just for the sake of being negative"? But earlier you said, "Sometimes I'm negative because it's fun." confused13.gif

Don't worry, I'm not being negative. I'm giving you more spice in your life. pokey.gif

The results are fun.

I don't know man. You mainly seem to say contradictory things. And it doesn't even seem like you realize it. I can imagine you posting these...

Your 1st post: Tom Sawyer needs to be dropped from their setlist. It's good but not that good. I've heard enough of it and I'm sure a lot of other fans have too.

Your 2nd post: Tom Sawyer is such a great song and a worthy staple to their live gigs. I can't wait to hear it on the next tour.

Your 3rd post: I think you missed my point about what I was saying about Tom Sawyer.

Catch the drift.

Not really.

How old are you?..

It's a process.

I give out my age

People think "wow he's young! He must be stupid!"

My legitimate points get lost in the bias fest

So no, I do not give out my age.

Yeah ,that's what I figured.

Careful, your bias is showing.

Come on - admit it AEW - you're a high functioning 5 year old. Just give 'em what they wanna hear.

Just try and avoid the phrase "I made a boom boom" in your posts

All these meanies keep hurting my feelings and it hurts as much as my boo-boo on my knee cuz I fall and scrapped it on the grund.

Wow, guys! What's the polar opposite statement of "get a room, already?" unsure.gif

not following you. The opposite of get a room would mean we are not getting along swimmingly?

My bad, you guys are close buds. tongue.gif

We are (at least I would say so). We don't always see eye to eye on every issue, but I always respect his childish opinion and he better respect my grownup opinion z7shysterical.gif

I respect it as long as it matches mine. laugh.gif

I agree with the OP and don't see what the issue is here.

I can't believe the amount of flak this guy is getting.

Sounds to me like everybody is getting their panties in a bunch over a guys sense of humor...or at least what he finds humorous.

He says this:

When I see someone else joking negatively about something I like I just laugh and move on. The general feeling I get is that we need to lighten up and stop taking other peoples' (and our) opinions so seriously, myself included.

Ain't this the truth here.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 05:43 PM)

The funny thing is, people love to complain about criticism and negativity and think that somehow doing so, especially while creating a thread about it, will somehow bring about some kind of change in consciousness and result in a fountain of positivity, a shining light in the darkness.

In reality, complaining about people complaining is just more complaining and will bring about more of the same.

I agree with the people in this thread who say the conflict is fun and you shouldn't take it all so seriously. I know some people can't let go of the ideal they have in their minds that this site should be nothing but a positive smurfy care bear festival of nothing but love, acceptance and giddy schoolgirl excitement about everything Rush has ever done, but they'd be a lot further ahead to accept that it's not that way and enjoy it for what it is.

Not only do we not agree all the time, but for me personally, the threads where we don't are the most fun. It's no accident that the most controversial and heated discussions get the most views and posts. That's where the most excitement and entertainment is, at least for many of us. The results speak for themselves.

Awwww,

Coming from the man of peace and love. laugh.gif We all love you Gary! kishug.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 07:43 PM)

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I know some people can't let go of the ideal they have in their minds that this site should be nothing but a positive smurfy care bear festival of nothing but love, acceptance and giddy schoolgirl excitement about everything Rush has ever done

rofl3.gif

I love you man. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Mar 16 2012, 07:58 PM)

Awwww,

Coming from the man of peace and love. laugh.gif We all love you Gary! kishug.gif tongue.gif

laugh.gif

trink39.gif

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 16 2012, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 07:43 PM)

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I know some people can't let go of the ideal they have in their minds that this site should be nothing but a positive smurfy care bear festival of nothing but love, acceptance and giddy schoolgirl excitement about everything Rush has ever done

rofl3.gif

I love you man. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

wink.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 07:14 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Mar 16 2012, 07:58 PM)

Awwww,

laugh.gif

trink39.gif

bekloppt.gif

have a great weekend! biggrin.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 09:43 PM)

"smurfy" says the guy who has a pic of a smurf in his signature! tongue.gif laugh.gif

BTW, if you love the threads that are heated and controversial, you should love this thread then! Or is it only when it has to do with hating VT do you like the "controversial and heated discussions"? tongue.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 16 2012, 08:16 PM)

"smurfy" says the guy who has a pic of a smurf in his signature! tongue.gif laugh.gif

BTW, if you love the threads that are heated and controversial, you should love this thread then! Or is it only when it has to do with hating VT do you like the "controversial and heated discussions"? tongue.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

trink39.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 16 2012, 09:16 PM)

trink39.gif

BOTH! yes.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 16 2012, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 16 2012, 09:25 AM)
I very much enjoy recent Rush, the sonics of Vapor Trails not withstanding.  As you say, folks are entitled to not enjoy what the band's done recently, as am I to say I don't envy being that person.  That's different from loving everything the band does.  If CA is shite, then be prepared for me to say it will.  I hate it when it's perceived that anyone who claims to like the new stuff will like JUST ANY PIECE OF MATERIAL they put out there because it's Rush, etc.  The whole sheep argument.

Well just because you're constipated doesn't mean I'm the one that's full of shit.

goodpost.gif

applaudit.gif

Yeah, I completely agree with that too. That angle of thinking should work for the other side too (but it doesn't always). That is, just because some folks may not like some of the newer stuff doesn't necessarily mean they are stuck in the past.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 16 2012, 08:09 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 16 2012, 02:32 AM)
Re; negativity... yes. There is too much. It comes from the same people and it is childish in the extreme. RUSH have grown and matured and, yes, aged. I know that really pisses some people off because it reminds them that *they* have also aged. Don't take it out on the band - they can't change physics (at least not yet).

I think it's more childish to not be able to take others' opinions for what they are: opinions.

Opinions are one thing (and not the topic here in any case). What *certain* people do around here isn't opinion, it's just obnoxiousness for the sake of being an a$$hole.

I don't expect TRF to be a smurfy love fest. But OTOH, I don't have to enjoy the jerks and their lack of maturity. Of course, everyone is free to say what they wish but they can't expect there to be no consequences.

I don't even know why people come to this forum if they hate what the band is currently doing, and what they've been doing for the last 15 years. It makes no sense to me. I would hope they at least like their current live shows.

I temporarily stopped being a fan between the Hold Your Fire and Roll The Bones era. If Rush chat forums were around back then, I wouldn't be on them. But Counterparts brought me back and I've like most of the tracks on every album since then...Yes even T4E, which at the time I hated and returned to the store when it was released.

If people don't like Snakes and Arrows, and don't like the two released tracks from CA, then it's a lost cause for them...They won't like like the rest of CA nor will they like anything else the band releases...Assuming there is anything else.

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Mar 17 2012, 04:39 AM)
I don't even know why people come to this forum if they hate what the band is currently doing, and what they've been doing for the last 15 years. It makes no sense to me. I would hope they at least like their current live shows.

I temporarily stopped being a fan between the Hold Your Fire and Roll The Bones era. If Rush chat forums were around back then, I wouldn't be on them. But Counterparts brought me back and I've like most of the tracks on every album since then...Yes even T4E, which at the time I hated and returned to the store when it was released.

If people don't like Snakes and Arrows, and don't like the two released tracks from CA, then it's a lost cause for them...They won't like like the rest of CA nor will they like anything else the band releases...Assuming there is anything else.

Probably because there's a lot more to discuss than just three or four albums.

For some real controversy (and fun) these statements should be made:

bad Rush......good Rush......BIG TIME RUSH

Geddy, Alex, and Neil are sluts ohmy.gif

I basically wrote them off in 1997 - I thought "there's no way they are ever going to come back from that!" Yet they did, and as far as I am concerned, everything they did after that was gravy. When I first heard "One Little Victory", I thought "They're baaa-aack!", but the rest of the album was a bit of a disappointment for me. I bought it and went to the shows anyway and had a great time as I did 20 years before. When "Far Cry" came out, I thought "Now they're REALLY back!" but the rest of the album was a bit of a let-down. I still bought it, still went to the shows and still had a great time as I did 25 years before. Now, "Caravan" and "BU2B" really sound great to me, and with the news that this is sort of a "concept" album, I can't help but think "This time they are back for real!" I'll buy the albums, I'll go to the shows and I will have a great time, just as I did 30 years ago. One day, they will not be around anymore, and maybe then they will get the recognition they deserve, and those of us lucky enough to have seen them will remember. Those who don't like the newer material will always have "Moving Pictures", and I guess you can never take that away!

Everybody is different. Hold Your Fire holds such a special place with me that if that had been their last album (it was rumored as such in 1988), they would have left on top as far as I was concerned.

Still my favorite album and concert. And, for me, it has yet to be topped. Others will disagree, but that's how it goes.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 17 2012, 11:07 AM)
Everybody is different. Hold Your Fire holds such a special place with me that if that had been their last album (it was rumored as such in 1988), they would have left on top as far as I was concerned.

Still my favorite album and concert. And, for me, it has yet to be topped. Others will disagree, but that's how it goes.

I used to think that and PoW were their worst albums... Then I listened to Test for Echo. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 17 2012, 10:29 AM)
Negativity and opinions are completely different things. Lots of people don't like their newer material a whole lot.......and the fanboys have trouble dealing with it.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

[/thread]

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 17 2012, 11:29 AM)
Negativity and opinions are completely different things. Lots of people don't like their newer material a whole lot.......and the fanboys have trouble dealing with it.

And a lot of people don't like the older material as much as the newer (and I'm using Moving Pictures as the line between "older" and "newer" for this) and they get shit on by the old timers as a result, so it works both ways.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 17 2012, 11:47 AM)

And a lot of people don't like the older material as much as the newer (and I'm using Moving Pictures as the line between "older" and "newer" for this) and they get shit on by the old timers as a result, so it works both ways.

Yeah cuz anyone who doesn't like their older stuff is fing.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 17 2012, 12:47 PM)

And a lot of people don't like the older material as much as the newer (and I'm using Moving Pictures as the line between "older" and "newer" for this) and they get schooled by the old timers as a result, so it works both ways.

Corrected