So much negativity

Lost In Xanadu

In 1997/98 Neil faced 2 terrible tragedies, and it looked like Rush may just be done for good. Then - Neil healed and they came together and made Vapor Trails in 2002, followed up with Feedback 2 years later, and Snakes and Arrows in 2007.

Many people on here have a strong dislike for these 3 albums, and I can't hold that against them - that's their opinion. Some of those same people think that CA is going to be garbage based on their opinion of the first 2 songs. Yet others are getting angry with the band for not putting out any info about the new album, and I understand your frustration - I am excited too. I have listened to nothing but Rush pretty much all week.

I am glad they didn't hang it up back in the late 90's, and I'm sure the vast majority here would agree. Even if you might not like all of the newer stuff, at least you get to see them tour and play some of your old favorites.

Rush has evolved thru the years, and I have let my appreciation for their music do the same.... just like with Van Halen - I like both Dave and Sammy songs (sorry MD laugh.gif)

trink39.gif to 2.gif

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I've new to this forum, and there seems to be a lot of negativity against new material here.

To each there own, but I myself am looking forward to new Rush material. I feel I NEED it, after Springsteens depressing new album.

2.gif

-Kent

It's not that a lot of people are negative towards the new material. The people that don't like the material just cry louder. Edited by USB Connector

Have to agree with the OP. I look forward to every shred of material that Rush will put out.

It's not a matter new being better or worse than the old material it's just different. A group of 24 year old musicians is going to write material that is very different than a group of 54 year olds and guess what....I'm thirty years older too so I can relate. I just don't understand the need to put Rush albums into these little categories of I like or I hate. It's all good to me.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Mar 15 2012, 01:28 PM)
It's not that a lot of people are negative towards the new material. The people that don't like the material just cry louder.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Kent @ Mar 15 2012, 01:24 PM)
Agreed. I've new to this forum, and there seems to be a lot of negativity against new material here.

To each there own, but I myself am looking forward to new Rush material. I feel I NEED it, after Springsteens depressing new album.

2.gif

-Kent

Welcome to the Forum, Kent.

Yeah, there's negativity, but it's usaually the same 7 or so members that stop in to post the same complaints in multiple threads. It seems like a lot of negativity, but it's probably more like a massive amount of repetition from the noisy few.

trink39.gif

No Negativity here brother mouse no.gif I love the 2 new songs and only Dislike/Hate 3 albums out of the lot. People are not going to like Everything by the band so screw it , as long as the music makes You happy .

Hey...new guy on the forum. Been a Rush fan since I was 15 (that was 1989 BTW)

First "New" rush album I purchased was Presto (still a fave because it was my first)...went back and worked my way through the catalogue...and have been a Rush fanatic ever since. I have been lurking for awhile...I feel about Rush the way I do about life. Do I agree with a lot of people that the "old school" albums are better...yes. But I also wish i was 15 again...but Rush will never re-do Moving Pictures or Hemisphere just like I will never be 15 again. The music of Rush keeps evolving...my god...just the fact that they are still making music, and are more relevant now than ever is a miracle. I really thought, after the dark year that was 1997-1998 that there would never be another Rush album, and more importantly, another tour. I do agree that those who don't like the newer music have a right to their opinion, but If you don't like the band anymore, why waste time posting on a site with nothing but negative stuff? I used to love Queensryche, but since Empire I think they've gone in the tank...guess what, i don't go on any Queensryche fan forums just to complain about the new queensryche music! Anyway...nuff said

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 15 2012, 01:39 PM)
I think the fact that their new material isn't as good probably adds to that.

yes.gif Not as good doesn't mean bad - to me at least.

A lot of their synth stuff wasn't well received, and some people like it now. It all has to do with distance. 10 years after they stop making new albums, some might find a new appreciation for some of their later work. Took a few years for me, but I like most of S&A now. Didn't like it too much at first, but it grew on me

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 15 2012, 03:31 PM)
I don't mind the new material...Now T4E I mind. 062802puke_prv.gif

Least favorite album as well..BUT, Totem is my absolute jam and Resist is completely epic. Also, the first minute of Test For Echo, and Driven are pretty all-time as well. The rest is absolutely forgettable IMO, good riffs here and there but overall just not the Rush I love. Still dont know what happened unsure.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Mar 15 2012, 03:36 PM)

Least favorite album as well..BUT, Totem is my absolute jam and Resist is completely epic. Also, the first minute of Test For Echo, and Driven are pretty all-time as well. The rest is absolutely forgettable IMO, good riffs here and there but overall just not the Rush I love. Still dont know what happened unsure.gif

What about Half The World - no likey that one too? I thing that is one of my favorites off the album

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 15 2012, 04:44 PM)

What about Half The World - no likey that one too? I thing that is one of my favorites off the album

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 15 2012, 03:44 PM)

Half the World would be a darn good song if he didn't say the word "half" so many times. The repetition gets annoying for me. I still like the tune, but it's not one of my T4E faves. I like a lot of songs on that album that many other folks don't (The Color of Right, Virtuality, etc.)

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 15 2012, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 15 2012, 03:44 PM)

Half the World would be a darn good song if he didn't say the word "half" so many times. The repetition gets annoying for me. I still like the tune, but it's not one of my T4E faves. I like a lot of songs on that album that many other folks don't (The Color of Right, Virtuality, etc.)

I like Virtuality and LOVE The Color of Right!

trink39.gif

Sometimes I'm negative because it's fun. Its infinitely more enjoyable to make a (seemingly) witty comment about an album or song I don't like than just shut up and not say anything. That said, people should take it for what it is. Its just my attempt at humor. When I see someone else joking negatively about something I like I just laugh and move on. The general feeling I get is that we need to lighten up and stop taking other peoples' (and our) opinions so seriously, myself included.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 15 2012, 06:44 PM)
Sometimes I'm negative because it's fun. Its infinitely more enjoyable to make a (seemingly) witty comment about an album or song I don't like than just shut up and not say anything. That said, people should take it for what it is. Its just my attempt at humor. When I see someone else joking negatively about something I like I just laugh and move on. The general feeling I get is that we need to lighten up and stop taking other peoples' (and our) opinions so seriously, myself included.

Your comments are hardly the ones that I am referring to. You can tell when someone is making a "(seemingly) witty comment" and a flat out negative (AND PERSONAL) comments.

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 15 2012, 10:44 PM)

Some people will never get this.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 15 2012, 05:59 PM)
Rush really should put an effort into not sucking so much. If they do that things around here would be much more positive.

I will certainly give accolades to Rush, where due, and I'm not shy to point out carelessness. They have a serious obligation to us (and themselves!) to release good quality work. Its really phucking sinful to not work a little harder to iron-out obvious weaknesses in their music and lyrics. It fouls everything in the past they've worked so hard for. Disgrace over pressure.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 15 2012, 08:09 PM)
Rush really should put an effort into not sucking so much. If they do that things around here would be much more positive.

I will certainly give accolades to Rush, where due, and I'm not shy to point out carelessness. They have a serious obligation to us (and themselves!) to release good quality work. Its really phucking sinful to not work a little harder to iron-out obvious weaknesses in their music and lyrics. It fouls everything in the past they've worked so hard for. Disgrace over pressure.

You should manage them and put a fire under their asses!

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 15 2012, 08:09 PM)

Vapor Trails. How? How? Really.. how the f-ck did that HAPPEN!?!?!?! laugh.gif