Whats your favorite song on Snakes and Arrows?

GeddyLeeFender

What is your favorite song off Snakes and Arrows?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite song off Snakes and Arrows?

• 1. Far Cry
    • 2. Armor and Sword
    • 3. Workin' Them Angels
    • 4. The Larger Bowl
    • 5. Spindrift
    • 6. Main Monkey Business
    • 7. The Way The Wind Blows
    • 8. Hope
    • 9. Faithless
    • 10. Bravest Face
    • 11. Good News First
    • 12. Malignant Narcissism
    • 13. We Hold On

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said Workin' Them Angels from the first time I heard the album, and I guess I'll say it again, but Armor and Sword is incredible and just keeps rising in my esteem as time goes by. Edited by Cyclonus X-1

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 13 2012, 06:54 PM)
I've said Workin' Them Angels from the first time I heard the album, and I guess I'll say it again, but Armor and Sword is incredible and just keeps rising in my esteem as time goes by.

I don't get all the love for Workin Them Angels. I mean it's a decent song and all but it's just a slow tempo straight ahead song kind of like Half The World. Not what I was looking for from Rush on that record. In fact there are many slow tempo straight ahead songs on SnA. I hope they do a 180 on CA. I want faster tempos, more aggression, and more complexity. From everything I've heard they are going that direction.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 13 2012, 04:51 PM)
Faithless.

Bring it on, haters. biggrin.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

Great tune, one of my favorites too, this is a hard vote, so many good ones. I know Spindrift will not get it, no no..

umm ummm ummm cool10.gif signs015.gif

Far Cry, We Hold On, Workin' Them Angels, The Larger Bowl.. Good stuff..

I really can't answer this yet. I just got S&A. The Larger Bowl is definitely in the running at this point. I didn't like it on S&A Live, but as soon as I heard the album version, it clicked.

Faithless is a song that has completely grown on me. At first I was kind of offended by it, but I can't deny that the lyrics are earnestly written and I just like the music involved.

Far Cry is way better live. The studio version is very weak compared to the S&A Live and TMT versions. If I had to pick a favorite right now, it would probably be Far Cry, but not the studio version.

Malignant Narcissism is also really good. It's just the right length so it doesn't get repetitive, unlike the Main Monkey Business. MMB starts off really cool and then runs out of ideas about half way through.

Finally, Workin' them Angels and Armor & Sword. Angels is really a good song, but I don't have too much to say about it. It just rocks. A&S is good too especially the lyrics, but it's not something I listen to all the time.

I can take or leave the rest.

[EDIT: Hope is also really good. Just AlexFinal.gif playing some sweet folk inspired stuff.

I'm enjoying Snakes and Arrows a lot more than I thought I would. Very good album.]

Edited by Dscrapre

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 13 2012, 07:06 PM)
Faithless for me. Don't agree with the lyrics, but I respect and "get" them. Plus I love the music.

Edited because my grammar sucks today...ok everyday biggrin.gif

Faithless is really good and definitely my second favorite..but overall I liked Snakes and Arrows a lot when it was released. Now its kinda on the backburner, every month or so ill listen to the whole thing. atickhum.gif

Mal Nar, followed by Far Cry.

S&A is my least favorite Rush album, only VT comes close.

This is a very, very strong album with tons of good songs on it.

The first time I listened to it only 1 song stuck out to me and that was "Working Them Angeles". The very next time I listened "The Main Monkey Business" clicked. After that every time I listened to the album another song clicked with me until I liked most of the album (their still are a couple of songs that have not caught fire with me).

So what is my favorite? Voted for "Working The Angeles". First song on the CD that clicked with me and its still my favorite. In addition, it did not disappoint in concert.

Main Monkey Business would be in 2nd place, then Far Cry, then The Larger Bowl, then Armor & Sword, then Hope. After that - very hard to pick.

By the way - I liked the tempo on this album and hope CA is somewhat like it. Based on what Caravan and BU2B were like it will not be and I am somewhat worried by that. Those 2 songs have not thrilled me (to date).

Armor and Sword definitely. Was hoping they'd play that on the TM tour rather than Workin Them Angels, but ah well.

Far Cry and Faithless are close behind.

Here's my edited version of Snakes & Arrows:

Far Cry

Armor & Sword

Workin' Them Angels

Spindrift

The Main Monkey Business

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

We Hold On

I like all these songs with "Workin' Them Angels" being my favorite.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 13 2012, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 13 2012, 06:54 PM)
I've said Workin' Them Angels from the first time I heard the album, and I guess I'll say it again, but Armor and Sword is incredible and just keeps rising in my esteem as time goes by.

I don't get all the love for Workin Them Angels. I mean it's a decent song and all but it's just a slow tempo straight ahead song kind of like Half The World. Not what I was looking for from Rush on that record. In fact there are many slow tempo straight ahead songs on SnA. I hope they do a 180 on CA. I want faster tempos, more aggression, and more complexity. From everything I've heard they are going that direction.

The hook as the song transitions into its chorus really works for me, and I dig the lyrics too. I think it has more of an edge to it than Half the World does (and it isn't as irritatingly repetitive lyrically). Also, I consider it a case where vocal overdubs worked extremely well (Armor and Sword is another).

But, certainly, I can understand how you and others who like Rush songs to be more complex/adventurous and faster paced wouldn't be enamored with Workin' Them Angels. Personally, I liked the general pacing and the acoustical material on Snakes & Arrows. At the same time, I'm not sad that the band is moving in a different direction with CA. One of the coolest things about the group for me is how they're constantly trying (and finding ways to be successful with) new approaches. Of course, different approaches appeal to different fans, but differing opinions can be fun to discuss. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 13 2012, 07:52 PM)
The hook as the song transitions into its chorus really works for me, and I dig the lyrics too. I think it has more of an edge to it than Half the World does (and it isn't as irritatingly repetitive lyrically).

The Tourette's Syndrome Men's Chorus couldn't record a song as repetitively annoying lyrically/vocally as Half the World.

i have had this disc in my car stereo for over a month and i really can't say that there's any that i don't like. Malignant Narcissism and Far Cry kick ass, and Faithless, Way the Wind Blows, and Armour and Sword all grew on me when i listened to it over again.

before the Vancouver show i never really knew Faithless, Marathon, or Presto but now all three are among my favourites.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Mar 13 2012, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 13 2012, 07:52 PM)
The hook as the song transitions into its chorus really works for me, and I dig the lyrics too.  I think it has more of an edge to it than Half the World does (and it isn't as irritatingly repetitive lyrically).

The Tourette's Syndrome Men's Chorus couldn't record a song as repetitively annoying lyrically/vocally as Half the World.

biggrin.gif

Surprised that MalNar isn't getting more love. By far my favorite on the album.

I like it a lot. I'd say it's my "third favorite" on the album, placing behind WTA and A&S.

I feel S&A is a really strong album. Best album since Counterparts. But for me, there are so many Rush albums that I really like that this may be near the bottom of the list, but that doesn't make it a bad album. If Clockwork Angels is just as good, I'll be happy.

Armor & Sword EASILY. The song is a masterpiece. 1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Far Cry is easily second, followed closely by Workin' Them Angels. Too bad they had to frontload the album with the 3 best songs as the rest can't maintain that quality, but still - amazing songs all. yes.gif