Whitney Houston dead at 48

laughedatbytime

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unclear.

At her peak in the 1980s and `90s, Houston the golden girl of the music industry and one of the world's best-selling artists.

Among her hits were "How Will I Know," "Saving All My Love for You" and "I Will Always Love You." She won multiple Grammys including album and record of the year.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies like "The Bodyguard."

But by the end of her career, drug use took its toll as her record sales plummeted and her voice became raspy and hoarse.

Sad, cautionary tale... rose.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupsPg5H6aE

Her rendition of the National Anthem at Super Bowl XXV, in happier days for her.

Shit! I was just reading about her the other day! The "press" were taking a lot of supposedly unflattering pictures of her, and were trying to run her down. To me it looked like she was just having a night out. And I thought she looked good anyway.

Here's the news story I was reading just in case anyone is interested:

(and that "Houston we have a problem" headline got old about 20 years ago)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...worse-wear.html

I know she went off the rails the last few years but I liked her and she was a great singer!

RIP Whitney.

sad.gif rose.gif

Edited by treeduck

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Feb 11 2012, 08:42 PM)
Got a few of her 80s hits on my iPod just to take me back to my childhood. Haven't been this shocked since Heath died. Thought she kicked the habit but I guess I'm probably wrong. Guess tabloid magazines are right sometimes.

RIP rose.gif

Drugs may not have been directly involved, but cocaine does screw up your heart. John Entwhistle died of cocaine-related heart problems, I believe.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Feb 11 2012, 07:21 PM)
Never listened to anything by her. I kinda don't feel anything. I probably should feel bad about that.

No you shouldn't. You weren't a fan, friend or relative. She was no more or less special than any other human being, so unless you feel something whenever *anyone* dies, there's no reason to feel anything for her death.

I don't feel anything, either. No reason to, and no reason to feel bad about not feeling anything.

She went off the rails of the crazy train of Cocaine/drug abuse...

and unfortunely today , paid the ultimate price. Sad story..Beautiful voice. Condolences to her family and friends.

RIP sad.gif

That drug will get ya...if you let it.Don't let it getcha.

That stuff is bad news.....

Bobby Brown should be arrested for Murder. He ruined her life . If indeed it is drugs

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 11 2012, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 11 2012, 08:58 PM)
Bobby Brown should be arrested for Murder. He ruined her life .  If indeed it is drugs

Agreed! trink39.gif

I don't agree. I mean I don't know the whole story (and honestly, I don't want to know), but aren't people responsible for their own actions? confused13.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 11 2012, 11:36 PM)
Let's not forget about her movie career. I actually liked "My Bodyguard" with Kevin Costner.

Had a hard time finding Whitney and Kevin in the trailer...

R.I.P. Whitney sad.gif rose.gif

Admittedly not a big fan but there is one ballad of hers I really like but cannot remember the title...I believe it is from her 2nd album.

Very talented lady. Not big on anthems but her Super Bowl XXV performance of Star Spangled Banner was best ever hands down.